Oatmeal Streusel Cookies from Baking Bites

by on January 19, 2009 · 14 comments

Happy Martin Luther King Day! I hope everyone has taken some time to think about him. Fuzz and I have, and we’ve had some interesting discussions as well. We even thought about making a dinner in his honor, but can’t agree on what. So for now, here’s a cookie baked in his honor.

This recipe was created by Nicole at Baking Bites. Normally, I wait a while before trying cookies that others just wrote about, but this is one of those cases where I saw the recipe and couldn’t wait. What Nicole did, which I thought was very creative, was take a batch of pre-baked streusel, break it up, and mix it in with oatmeal cookie dough. At first she wasn’t sure if adding baked streusel into oatmeal cookie dough would have any real impact on the taste and texture, but it did. The cookies are excellent.

Recipe Here

Oatmeal Streusel Cookies

Published on January 19, 2009

VeggieGirl January 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Happy MLK Day!!

Excellent cookies, indeed!!

Louise January 19, 2009 at 1:53 pm

What is “pre-baked streusel”? That’s a new one to me.

Carrie January 19, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I read about these on the BB website and thought they looked good, too. I’m going to have to make them!

Jennifer January 19, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Yummy!!!! they look great!!

clumbsycookie January 19, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I don’t know if MLK would like them but I know I would! I’m glad you tried them, I also noticed them on BB and thought they were pretty interesting!

Louise January 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Never mind about the “pre-baked streusel”. I just read the BB blog.

Sue January 19, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Those are very attractive cookies! I think I’d like them!

Katrina January 19, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Yours and Nicole’s look GREAT! Can’t wait to try them sometime. I’m swimming in oatmeal cookies right now, between the Alaskan airline ones and some banana oatmeal cookies I just made (from Joe-Culinary in the Country) that are also GREAT! Slllooowww down, Katrina.
Okay, I’m fine. But the streusel is a neat idea I will definitely try sometime!

Carole R. January 19, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I made these today but tossed in some dried cherries for a little color. Excellent cookie.

C L January 19, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Those are droolworthy looking cookies! One of my nieces is teaching abroad and is feeling a bit wistful and homesick, according to her last letter…these look like a good “cure” to mail to her. ;) Of course, “quality assurance” will be in order before they are sent. LOL ;) Thank you for posting this cookie creation, Anna! :)

Nicole January 19, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Looks like the cookies turned out beautifully, Anna. I’m so glad to hear that you liked them!

snooky doodle January 20, 2009 at 3:17 am

these surely look good. :)

Monet January 20, 2009 at 9:55 am

I can vouch for both of you–they are excellent for sure! I baked a batch of these this weekend so that I could bring them back to my college dorm and share them with friends. You can make pretty much anyone happy with these cookies.

Karen January 20, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I just baked the streusel and was wondering if I did something wrong. I made my clumps cookie size and they are crisp around edges and bottom but tender in the middle. Should I have made them smaller? Should they crumble or break crisply?