Michelle Obama’s Shortbread

by on January 10, 2009 · 9 comments

Doubletree has their chocolate chip cookies, but they’ll be getting some competition during the inaugrural when The Ritz Hotel starts serving Michelle Obama’s shortbread in every room. Boy, Michelle is going to be up to her ears in flour and butter. Okay, not really. The Ritz chefs are making it and they’ll be using a recipe from Family Circle, but maybe Michelle will drop by and supervise for a few minutes….you know, make sure they’re doing it right.

If you are a shortbread lover and you try the recipe, let us know how it is.

Incidentally, the Ritz in London serves shortbread evening night.

Published on January 10, 2009

Pearl January 10, 2009 at 9:39 am

I’ve always had this question on my mind, and whom to better ask than the cookie expert? :)

So my question is: is there a difference between a shortbread cookie and a shortbread biscuit?

Katrina January 10, 2009 at 11:31 am

At the cookie demo class I went to back in Dec., the lady gave us a recipe for and showed us AND we tasted an amazing shortbread cookie. It’s the real authentic kind. If you want that recipe (anyone), let me know. I’m sure they are all similar. I should go find it and compare to this Ritz one.

Sue January 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Good shortbread can be sooo goood!

Jan Harris January 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I’m hoping to hear some comments too. It’s unusual for true shortbread cookies to have an egg in the recipe. They sure do look good tho.

Tiamat January 11, 2009 at 6:51 am

The shortbread cookie recipe was actually the loser of the Family Circle contest …

Since the contest started in 1992, the winner of the contest had their spouse win th presidential election …

The contest had been considered a bell weather … But, something went wrong this time around with the election …

bakingblonde January 11, 2009 at 8:28 am

I have always wanted to make shortbread but just never have. I will have to check out that recipe!

Theresa January 11, 2009 at 10:29 am

Katrina, I’d love to have your recipe if you would share it!

Katrina January 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Theresa,
I’m going to type the recipe exactly as I received it, the demonstrator did not give a source. She said adding a zest is good, but not traditional and that these are supposed to be crisp. They were, but very buttery and light and really good! Kevin at Closet Cooking did a shortbread in Dec. that was similar to this one, but my recipe has a whole cup of flour more than his did, otherwise, they were the same ingredients and same amounts. Hmm. His look great! Just like the ones I tasted, but mine were cut from a round pan in traditional triangles. http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/12/shortbread.html
Scottish Shortbread Fans
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cool but room temp
4 oz. (1/2 cup plus 1 T.) sugar
12 oz. (3 cups) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream butter and sugar. Using your hands or the paddle attachment on your mixer, work in the flour and salt until the dough holds together then squeezed. Divid the dough between 2 ungreased 8-inch cake pans. Press into a firm, even layer. In each pan, use the tines of a fork to press 1/2-inch lines radiating like the rays of sun all around the edge of the dough. Score the dough into 12 or 16 wedges and prick each wedge with a fork, pricking all the way through the dough. (You want scored lines to make cutting easier–the lady demo-ing actually used a ruler and was very precise.)
Bake in a preheated 275 degree oven until set and beginning to turn a light golden color, about 50-60 minutes. Cool the cookies in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully take the “cake” out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges along the markings while still warm. Cool completely on racks. Store airtight.
Makes 24 to 32 shortbread fans.

Theresa January 12, 2009 at 11:51 am

Thanks Katrina…I’m going to be making these next weekend!