Streusel Scones — Individually Portioned

by on January 27, 2009 · 7 comments

Today’s recipe is for my mom, who recently moved to town and has been enjoying more of my cookies. Since she lives alone, I’ve been giving her bags of frozen, pre-portioned rounds of dough and letting her bake the cookies herself. The other day she called to say how much she loves doing this. Along with the portion control aspect, it makes her condo smell like fresh cookies every night and gives her the satisfaction of having baked something. I was very happy to hear she was enjoying the cookie dough, so today I decided to makes some pre-portioned individually wrapped scone dough triangles.

To get started, I adapted a recipe from a cute little book called Simply Scones. But instead of following their directions, I made the scones in the food processor, portioned the dough into triangles, froze it and wrapped each triangle separately. To test, I baked up two scones. They weren’t overly sweet despite all the streusel and had kind of a cake-like not-too-heavy texture. Here’s the adapted recipe. I did not use coconut.

Streusel Scone

Streusel Scones

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Scone:
2 cups all purpose flour (9 oz)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
½ cup crushed, undrained pineapple (4 oz)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Make Streusel: Combine 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in bowl of food processor and pulse lightly to mix. Add cut up butter and pulse until mixture is coarse. Dump into a bowl and stir in pecans and coconut (if using).

Make Scone Dough: Add 2 cups flour to processor then add granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; pulse lightly to combine. Add the cut up butter and pulse until coarse.

In a mixing bowl, stir together pineapple, egg and vanilla. Dump the flour mixture into the pineapple mixture and stir to make a slightly sticky dough.

Have two sheets of parchment paper ready. On one sheet of parchment, form half the dough into a circle about 8 inches. Sprinkle with all but about 2/3 cup of the streusel. Form second half of dough into an 8 inch circle and place it on top of streusel covered circle. Pinch the edges to seal in the filling. Reserve remaining streusel.

Carefully score the round of scone dough into 6 parts, but do not separate. Transfer the round of dough to the freezer. I have a big chest freezer so I just set the whole cookie sheet with the scone dough on it in the freezer. Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes or until it is firm enough to handle. When dough is manageable, carefully separate the triangles and pinch sides of triangles (the part where you scored) to seal in the filling. Wrap the dough triangles individually and keep frozen until ready to bake.

Baking instructions: Thaw however many dough triangles you like overnight in the refrigerator before baking. Set the dough triangles on a lined cookie sheet and pinch sides to seal filling (do this only if they weren’t sealed in the first place). Sprinkle some streusel on the top of each scone and bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes.

Published on January 27, 2009

Katrina January 27, 2009 at 10:54 am

More streusel! Yum!
That’s such a nice thing for you to do for your mom!

Pearl January 27, 2009 at 11:03 am

how sweet for your mom!

what exactly is a scone though?/ i’ve never had one.. is it a mix between a cookie and a muffin?

Lisa Ernst January 27, 2009 at 11:34 am

What a wonderful gift for your mom, both the cookies and scones. What could be more comforting that the smell of fresh baked goods every day? I tend to make cookies for myself three or more times a week, mini batches that are just enough for me to enjoy. (My husband likes different cookie recipes, so I make those for him separately.) I hadn’t thought of making ahead and freezing, but that would be so convenient.

clumbsycookie January 27, 2009 at 1:28 pm

What a great idea Anna! Soon your mom will have a lot of neighbours friends from the smell of freshly baked cookies all the time!

Steph January 28, 2009 at 8:12 am

Those look amazing! I have saved a bunch of scone recipes but never made any, for some reason I think it would be difficult, hah.

Anna January 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

Steph, scones are pretty easy if you make them in the food processor. Give it a try. This recipe is actually a little more complicated because of the streusel, but there are a lot of simple scone recipes. This one is the “classic” recipe.

I actually like making scones as triangles.

Classic Cream Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 ½ tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add-ins – handful or dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, blueberries, etc.
1 egg, mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glaze (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or lightly grease.

Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl or combine in a food processor. Cut or pulse in the butter to make a coarse mixture.

Stir cream, egg, and vanilla together in a second bowl. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir to make dough. At this point, stir in add-ins if using.

With lightly floured or wet hands, pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured parchment covered surface. At this point you may cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter or score into triangles. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg mixture, if desired.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool.
Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Makes about 14 2 ½ inch round scones. If you make triangles, you’ll get fewer

NY Tracy January 28, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Yum! Scones are some of my favorite things to make. I’m with you — they are easiest in the food processor. These streusel ones look especially yummy!