OCG’s Cranberry Crunch Cookies

by on December 5, 2008 · 25 comments

Yesterday I got a personal call from the local blood bank saying they needed some of my superfly Type O blood. They even told me who it was for – a cute little baby. How could I say no? So I spent this morning giving blood and am now wondering whether it’s safe to go to the gym.

But back to the blood. I was somewhat flattered to get a personal request for my blood and actually looked forward to getting out of the neighborhood (I rarely leave) and visiting the blood bank. I even had this great idea to take cookies to the blood bank and whipped up a quick batch before I left. Of course, when I got to the parking lot I realized I was an idiot and left them in the car. I brought them home and considered giving them to Charlie since he’s claiming to be sick and in need of cookies.

The cookies are Oatmeal Cookie Guy’s Cranberry Crunch Cookies and they are excellent. The people at the blood bank really missed out. Luckily, Fuzz and I have a gingerbread house building party to attend this afternoon so I can share them with my other lady friends….and I may save one for Charlie.

Oatmeal Cookie Guy, you are a genius. These are an incredible specimen of the oatmeal cookie variety….and what do you think of the idea of adding in some jalapeno? I think some jalapeno jelly would add a little kick. Need to buy some.

Update: Forgot to mention I made one change. I used unsalted butter, 1/2 scant teaspoon salt and used a cup of toasted chopped pecans in place of almonds.

cranberry cookie

Published on December 5, 2008

Sue December 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Wow! These must be really great! You don’t usually gush like that.
I’ll definitely put them on the list to try.

Anna December 5, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Oh c’mon. I gush all the time ;).

No, really. They are good! I think what’s special about them is the mixture of graham cracker crumbs and nuts.

tori December 5, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Have you made his golden girls cookie yet? The best thing ever!

Fat Fudge December 5, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Don’t go to the gym! I once gave blood and later went jogging–felt sick as a dog.

VeggieGirl December 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Kudos for giving blood to help (I can’t give blood).

Hooray for cookies!! I’m intrigued by the idea of adding jalapeño to the mix.

Anna December 5, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Tori, no. I will look for them.

FF, thanks for the advice. I am going to stay home.

VG, I’m definitely going to try adding jalapeno. I think adding it in the form of jalapeno jelly would be the best bet.

runjess December 5, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I saw those cookies on his blog and was tempted. They look sooo good.

heather December 5, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Why could you not bring the cookies in? I’m confused.

Anna December 5, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Heather, it just didn’t seem right. It’s a big clinic, I don’t know anybody, and they already have packaged cookies for donors. It’s probably not even legal to donate cookies to places like that.

Maureen December 5, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Oh my! I was going to take a stab at another batch of the almond butter vegan chocolate chip cookies this afternoon, but now…I may have to try these!
(I bought different almond butter, as I think that was my problem. I used the fresh ground almonds from Whole Foods in the first batch which was really gritty. This time I will use Barney Butter.)
For someone who is a terrible baker, I sure am baking a lot of cookies lately! :)

Katrina December 5, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I made these as well, as you know, and LOVED them. If you’re going to make an oatmeal cranberry cookie, try these! Go OCG! ;)

Really loved the crunch from the turbinado sugar they were rolled in, so don’t skip that.

Also a great recipe if you just have a little bit of a bag of fresh cranberries left, but they also have dried cranberries.

I’ll shush now, but these are a great cookie!

Yours look great, Anna. And way to go on giving your blood. I did once and nearly fainted, they had people fanning me, etc. I was so embarrassed. Haven’t gone since. (It was just plasma, not blood. I kept looking over at the machine pumping and just lost it.)

Now, I’ll really shush, gotta go pick up kids from school!

Have a great weekend!

Oatmeal Cookie Guy December 5, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Oh my! I’m really, really, *really* blushing. Thanks for the big old honkin’ shout out! :-)

Drífa December 5, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Hello!!

