Fun Article

by on January 15, 2009 · 8 comments

UPDATE: You can still get the recipe but you have to register to view the archives.

Oatmeal cookies served on an airplane plus recipe.

I liked this story a lot, but can’t figure out who wrote it! Hopefully they’ll add a name at the bottom or top.

This was an Alaskan Airlines flight and the pilot made the cookies.

Dear Southwest,

I think it would be a great idea if your pilots baked cookies too.

Love,
Cookie Madness

Published on January 15, 2009

clumbsycookie January 15, 2009 at 8:18 am

How cool is that?! I also want cookies on my flights!
Katrina had warm cookies in her flight from NY I think, I’m sure she’ll pop out later and tell it.
I think it’s awesome!

Rachel B January 15, 2009 at 8:23 am

I think Midwest Express still bakes fresh chocolate chip cookies on their flights, actually! It smells terrific, and they even serve milk alongside if you want it.

Carol A, January 15, 2009 at 9:27 am

What a fun story, and a great recipe. I’m intrigued by the Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus mix.

I just flew from NY to SFO a couple of nights ago on United and they gave us each a big, warm chocolate chip cookie. It was really yummy! And I was only in Economy.

abbie January 15, 2009 at 9:43 am

That is a fun article. Talk about a great flying experience!

Katrina January 15, 2009 at 10:44 am

Sounds like they are all trying to compete with Midwest. Yep, Rita, Midwest gave out freshly baked choc chip cookies. They were kind of like your regular Toll House cookie, but SO good because they were fresh and “FREE”. I still think it’s pretty cool that it was the pilot who baked the oatmeal cookies from Alaska airlines. (As long as he wasn’t doing it in flight! :) Ha.

C L January 15, 2009 at 11:18 am

A delightful story! :)

On the sad side of cookiemaking, I learned from a local Pampered Chef lady that the Pampered Chef company no longer sells Cinnamon Plus! Booooo! :( It was one of my very favorite spice blends because it sort of “brightened up” recipes. If anyone knows how to create a substitute spice blend, I’d be so grateful to know! :)

C L January 15, 2009 at 11:28 am

Ooops! The Pampered Chef rep just called back. Cinnamon Plus is still available for purchase. I found it on their website but you might be able to order it from your local rep. Sorry about that! :(

Dawn January 15, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I’ve never had the PC “Cinnamon Plus” but a quick search on Recipezaar gave a recipe –
http://www.recipezaar.com/Baking-Spice-Copycat-Pered-Chef-Cinnamon-Plus-Mix-45672 … This sounds good to me, so a quick trip to the store for the only thing NOT in my pantry – dried orange peel – and I’ll be trying it tomorrow! Thanks for the heads-up, CL, on what sounds like a great thing to have around! Thanks, Anna, for always sharing interesting and fun articles with us – I have learned a lot from you!

Baking Spice – Copycat Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus Mix

6 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
Store in an air tight container.
Use this mix in recipes that call for the ingredients above.
I substitute this for all of my cinnamon needs.
If a recipe calls for the spices add up all of the measurments and just put in the same amount of this blend.
It tastes great used in cinnamon and sugar for toast and in cinnamon rolls.