Break Out the Wattleseed

by on January 3, 2009 · 6 comments

A few weeks ago, a friend who used to work at Houston’s said one of the secret ingredients in their beloved veggie burger was chocolate. Surprise! I had no idea. This recipe is the closest I’ve ever come to cloning it, but I’ve never added chocolate. Maybe melted unsweetened chocolate would help the burgers stick together better? Next time I make veggie burgers I’m going to give it a try.

Thinking about the surprise ingredient in the veggie burger reminded me that the deadline is fast approaching for the Scharffen Berger Chocolate Adventure Contest. Remember, you can pair dark or milk chocolate (be sure to say what percentage) or cocoa powder with any of these adventure ingredients. The prize in each category (Savory, Sweet and Beverage) is $5,000.

Adventure List

Popping candy (unflavored or flavored),
wattleseed
palm sugar
basil
mustard seeds
coriander
black sesame seeds
black or pink peppercorns
chili pepper (fresh or whole dried)
coconut milk
kaffir lime leaf
matcha tea
mango
plantain
jicama
tapioca pearls (any size)
tamarind (or tamarind paste), cacao nibs

Published on January 3, 2009

VeggieGirl January 3, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Interesting!

Sue January 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Having made your Houston’s veggie burgers I can say they’re great so I’m really interested in any updates! I was thinking about them just last week. Didn’t someone say that there were cherries too?

Brenda January 3, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Houston’s veggie burger is the ONLY thing I EVER order when we go there! I’ve been a vegetarian for more than twenty years and this is the BEST veggie burger EVER!!! I agree whole-heartedly. Houston’s in Kansas City has closed several of their restaurants. Here in DC, they have a couple, but one of them changed their name (but they still have the same menu, which includes the veggie burger, thank Gawd)

Vic Cherikoff January 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm

It’s great to see a creation of mine making it into so many blog recipes around the world. Now I have to see if I can influence the use of it a little.

You see Wattleseed has a similar flavor profile to a mix of coffee, chocolate and hazelnuts and adding it to a cookie recipe needs to be considered. I tend to work to complement the flavor rather than enhance it and so if I use Wattleseed in chocolate cookies, I use white chocolate. This gives you the fatty mouth feel from the chocolate which helps the eating quality of the cookie and the Wattleseed flavor will not be masked by other roasted notes in a darker chocolate.

Anna January 4, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Hi Vic,

Thanks for stopping by my humble blog :). Now I really wish I had some wattleseed. I wasn’t able to get my hands on any in time for the contest, but it sounds like a really interesting ingredient and one that would be fun to play with. Thanks for expanding our horizons.

About the chocolate, in Scharffen Berger’s case, the wattleseed has to be used with milk or dark chocolate rather than (or maybe in combination with) white, but when I get some I’ll try it with white.

Jane January 6, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I had wattleseed icecream in Australia.