Crinkle Cookies Take 2

by on December 19, 2008 · 25 comments

UPDATE: Nobody really liked these cookies so I’m deleting the revised version and linking directly to the NPR version. I tried to improve the cookies a bit (as noted) and am getting mixed reviews, but am not sure if people are using NPR’s version or my revised version with notes.

Here’s a link to NPR’s corrected recipe and below I’ve noted more changes. I added a little espresso powder and used parchment instead of Release foil. I think the cookies might spread a little more on the Release foil.

Shirley Corriher NPR Crinkle Cookies

Notes: I thought the original version was a  too sweet so I tried it again with half unsweetened chocolate and half semi-sweet. I liked that version a better. I also liked it better with slightly more oil (6 tablespoons as opposed to 1/3 cup). Still don’t love crinkle cookies.

Published on December 19, 2008

snookydoodle December 20, 2008 at 4:50 am

I prefer the puffier version although they both look yummy

Carole R. December 20, 2008 at 8:11 am

Frozen butter is on counter softening. Will make these this afternoon.

mrsblocko December 20, 2008 at 8:56 am

butter? am I missing something?

Chocolate crinkles are my husband’s favorite cookie but they are just so so to me. This version is different from the recipe i have. I cant wait to try it and see if they become my new favorite too!

Rachel B December 20, 2008 at 9:26 am

I’ve never understood the appeal of crinkle cookies, but I think the secret is that they have to be something your grandma made. People go wild over them when you bring them to parties. I should try these, because they look like they could actually be tasty, too! The last batch I made, I added espresso powder, too, and mini chocolate chips. Definite improvement.

Anna December 20, 2008 at 10:06 am

I finally tasted these this morning. They look good, but they are too sweet for my tastes. I’m wondering if using half unsweetened chocolate plus half 70 or even 85% chocolate would work better.

Sue December 20, 2008 at 10:20 am

So sorry you ended up with a stomach ache! For whatever it’s worth the second batch is prettier. Too bad they’re so sweet. Will there be a version three or have you had it with crinkle cookies for the time being? Either way I’ll stay tuned. :-)

Sue December 20, 2008 at 10:25 am

Huh! I don’t know what I’m talking about! There is only one crinkle cookie photo posted, and they’re pretty. ‘nuf said!

Janice December 20, 2008 at 11:33 am

Anna,
These cookies look great but the taste? Goodness, I think they might be too sweet for even the most devoted lover of sweets. It’s a pretty cookie but I don’t think I’ll be making this version again.

Anna December 20, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Sue, I took the first one down. Those cookies tasted good, but the recipe was flawed.

Janice, I went ahead and tested a THIRD version with half non-sweet chocolate and half semi-sweet. That version was better. But overall, I think I’ll move on to a new cookie.

Sarah December 20, 2008 at 12:56 pm

These are the cookies that remind me of my grandma…she always made these at Christmas time. The recipe I have for these taste almost like brownies…very yum!

Alton December 20, 2008 at 1:16 pm

When I was making these last night I thought that was a lot of oil. I hope they are good because it looks like it makes a lot.
Anna, I check you first thing after my email every morning And have tried a lot of goodies.
If you say its good I believe it.

Anna December 20, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Sarah, you would probably like this one.

Alton, I highly recommend making these with half unsweetened chocolate and half semi-sweet. The original version using 8 oz of semi-sweet just seemed too sweet to me, but I did like the half & half version.

Carrie December 20, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Mine came out totally flat. Perhaps 3 hours wasn’t enough dough chilling. I froze some ready made balls and I’ll try those tomorrow. They do taste rather sweet.

susan December 20, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Check out one of my favorite blogs…bread and honey……same recipe, much fewer ingredients…good luck!

Jill - GlossyVeneer December 20, 2008 at 8:59 pm

I have to admit, these do look a little more like the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies I know… I like the cookies, but I kept messing up on their name when my husband and I were making them a few years ago and I kept calling them “Chocolate Crackle – because they crack”. Well, that evolved into just calling them “Chocolate Crack” around here.

Jenn's Baking Chamber December 20, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I will have to agree, I find crinkle cookies to be too sweet and I am yet to find a crinkle cookie recipe that I like. I’ll have to give yours a try and see how I like it. Thanks for the post! happy holidays!

Nicole December 22, 2008 at 12:26 pm

I love reading your blog! I made these using a Hershey’s recipe for a workplace bake-off and although I didn’t win, three people asked for the recipe.

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 9:41 am

I made these with the correct amount of oil: 1/3 cup. Not good cookies! Granular, sickenly sweet, dough was super stiff and hard. I do NOT recommend them!

Anna January 8, 2009 at 9:46 am

Anonymous, I’m going to have to agree with you. I love Shirley’s book and CookWise has so much to offer, but I actually liked my oily version better! Albeit, it was not ideal.

julie January 9, 2009 at 12:38 pm

i made this recipe, actually DOUBLED it,
and threw ALL the cookies away… i swore there was a typo… there was way too much sugar… the “granules” were like sand when you chewed them…. i was SO disappointed… now you say it was the oil that was wrongly amounted??!
i will never make these again… i was so upset that i had spent all that time on these!!! oh, well!!…?

Anna January 9, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Julie, NPR has a note above the recipe on their web page saying the original amount of oil was wrong. They originally called for a cup, but the cookies came out oily. They corrected the recipe to 1/3 cup.

I found the above version to be less sweet when I used 4 oz unsweetened choc. and 4 oz semi-sweet as noted. But even with that change, I still didn’t love these.

Louise January 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Hello. I just found your website recently and was really happy to find others as enthralled with Cookiedom as myself. Before you write off chocolate crinkle cookies totally, try these. I used hazelnuts instead of walnuts and Frangelica for the liqueur. I think I cut the liqueur quantity to a third cup as I was looking at another recipe from “The Good Cookie” by Tish Boyle. Note that there is no sugar other than the coating, so they are not overly sweet.
http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/1990s/1999/12/chocolate-sambuca-crinkle-cookies These held up well too when kept in a tin in the cold garage. This recipe and one called Chocolate Caramel Treasures were originally in Gourmet Dec. 1999. Both are great cookies. http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/chocolatecarmeltreasures.shtml Thanks so much for your great website.

Anna January 11, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Hi Louise,

Thanks for stopping by! Don’t worry. I won’t give up on Crinkle Cookies.

Also, I’m excited about trying that Gourmet recipe with your changes. I have some Frangelica, so I’ll use that too.

karen January 29, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been a secret admirer of your blog for a few months now. I don’t know the original source, but I received this beyond amazing choc. crinkle cookies recipe from a friend several years ago. I guess it could be the Hershey’s version, I’ve just never researched that? But now we make these all the time and the cookies are incredible…although we still can’t decide if they taste more like a cookie or a chewy, fudgy brownie, but either way they’re extremely delicious!!!

Just be sure to allow enough time to make them, since the dough has to be refrigerated for 6 hours or until firm before you can bake them. I usually make the dough the night before.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

2 cups sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup Hershey’s cocoa
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Powdered sugar

In a large bowl or electric mixer, mix together sugar, oil, and cocoa. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder. Combine dry ingredients with cocoa mixture and blend well.

Refrigerate dough for 6 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls. Heat over to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until done.

Makes about 4 dozen.

Jude December 14, 2009 at 10:40 am

I tried the crinkle recipe from bakewise as printed but it was inedible and sickeningly sweet. I was so disappointed in the results and had to throw everything out.

I’ve been hearing good things about Martha Stewart’s recipe for “crackle” cookies so I’ll try that out.