Milk Chocolate Cookies With Malted Cream

I don’t make a lot of sandwich cookies, but my friend Janet sent over a link to a Food and Wine Magazine Cookie and noted it had malt in it. Yum. I figured I’d give it a try. The results seemed okay, but I can’t give the cookies a fair review at this point. This will sound strange, but assembling sandwich cookies yourself sort of takes the mystery out of eating them. This doesn’t apply to other types of cookies, but by the time I’m done assembling a batch of sandwich cookies I’m tired of being around them.

So the cookies were good, but I can’t give them a fair review until tomorrow.

One quick note about the filling — the recipe calls for chocolate malted milk powder, a product I’ve never purchased and probably never will. If you have it, great. If not, regular malted milk powder plus a couple of teaspoons of cocoa should do the trick.

These are marked as a staff favorite and AT Food and Wine.

Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookies

malted milk sandwich cookies

Comments

I just made malt cookies today, too. I DO like malt. Had some Snowball malted milk balls to use up before winter is over!
    I know what you mean about sandwich cookies.

I have malted chocolate milk powder! I love it! I know what you’re saying about sandwich cookies, I don’t do them a lot as well but I’m sure these are great.

I think it’s completely fair that you need your distance before you can fairly assess these cookies! However, judging for myself, by the pictures, they little bites are awesome!

Anna, I’ll be really interested in hearing what you think of these tomorrow. My husband is a huge fan of malted milk balls, and these look like they’d be right up his alley.
    Louise, are the MS cookies really malty tasting?

5. C L says

I miss chocolate Carnation Malted Milk powder! My gran use to make chocolate malted milk for me when I was little but I think the chocolate flavored product has been discontinued. Haven’t seen it in stores for years! :( I am sooo making these cookies with the some of the 4 jars of Horlicks I bought. :)

6. Louise says

Sue — Martha’s cookies were really malted tasting, but I pretty sure I added a little extra. I couldn’t stop myself. ;-)

7. Louise says

Anna, Sometime try Martha’s recipe. The cookie itself has plain malted milk powder. I didn’t have creme fraiche so I used sour cream. I didn’t make them as sandwiches as I knew I’d be shipping some, but I will try them as sandwiches. Her filling recipe doesn’t look overly sweet with cream cheese and butter. The recipe you did looks more like a frosting recipe.

I feel exactly the same way about sandwich cookies. They’re so labor intensive that as soon as I’m finished with them, I don’t want to be near them, nevermind eating them. I saw this recipe in my copy of F & W a few months ago and bookmarked it, but have never gotten around to making them. One of these days…

I made these a few days ago & we really liked them. I need a smaller cookie cutter though. These are pretty sweet so my cookies need to be a little smaller.
    I also think these would be great with a mint cream in the middle.