Top Cookies From The L.A. Times

by on January 17, 2009 · 10 comments

My friend Janet sent me this link. LA Times always has good cookie recipes, so this will definitely come in handy.

LA Times Top Cookies

There are some interesting cookies on the list. Knowing me, I’ll head straight to the Chocolate Espresso Cookies, but for those of you with more sophisticated cravings, there are things like Hazelnut Meringues with Orange Sorbet and Rosemary Pinenut Cookies.

Published on January 17, 2009

BigSis January 17, 2009 at 9:03 am

Hi Anna,

Thanks for that link. Very interesting! There are several on that list that sound great that I would actually try (Chocolate Sables, Pistachio Butter Cookies, Peanut Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies). Others though must be for a more sophisticated palate than mine. If I were to serve Panforte with Candied Quince I can only imagine the looks I’d get! Ha! Maybe it’s more of an elegant New York cookie as opposed to a down-home Texas one!

~BigSis

janet January 17, 2009 at 9:45 am

Hello! I am preheating the oven now to bake the Buckwheat Sugar cookies (happen to have a box of the buckwheat flour in the freezer and it’s a goal to use up as much flour this year;-)
I’ll let you know if it’s a “keeper”.

bakingblonde January 17, 2009 at 10:22 am

Wow, great link Thanks!!

Louise January 17, 2009 at 11:24 am

Nice list of some different cookies. I wouldn’t take the “Panforte with Candied Quince” to the big game day crowd as it doesn’t go with buffalo wings :-D, but my Master Gardener friends will probably like it. I’m weird, but I have candied quince in the freezer that I made in Fall. And, I have all the rest of the ingredients from Christmas cookie baking. Sweet. So now I have another use for Candied Quince besides Quince Tarts. Thanks.

janet January 17, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Ok, I made the buckwheat cookies…they are shortbread style….very tasty…stayed about the same size as they went in as. Next will be the Apricot Butter ones but w/o the thyme.

Sue January 17, 2009 at 12:49 pm

That is an interesting list of cookies. I hope Janet reports on the Apricot Butter cookies too. I’m always interested in Apricot recipes because my Mother in Law loves anything Apricot.

Karen January 17, 2009 at 2:21 pm

There was a very delicious-looking chocolate cookie in the LAT this week, you probably saw it, but just in case:

janet January 18, 2009 at 9:42 am

The apricot butter cookies (without thyme)are okay. Maybe will improve with cooling and the apricot flavor will intensify. Think I’ll try a couple of Anna’s recipes next…since I know they’ll be keepers.

Estee January 18, 2009 at 11:19 am

I want to try the chocolate espresso cookies too as well as the coffee-walnut cookies. Thanks for the great list!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer January 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm

What a great list – I love LA times food section they always have such great yummies!!