Four Seasons Chocolate Ginger Cookies

by on December 17, 2008 · 17 comments

Today’s recipe is from Kristin, who fell in love with these cookies at the Four Seasons Teddy Bear Christmas Tea, and had the chutzpah guts to ask Naomi Gallego, the Four Seasons Pastry Chef, for the recipe.

I made a half batch today, and as I read the ingredient list I was a little surprised to see that it did not include eggs. To be safe, I checked the Martha Stewart Cookie Book which features a very similar cookie on the cover. Martha’s recipe didn’t contain eggs either, so that’s good news for those of you with egg allergies and vegans.

As for the cookies, they were excellent and despite all the ginger, not overpoweringly gingery. I left out the crystallized ginger and used 2 tablespoons fresh ginger instead. Also, cook time in my oven turned out to be more like 9 minutes. These cook quickly!

Kristin’s recipe is here.

Four Seasons Ginger Cookies.

Published on December 17, 2008

Lara December 17, 2008 at 1:58 pm

mmmmm! Those look like must-bakes to me!

Kristin December 17, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Thanks so much Anna! And, you were smart to double check on the eggs. One time I actually left chicken off the ingredient list on my Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. I could use an editor. ;)

VeggieGirl December 17, 2008 at 2:54 pm

DAMN those look wonderful.

dawn December 17, 2008 at 3:21 pm

oh those so good. I have never made a chocolate cookie with ginger…sounds like a great pairing.

Catherine December 17, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Two of my favorite flavors! What a great recipe. I love it that it has no eggs, because I’m always discovering that I have none, when I start a cookie dough!
That is awesome she went right up to the chef! Props! I do that all the time. Sometimes I get tossed right outta the kitchen! Oh well, no pain, no gain!

Anna December 17, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Lara, they are really good! I think next time I might try Martha Stewart’s.

Kristin, I leave off ingredients all the time. Anyway, luckily you didn’t! This is a great recipe and since it’s egg-free it should be easy to make vegan.

…..so Veggiegirl can make them ;).

Dawn, I was a little hesitant to make these but the chocolate/ginger combo was really good.

Catherine, good for you for asking for recipes. I have no idea how chefs feel about that. I guess some like it and some hate it. I never even thought to go find the chef and ask for a recipe.

Emily December 17, 2008 at 5:19 pm

These look like the perfect cookies to make on a cold rainy today. Wait, today happens to be cold and rainy. If you need me I’ll be in the kitchen. :)

cookienurse December 17, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Oh, Anna, thank you! I’ve never made ginger cookies for Christmas and I was determined to do so this year. These seem to be perfect!

Mattie January 22, 2009 at 10:27 am

Anna, Anna!

You may or may not recall me emailing you about the gingersnaps from Whole Foods (last year, oh so long ago!!) I am in love with these (and any/all gingersnaps) but especially the texture of these. Anyway I noticed that at http://www.davidlebovitz.com/ he was on much this same pursuit and seems to have succeeded! I am so excited I can hardly wait to get home to make these. In any event, I thought I would pass this along to you. I will let you know how mine turn out, but David is pretty spot on with whatever he takes on, so I feel certain these will be good! As always, keep up the great work you do with this site. Love it!
Mattie

Ana June 3, 2010 at 7:13 am

Thanks so much on this cookies, I would realy wonted to make them, but I have one problem, since I come from Serbia, I don’t understand how much butter to put,I couldn’t find out how much is 2 sticks, our butter has 250g…Could you please explain that a little better, I would be very gled to try this cookies!:-)

Anna June 3, 2010 at 7:30 am

Hi Ana,

This particular recipe doesn’t have metric measurements on it, but maybe I can help. 2 sticks of butter = 8 oz which = 230 grams.

336 grams chocolate chips (bittersweet or semi-sweet)
400 grams (3 cups + 2 Tbs) all-purpose flour
13 ml ginger
10 ml baking soda
10 ml cinnamon
2 ml ground cloves
2 ml tsp freshly ground nutmeg
30 ml cocoa powder (I used ScharffenBerger)
230 grams (2 sticks) butter
30 ml crystallized ginger, chopped
240 grams brown sugar
240 ml/320 grams molasses
bowl of granulated sugar for dusting

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and the brown sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Slowly add molasses scraping well after each addition.

Sift all of the dry ingredients and add them along with the chocolate chips and crystalized ginger bits to the bowl and mix until just combined.

Store the dough in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, over night is better.

Scoop about a tablespoon full of dough and roll in the palms of your hands until perfectly round and compact. This is super messy, but so worth it!

Roll the rounded dough balls in sugar to coat and place on baking sheet.

Bake until puffy. These cookies are best when slightly under baked. After several attempts to determine the perfect baking time, 5 minutes yielded the perfect cookie for my taste.

Allow cookies to cool and store in an airtight container

Linda Frank November 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Kristin, I found your blog but can not open the recipe. I keep trying but I keep getting URL unavailable. The Chocolate Ginger Cookies are just what I am looking for. I have copied the metric recipe but wondered if you could send me the original one as I lack the metric measuring system. Thank you-Linda

Upstate NY Native December 12, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Linda – here it is,cut & pasted

Chocolate Ginger Cookies

From the Four Seasons Hotel

12 oz chocolate chips (I used a mix of Ghirardelli semi-sweet and 60% bittersweet)
3 cups + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp ginger
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2 Tbs cocoa powder (I used ScharffenBerger)
2 sticks butter
2 Tbs crystallized ginger (Whole Foods in bulk!), chopped as tiny as you can
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
bowl of granulated sugar for dusting

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Store the dough in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, over night is better.

Roll the rounded dough balls in sugar to coat and place on baking sheet.

Allow cookies to cool and store in an airtight container.

Note: One of Mrs. Kravitz’s Littles was here the day I made a test batch of these cookies. He says the dough is just as good as the cookie. And, he had enough of both to be considered an expert.

Bee December 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Where is the recipe? It is not on this page.

PLEASE post it. It sounds wonderful.

Anna December 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Hi Bee, it’s on the link that says “Here”. Here’s the link.

Skippie22 December 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Oh my GOODNESS these were amazing!!! I would have ignored Santa too.
I really recommend finding the crystallized ginger, because it adds a wonderful texture and flavor variation.
Brava Naomi and THANK YOU Kristin! :-D
Merry Christmas~~

Anna December 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hooray! I need to make these again.