Fuzz’s Chili

by on December 31, 2008 · 15 comments

This is a good, sweet & spicy, non-greasy turkey chili.

Turkey Chili

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
3/4 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup (60 ml) red & green peppers, diced (optional)
1/2 cup (120 ml) chopped carrots
1 1/2 pounds (670 grams) lean ground turkey
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14-ounce can crushed Italian style tomatoes (undrained)
1 tablespoon (15 ml) chili powder (Gebhardt brand)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 (15 oz/420 gram) can low sodium chicken broth
3 oz (84 grams)tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/3 cup (80 ml) canned pumpkin (optional)
Salt & Black Pepper to taste (start with 1/8 teaspoon salt)
1 15 oz can black beans or kidney beans, well drained

Heat oil in large pot set over medium heat. Add onions, peppers (if using) and carrots and cook for about 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook turkey and onions together for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook, stirring often, until turkey is no longer pink.

Add tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Stir well, then pour in chicken broth and tomato paste and honey. Chili will look rather liquidy at this point, but that’s okay. It should thicken as it simmers.

Simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Mix in pumpkin (if using) and beans. Simmer for 5-10 mores minutes.

Published on December 31, 2008

Mattie December 31, 2008 at 9:08 am

Fuzz,
I must say that sounds like an awesome chili! Thanks for sharing it with us–I can’t wait to try it! Keep on cooking with your Mom–she’s a great one to learn from!! Happy New Year!

Cheri L December 31, 2008 at 9:35 am

Fuzz,
If you keep on cooking and baking like you have been, you will be a culinary genius just like your Mom! Your chili sounds so delicious…I will definitely be fixing it soon. Have fun! Happy New Year to you and your family and friends! :)

VeggieGirl December 31, 2008 at 9:44 am

She’s a great little chef!! :-D

Happy New Year, Anna!!

Katrina December 31, 2008 at 9:52 am

My kids like chili, too. Gotta have cheese and Fritos with it though. Love “sneaking” in the pumpkin.
Great job, Fuzz!
Happy New Year, Anna and family!

snookydoodle December 31, 2008 at 10:19 am

this great! well done I ll try it :) Happy new year :)

Carole R. December 31, 2008 at 10:22 am

Fuzz,

Maybe you could adapt this a little and enter the Willims Chili contest. You will have to enter in your mom’s name but I am sure she will give you the prize if you win.

runjess December 31, 2008 at 10:24 am

She’s going to be a great cook!

Allen December 31, 2008 at 10:53 am

Honey, huh? Is that to cut back on acidity? I actually use peanut butter for that.
But I am about to embark on a very lo-sodium chili. I had been making lo-cal, but because of the canned beans and sauce/tomatoes, the salt content was ridiculous.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Sue December 31, 2008 at 11:36 am

Chili is such a good cold weather food up here where it’s so cold and snowy. I love the idea of pumpkin and honey in chili! Good for Fuzz and her friend to get in the kitchen and mix it up a bit!

HeartofGlass December 31, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Sounds very creative and healthy–what ‘starch’ does Fuzz serve it with usually–corn bread, tortillas, potatoes, or spaghetti a la Cincinnati?

Anna December 31, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Fuzz eats whatever starch I give her. Lately it’s been baked corn tortilla chips.

Dawn January 1, 2009 at 7:26 am

This sounds delish – I’m going to have to try it! It’s funny that you mentioned tortilla soup – I just made tortilla soup for the first time the other day and it was so simple and delicious! It is from “Just Cook This! with Sam the Cooking Guy” on Discovery Health – http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sam-zien/recipes/tortilla.html

I have nothing to compare this to since I’ve only made it once – can you share your recipe with us!

Happy New Year!

Anna January 1, 2009 at 8:56 am

Dawn, thanks for the link! I’ve actually tried the trick of adding salsa to chicken broth to get tortilla soup. It works in a pinch.

Fuzz and I use two different recipes. The first one is a low fat soup recipe, loosely based on a recipe from Stop and Smell the Rosemary and the second one is adapted from Recipezaar. The second is a creamier version that’s more like the one they serve at Houston’s.

Both of these recipes are really easy and fun for kids, but make sure you taste as you go. This is just a template, but I think soup is a personal thing (like chili).

Quick Tortilla Soup

(About the honey, start with a teaspoon and add what you need. I like how the honey rounds out the flavors and adds a slight sweetness, but you can leave it out if that doesn’t appeal to you or you can use much less. Start with a teaspoon and taste)

1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder (such as Gebhart)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons honey (use more or less)
2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
1 1/2 cups cold, cubed fully cooked chicken breast

Place oil in a Dutch oven and turn heat to medium. Add onions and cumin and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, chili powder, cilantro and honey and bring to a simmer. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring often. Cover loosely and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add tortillas and chicken to soup and allow heat to return to simmer. Simmer uncover for an additional 10 minutes (soup will start to thicken).

Makes about 6 cups

Tortilla Soup (adapted from Recipezaar)

This one is adapted from Recipezaar. It’s richer, but not necessarily high in fat unless you use half & half in place of milk or add tons of shredded cheese. Make sure you taste this as you go so you can adjust.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup diced onions
2/3 cup carrots
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz) can diced Italian style tomatoes
1/2 a packet of taco seasoning mix (like Ortega or Old El Paso)
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (may use a little half & half)
6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
1 1/2 cups cold, cubed fully cooked chicken breast

Place oil in a Dutch oven and turn heat to medium. Add onions and carrots and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in cumin, garlic, tomatoes, and taco seasoning mix and bring to a simmer. Slowly add chicken broth. Add tortillas and cook (a good hot simmer — not quite a boil) for about 20 minutes. Add the milk. At this point, taste it and see if you like it. If you feel it’s too thin, add more tortillas. If it needs salt, add some. Simmer for about 10 more minutes, then add the chicken.

Serve soup in bowls and sprinkle shredded Colby Jack and fresh cilantro on top.

Makes about 6 cups

giz January 1, 2009 at 11:28 am

It’s just such a good day to enjoy everyone else’s cooking today. My stove has begged for a rest and I’m accomodating.

Dawn January 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Hi Anna – Thanks for the tortilla soup recipes – I can’t wait to try them! It’s cold up here in Michigan and warm soup sounds really good these days! Dawn