Update: This may be my all-time favorite chocolate chip cookie. I make a ton of different cookies, but when it’s time for a bake sale or I have to give cookies as a gift, I go back to this one.
Adapted from an old Gourmet Magazine recipe ( chocolate chip cookie recipe by Carla Rollins), these are large, slightly flat, have chewy centers and crispy edges. Chilling the dough will give you a slightly thicker and in my opinion, better cookie, but you may also bake the cookies right away. Because I make these all the time for myself and friends, I’ve learned a few things over the way and have put a lot of notes in the recipe itself. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or problems. It’s always interesting to read the reviews on the original Gourmet recipes because some people think the cookies are awful and others say they are the best cookies ever. I’m in the latter group, obviously!
- 8 tablespoons (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted and completely cool
- 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 tablespoon of beaten egg**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6.8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup extra dark chocolate chips, use more or less as desired
- Beat together butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed for 2-3 minutes. The mixture will become pale and a bit lighter.
- Add egg to butter mixture, beating with mixer until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- By hand, stir in flour until just blended; stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a VERY generously heaping tablespoon measure, scoop up 14 mounds of dough and arrange on a foil lined plate. Chill until firm (recommended) or bake immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or for crisper edges and softer centers, 375F. Have ready two ungreased or foil lined cookie sheets. You can line them with parchment if you want, but they the cookies will spread less if you use regular foil or just leave the cookie sheets ungreased.
- Arrange dough mounds about 2 ½ inches apart on cookie sheets (7 to a sheet).
- Press down centers just slightly. Bake 1 sheet at a time on center rack for about 12-15 minutes or until edges are browned. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.