BHG Loaded Oatmeal Cookies

I wasn’t sure how the brownies would turn out, so I decided to make a quick batch of the Loaded Oatmeal Cookies from BHG. I had some doubts. With all the wheat germ and flax, would they taste too healthy?  Would they be too oat-y? Because I had everything on hand, I baked them anyway (half batch) and they were excellent. I liked these better than the brownies. Plus, a little flax and wheat germ can’t hurt. This recipe won the “Smart Cookies” category and it is indeed a smart recipe.

Recipe Here

Loaded Oatmeal Cookie

Comments

1. Louise says

So you made a balanced diet — a cookie in each hand :-) The cookies look good. Are they soft and chewy?

Well, they’re kind of fat….slightly crispy on the edges. I wouldn’t call them chewy, but they weren’t crisp and they weren’t cakey.

Those sound like great breakfast cookies–slow burning, low GI oats and healthy fat with the flax.

However, I think your poor cookie has a shiner. It looks bloody but unbowed!

Oh, I didn’t mean the cookie looked bad! :(

I’m so sorry–I thought it looked cute, like it had a face!

I love your little Rorschach-tests with your marble cakes and cookies!

Oh, yum! Thanks for the review, now I have to try these for sure. They look great.

And HofG, I see the face too! I’m afraid he also has a tooth knocked askew. Too funny!

6. janet says

I have tried 6 times to log in and get this recipe and I can’t seem to get it? Anyone else have the same problem? Your cookie looks yummy!

Janet, I was having some trouble too. Try the link now. If you can’t get in, go to BHG and type loaded oatmeal cookies into the search box.

These look amazing. Any cookie with “loaded” in the title catches my eye (I’m a more is more kind of girl), and from the looks of it, these cookies do not disappoint! YUM!

Those look fantastic. My boyfriend loves oatmeal cookies and we’re both trying to eat healthier so this looks like it could be a win. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Hi Kelly,

I like to give the magazines some time to feature it on their website before I start posting. But if you don’t want to register, I’ll email it to you.

I got my current issue of BH&G yesterday and saw the recipe. I was going to try it but was wondering if it would taste too healthy, also. I’m glad you tried it. Now I can put the recipe in my queue. God knows when I’ll get to it though; it’s a very long line.

These are really delicious, and a great texture. I made a batch, with just a few modifications (oat bran instead of wheat germ, more spices, etc.) Just posted about it and linked to you. Thanks as always, Anna!

13. Susan says

I have made these 3 times in the past two weeks. They are so good they are eaten within a few days! The last time I made them I actually added 2 scoops of soy unflavored protein powder and then subtracted two scoops of the flour, they still came you yummy!

14. Dani says

Thank you for the recipe. I saw it in the magazine the other day. Then I tried to get it off the website. What a joke! Can’t do anything there unless you sign up for a subscription. Will try the cookies today. Thanks again.

15. Hilary Purcell says

These cookies are delicious and healthy!! My son, 10 yrs., wanted me to make him a breakfast cookie. We are always rushing in the morning and we wanted a yummy, portable “breakfast” to eat in the car on the way to school. I made them today and used semi-sweet chocolate because that is what I had on hand. Mitchell said “These are awesome!” Yeah! My husband liked them, too, because they were not too sweet! This recipe is a keeper! Thanks, Anna!

Hilary, I’ve made a lot of “wholesome” cookies since this one and this one is still at the top of my list.