Amaretto Brownies

by on February 8, 2009 · 17 comments

Today’s recipe is a brownie which I adapted from an old cookbook called One Pot Cookies by Andrew Schloss and Ken Bookman. What’s interesting about this recipe is that it calls for dark corn syrup. Like other brownies made with various syrups, these brownies have a firmness to them that I like. They’re nice and sturdy and perfect for wrapping individually.

Below is the full-batch 15×10 inch pan recipe but you can also cut the recipe in half and bake the brownies in a 9 inch square metal pan. In the original recipe, whole toasted almonds were chopped and stirred into the batter along with a little almond extract. I opted for a more subtle almond approach and scattered sliced almonds over the top then brushed (okay, doused) them with amaretto.

Amaretto Brownies

Amaretto Brownies

8 oz unsalted butter
6 ounces really good unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour (9 oz)
3/4 cups sliced almonds (more or less)
3-4 tablespoons Amaretto

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15×10 inch pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When butter is partially melted, stir in the chocolate. Cook the chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugars, corn syrup and vanilla. If mixture is still very hot (it shouldn’t be), let it cool for another 5 minutes, then stir in the eggs and salt. When salt is thoroughly mixed in, add the flour and stir just until it disappears.

Pour mixture into pan and scatter almonds over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and let cool to room temperature. Chill for about an hour. Brush Amaretto across top with a pastry brush. Lift brownies from pan and cut. Makes about 3 dozen.

Published on February 8, 2009

VeggieGirl February 8, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Oh my, heavenly!

Sara February 8, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I have half a bottle of amaretto that’s been sitting in the pantry for ages because I’m not sure what to make with it. I am definitely going to try these!

Katrina February 8, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Sounds so good with the almonds on top!

Louise February 8, 2009 at 3:47 pm

You are going to have to bake “healthy” the whole rest of the week to average out with these brownies. ;-)

Jennifer February 8, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Oh wow these look so great!!! :)

dawn February 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Oh that sounds good. I haven’t had amaretto in ages. And you know one-pot anything is good!

Carol A, February 8, 2009 at 4:34 pm

These look divine, and sound quite delicious and unusual. I’ll be admiring your photo only, though, as dark corn syrup and amaretto aren’t things I keep on hand or am likely to buy – so many wonderful ingredients out there, and I realize I just can’t try them all! It’s so great to see your pictures and read about them – vicarious pleasure! Thanks.

Right now I am in the midst of baking a Chai Chocolate Chip cookie “experimental” recipe. The dough is a hybrid of a few recipes, then I’m trying small batches with dough only, some with chocolate chips, and some with chocolate and cinnamon chips. Oh, and each of those has a version with and without being rolled in turbinado sugar. Do the rest of you do this when you create new recipes? I’m pretty new at it!

My husband and I will be doing a taste-test soon. I’ll tell you this, the raw dough is delicious…must stay away…

Megan February 8, 2009 at 5:46 pm

What do you consider to be a “good” brand of unsweetened chocolate?

DessertObsessed February 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm

love it! these remind of my favorite kahlua brownies!

giz February 8, 2009 at 9:56 pm

That’s a pretty decent yield on those brownies and they look rally fudgey.

Elyse February 8, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Mmm, I love the flavor of amaretto. I can’t wait to try these brownies! They look great!

Jenn's Baking Chamber February 9, 2009 at 8:19 am

There’s nothing like the combination of chocolate and alcohol to satisfy your sweet tooth. I think it would even taste great if you added some ameretto along with the vanilla into the batter itself for a more intense flavor. YUM!

Josh February 9, 2009 at 10:44 am

Mmm… these are good (one bite left).

Thanks!!!

T. Martin February 9, 2009 at 12:11 pm

These look like another possibility for VDay :-)…

Like Sara I have a bottle of amaretto kicking around at home and other than the much reviewed Amaretto Cake on AllRecipes I haven’t found many recipes that call for amaretto.

snooky doodle February 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm

these look delicious! nice variation to the normal brownies :)

C L February 9, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I love that cookbook! I kick myself because I had a copy and lost it when I relocated from one apartment to another in the 90’s. :( If you have a copy, hold on to it with both hands! ;) Back on topic, these brownies sound divine and yummy! On my list of “must make!” ;)

ST February 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I made these lat night. They were delicious (and you can make them in a 1/2 batch), but I was disappointed with how little amaretto flavor they had. Just a touch. Maybe next time, I’ll buy cheap amaretto and kinda soak em like you do with rum cake.