I just wanted to say what a great site this is!! Combined with great recipes and the cutest dog ever, i will definatley check for updates. :)

I am in fact from Iceland so it is very cold and chilly here at this time so i am going to do one of your cookie recipes tomorrow to cheer us up!! ;)

Have a good weekend!!

Anna December 5, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Drifa,

Thanks for the comment! I think you might be my first comment from Iceland. I hope you find some good cookie recipes to warm you up.

Incidentally, I took the cranberry cookies to a party this evening and everyone loved them.

kathy December 6, 2008 at 7:23 am

As the mom of a child who needed many blood transfusions it was always wonderful to find one donor whose blood works really well for your child. What a great gift for you to donate for this baby and I am sure the parents are incredibly thankful.

Sara December 6, 2008 at 10:29 am

Katrina, I had a similar experience a few years ago giving blood – I went running in the morning and didn’t have breakfast then gave blood as soon as I got to work. I got so faint and nauseated that I told them I was going to throw up, and they gave me a bucket, put all this water on my head, put a screen around me, I couldn’t talk, etc. It was SO embarrassing that I haven’t given blood since, but I actually made a appointment to give blood next week since it is such an easy, free way to help out (plus I get a tee-shirt :). I’m just going to wait until much later in the day to work out, and I’m going to have a good breakfast!

giz December 6, 2008 at 9:13 pm

You whipped up a batch of cookies to take to the blood bank??? You must be hyper organized. Making a batch of cookies is a project.

emma December 8, 2008 at 8:19 pm

mommy mommy mommy why must you put raisins in cookies

Anna December 8, 2008 at 8:24 pm

They are dried cranberries, Emma.

Carol A, December 10, 2008 at 11:08 am

Thanks for another winner, Anna! And I thanked OCG on his blog too, and now have a few more cookies from his site I want to try. As if I didn’t already have a list from yours still to make….

I also used toasted pecans, and will try them with almonds sometime. And I plumped the cranberries in boiling water first.

These are just great, excellent texture, and the orange flavor is really present. In fact, they could be called Cranberry Orange Crunch Cookies.

I put some dark chocolate chunks in a few, just to see how it tasted (how could I resist adding chocolate?). They are good, but the cookie flavor really deserves to stand alone and not have it become a chocolate chip cookie. Plus the texture is so nice and doesn’t benefit from the addition. But I’m sure many of you will understand why I had to try it. :-)

I took this and your Apple Squares to a holiday gathering last night and they were both big hits. I love the Apple Squares!

Sue December 14, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Hi Anna and Emma!

Emma’s comment above made me Laugh Out Loud!!!! My children would have expressed the exact same sentiment at Emma’s age. Even now, they prefer their cookies without raisins which is why I was so flabbergasted awhile back when I made one of your oatmeal raisin cookie recipes and my son who has always disliked raisins in his cookies raved about them!

Anyway…… I’m trying to decide if I should bake or work or this afternoon. With the snowstorm outside either would work. If I have all of the ingredients for this recipe I might make these.

Anna December 14, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Sue, she was really proud of herself for finding my blog on the Internet and making a comment.

Karen December 14, 2008 at 2:59 pm

These are really fantastic, and I don’t even like crandberries. I made them with Anna’s modifications – 1/2 tsp salt and 1 cup pecans. They were the first thing to disappear at a party last night. I don’t think the yield was listed anywhere, I got 25 cookies, mine took a little longer to bake, about 15-16 minutes.

Anna December 14, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Hi Karen,

OCG put the yield at the top left corner of the table. He said 3 dozen, but I didn’t get that many either.

Sue December 14, 2008 at 4:11 pm

I baked these and they turned out great. I also used the pecans. I rolled mine in white sugar instead of turbinado. They came out great. I think I got 34 cookies which is pretty close to three dozen. Mine have deep cracks in them though, similar to the way gingersnaps crack. I wonder if it’s my baking soda? I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mill aluminum free baking soda. Cookies seem to rise a lot more and I’m more likely to get the crackled look. The texture is good though!