Mission Bay San Diego

by on November 10, 2008 · 22 comments

Hello from Mission Bay, San Diego! We’re heading home and I have lots to write about (we used VRBO for the first time), but first, here are a few pictures. I forgot the cord that connects the camera to the computer, so for now, I only have iPhone photos.

The San Diego zoo is incredible. We’ve visited zoos all over the country and this one is the best! It’s shady, cool, pretty, and all the animals seem healthy and friendly. And there are pandas.

I’ll post more photos soon. As for cookies, I’ve been stocking up on whatever I can get from Trader Joe’s. I love their crunchy little chocolate chip cookies that come in the big tub and I’ve eaten a ton of their anti-oxidant granola. Here in California, they also sell vegan muffins from Zen Bakery.  Those are growing on me (though they taste a little healthy).

Despite all the trips to Trader Joe’s, we’ve managed to fit in some great restaurant meals which I’ll tell you about later. We also found two new spots for the Sweet Places page – George’s Modern in La Jolla for their desserts and Powell’s Candy Store, which is definitely the best candy store I’ve ever visited.

Published on November 10, 2008

Joanna November 10, 2008 at 10:44 am

i love trader joe’s too. we don’t go to it very often because we live far away from it, but when we do, it’s always a zoo there. it’s so packed!!! your pictures are so cute. i’ve never seen pandas at the zoo! what a fun experience.

Katrina November 10, 2008 at 10:59 am

Cool! Can’t wait to hear and see more. That zoo sounds awesome. In Tucson, where we used to live, their zoo only takes about an hour to go through and now here, in Topeka, it’s about the same. KC zoo isn’t bad, but pandas–no! I wanna go. ;)

Emily Rose November 10, 2008 at 11:07 am

I would be stocking up at Trade Joe’s too! I hope that we get some down here in the deep South soon!

VeggieGirl November 10, 2008 at 11:31 am

SO fun!!!

What a cute panda, and lovely photo of you and Fuzz :-)

jennywenny November 10, 2008 at 11:42 am

Glad you had fun in San Diego! It is a great place…

RecipeGirl November 10, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Glad you had a great time! I’d have had you over for cookies if I’d known you were coming… I’m only a short drive from Mission Bay :)

sharon November 10, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Glad you’re enjoying your time! The Iphone takes some great photos, huh? Well I’ve lived in San Diego for over a year and still haven’t been to the zoo!

cookienurse November 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm

I live in San Diego, too! Can’t wait to hear more about your adventures!

snookydoodle November 10, 2008 at 2:10 pm

wow !!! the panda is really cute :) enjoy it :)

Tiffany November 10, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your experience with VRBO. We rented a house in FL and are looking at renting another in a different location.

clumbsycookie November 10, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Cool cool! I love the Panda! I’m sure you bought a lot of stuff in Trader Joe’s to use in cookies back at home!

N. November 10, 2008 at 3:39 pm

For the pandas alone I wish I could make it to the San Diego zoo… maybe one day.

Kim November 10, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I was just in San Diego in July! The zoo was incredible! The pandas were draped over the branches up high in the trees and were so cute. We also spent an afternoon at Mission Beach and I got incredibly sunburned, white midwestern girl that I am. We watched some awesome old-school roller skaters on the beachwalk area. I’d go back to visit SD in a heartbeat–it was beautiful.

Sue November 10, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I’m surprised by the quality of the Iphone photos! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip!

Rina November 10, 2008 at 6:08 pm

If you still have time to squeeze in a trip to Trader Joe’s, try the triple-ginger gingersnaps and/or the dark chocolate covered graham crackers. Both are amazing (and I don’t even like ginger normally)! Glad you are enjoying your trip, can’t wait to hear more about it!

Dani November 10, 2008 at 6:24 pm

enjoy your trip :):):):):)

Stephanie November 10, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I, too, made a run to Trader Joe’s this weekend. Luckily mine is only 30 minutes away! :-) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE TJ’S! :-)

BTW, I tried Pat’s Cookie Bars and they were TERRIFIC! I’ll definitely be making them again. I even posted a review and reference to your blog on mine. :-)

Also, GREAT shot of the panda! Sounds like you had an awesome trip!

Anna November 10, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Joanna, I think San Diego and Atlanta are the only zoos who have pandas. Not sure about that, though.

Katrina, ditto on the panda issue. You’ll have to do some more traveling to see pandas.

VG, thanks!

Emily, you’ll probably get one before we do.

Jenny, Recipegirl, Sharon and Cookienurse — we probably drove by your houses today ;). We’ve covered lots of ground. Oh, and I’m jealous of all of you. It’s so nice hear. Austin’s nice too, but I like the beach.

Snookydoodle, On my REAL camera, I have a picture of the BABY panda sleeping in a tree. Talk about cute.

Tiffany, we can trade notes via email if you want. So far, working with VRBO was simple. Condo is amazing, but there are kinks. I would do it again, though.

Rita, I didn’t buy any ingredients at TJ’s.

N., you would like it. Each animal exhibit has a sign saying what level the animal is in terms of being endangered. A lot of animals are in the “vulnerable” category but a suprising number were “endangered”. Sad.

Kim, I’m white and pasty too. If I lived here I’d spend a fortune on sunscreen and dermatology.

Sue, I’ll tell Todd you said that about this photos. He loves his iPhone.

Rina, believe it or not, those are two of the types of cookies we bought. I like the triple ginger and the little chocolate chip best. Todd likes the chocolate covered graham.

Dani, thanks!

Stephanie, Pat is a multiple award winning cook and baker, so it’s not wonder. I made those bars so I’d have something to ship to Iraq, but I think I’ll make them for myself as well.

Jackie November 10, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Lucky me! I have a Trader Joe’s only ten minutes from my house! In fact I was there today. I bought the triple ginger cookies to use in Sauerbraten. I am going to use the recipe on penzeys.com. Living so close to TJ’s is not so good for my wallet as I spend a fortune there.
We were in Atlanta this summer and saw the pandas. They are so cute. The mother panda had another baby just a week or so after we left.

Maureen November 10, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Hey Anna,
So glad you liked San Diego! We are heading to La Jolla for a long weekend Friday. San Diego (specifically La Jolla and Del Mar are our “happy place.”)

Oooh, and if I knew you were going to Trader Joes, I would have had a couple GREAT wine recommendations for you. Esp. one that you can only get at the CA Trader Joe’s.

Maybe we should both move there!

Kath November 11, 2008 at 12:25 am

Anna,
I visit your blog EVERYDAY for new ideas, but I think you may have met your match with this site!

I have NO clue how i stumbled across it, but they have some pretty incredible recipes, although lacking in pictures :-(. Not only cookie recipes, but seriously anything you can think of is on that site under one of the links! Enjoy and I hope you test some of those out they are quite interesting!

Stacy J-M November 11, 2008 at 3:27 pm

If you’re still in San Diego, you must take yourself to Extrordinary Desserts. Beautiful, delicious creations, the sort I still dream about. You will love it.