The Chef; A Smarter Cookie

by on December 8, 2008 · 9 comments

Good Morning!

I think I’ll start the week by linking to a seven year old article with three good looking cookie recipes — Painted Cookies, Spice Drops and Chocolate Chip.

The chocolate chip cookie recipe is a little different.

The Chef; a Smarter Cookie

Published on December 8, 2008

VeggieGirl December 8, 2008 at 8:07 am

Great link!

Charlie Hills December 8, 2008 at 8:21 am

You know, I’m still not feeling well, Anna. I think I’ve caught one of those 107-hour bugs what can only be cured by a good, hot, chewy cookie. And milk. Milk in which to dunk said good, hot, chewy cookie.

Sue December 8, 2008 at 9:48 am

All three of those recipes sound good, and a little different. The first two strike me as being a bit expensive, but maybe they’re worth it? I would like to see photos of the painted cookies. Rose Levy Bernbaum uses tinted egg yolks for painting in her Christmas Cookie book but I’ve never tried it, and I’m not crazy about the look based on the photos in the book.

Katrina December 8, 2008 at 11:01 am

Are you going to try the ccc? If so, I’ll be waiting to see it and hear what ya think. Seems like a lot of sugar per/butter ratio.

Anna December 8, 2008 at 11:16 am

Katrina, I need to re-evaluate the cookies. I just made a batch (the chocolate chips) and am not in love, but I made a slight change. I’m going to try some more without changes.

Jen December 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Hi Anna -

Just a quick question: What are your thoughts about freezing cookies? I would love to get a jump-start on my holiday cookie-tray baking this weekend. I have never tried freezing cookies before. Have you had any luck with this?

I would be afraid it would alter the texture of some of the cookies…Do some freeze better than others? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated – I would hate to waste the time, cost of ingredients, etc. if they taste funny or if the texture is off. Thanks for any input!

Anna December 8, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Jen, that’s a good question. People freeze cookies all the time and nobody complains. I find there is a slight loss of flavor, but maybe it’s all in my head.

Brownies, however, freeze quite well. Just bake the brownies, let them cool, and wrap the whole un-cut slab in the freezer. Other bar cookies like cheesecake bars and Magic Cookie bars freeze well too.

For drop cookies, I like to make the dough ahead of time, wrap it tightly, then thaw and bake the cookies fresh the day of whatever event. I haven’t noticed flavor deterioration in cookies made from frozen dough.

Those are my thoughts on freezing cookies, but plenty of people will tell you they bake and freeze their cookies months ahead with no problem. I’ve met people like this and have eaten their cookies and sort of disagree — but maybe it was the baker’s fault and not so much the freezing.

Katrina December 8, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Jen, my aunt always brought us a BIG basket of baked goodies every Christmas. I totally thought she bought them and assembled baskets with tons of different kinds of store bought cookies. Come to find out she always baked them all (I never thought she was the baking type)! Her cookies were always SO good and she told us that she’d start baking and freezing at Thanksgiving to get it all done. Now, as a true “baker” myself, I would probably look back and notice some of the cookies had a bit of that freezer taste or weren’t as good as they could have been, but if you make yummy things, people don’t seem to notice or care (unless they are great baker’s–like Anna ;)
Anna is right though, certain things work better than others. From now until Christmas,you’ll probably be okay, but give stuff a few months in the freezer and then you can really start being able to tell. Whenever I do a big spread of things, a lot of them have been frozen for a week or so and people always think I baked like mad that day. I laugh.

Sue December 8, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I love this discussion. I often make dough and put it in the freezer for when I actually need it, because fresh baked is hard to beat. That said, I also have made cookies and frozen them and no one has ever complained. We have a regular freezer in our basement. By regular, I mean not frost free. I think frost free freezers, with their cycling to keep them frost free are much harder on food, but I don’t really have any science to support that. It’s just my own opinion. I do know that food in our regular freezer keeps longer than food in our refrigerator frost free freezer.