BHG Loaded Oatmeal Cookies

by on February 18, 2009 · 23 comments

I wasn’t sure how the brownies would turn out, so I decided to make a quick batch of the Loaded Oatmeal Cookies from BHG. I had some doubts. With all the wheat germ and flax, would they taste too healthy?  Would they be too oat-y? Because I had everything on hand, I baked them anyway (half batch) and they were excellent. I liked these better than the brownies. Plus, a little flax and wheat germ can’t hurt. This recipe won the “Smart Cookies” category and it is indeed a smart recipe.

Recipe Here

Loaded Oatmeal Cookie

Published on February 18, 2009

Louise February 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

So you made a balanced diet — a cookie in each hand :-) The cookies look good. Are they soft and chewy?

Anna February 18, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Well, they’re kind of fat….slightly crispy on the edges. I wouldn’t call them chewy, but they weren’t crisp and they weren’t cakey.

VeggieGirl February 18, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Loaded with pure goodness.

Jennifer February 18, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I love a cookie with LOTS of things in it! yummy!

HeartofGlass February 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Those sound like great breakfast cookies–slow burning, low GI oats and healthy fat with the flax.

However, I think your poor cookie has a shiner. It looks bloody but unbowed!

Anna February 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Yeah, I took that picture in a hurry. I’ll change it.

HeartofGlass February 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Oh, I didn’t mean the cookie looked bad! :(

I’m so sorry–I thought it looked cute, like it had a face!

I love your little Rorschach-tests with your marble cakes and cookies!

Katrina February 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Looks a lot like mine. I made these today, too. Used whole wheat pastry flour. These are GOOD cookies. And they’re loaded!

Carol A, February 18, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Oh, yum! Thanks for the review, now I have to try these for sure. They look great.

And HofG, I see the face too! I’m afraid he also has a tooth knocked askew. Too funny!

janet February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I have tried 6 times to log in and get this recipe and I can’t seem to get it? Anyone else have the same problem? Your cookie looks yummy!

Anna February 18, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Janet, I was having some trouble too. Try the link now. If you can’t get in, go to BHG and type loaded oatmeal cookies into the search box.

Elyse February 19, 2009 at 1:22 am

These look amazing. Any cookie with “loaded” in the title catches my eye (I’m a more is more kind of girl), and from the looks of it, these cookies do not disappoint! YUM!

Sheila | Live Well 360° February 19, 2009 at 8:54 am

Mmmmm….loaded plus oatmeal plus flax PLUS chocolate!?!? I love making cookies that I know are good for me. Thanks for sharing. Love the site.

Sheila

Kelly February 19, 2009 at 10:48 am

Those look fantastic. My boyfriend loves oatmeal cookies and we’re both trying to eat healthier so this looks like it could be a win. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

kelly February 19, 2009 at 11:40 am

Can you post the recipe for us?! Thanks!

Anna February 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hi Kelly,

I like to give the magazines some time to feature it on their website before I start posting. But if you don’t want to register, I’ll email it to you.

Judy February 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I got my current issue of BH&G yesterday and saw the recipe. I was going to try it but was wondering if it would taste too healthy, also. I’m glad you tried it. Now I can put the recipe in my queue. God knows when I’ll get to it though; it’s a very long line.

snooky doodle February 19, 2009 at 1:47 pm

these look so good! Nice recipe!

Carol A, February 20, 2009 at 3:56 pm

These are really delicious, and a great texture. I made a batch, with just a few modifications (oat bran instead of wheat germ, more spices, etc.) Just posted about it and linked to you. Thanks as always, Anna!

Susan March 11, 2009 at 9:01 am

I have made these 3 times in the past two weeks. They are so good they are eaten within a few days! The last time I made them I actually added 2 scoops of soy unflavored protein powder and then subtracted two scoops of the flour, they still came you yummy!

Dani April 22, 2009 at 10:22 am

Thank you for the recipe. I saw it in the magazine the other day. Then I tried to get it off the website. What a joke! Can’t do anything there unless you sign up for a subscription. Will try the cookies today. Thanks again.

Hilary Purcell March 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm

These cookies are delicious and healthy!! My son, 10 yrs., wanted me to make him a breakfast cookie. We are always rushing in the morning and we wanted a yummy, portable “breakfast” to eat in the car on the way to school. I made them today and used semi-sweet chocolate because that is what I had on hand. Mitchell said “These are awesome!” Yeah! My husband liked them, too, because they were not too sweet! This recipe is a keeper! Thanks, Anna!

Anna March 29, 2010 at 8:06 am

Hilary, I’ve made a lot of “wholesome” cookies since this one and this one is still at the top of my list.