Pineapple Coconut Layer Cake with 7 Minute Frosting

Here’s a photo of the cake I made for today’s Teacher Appreciation. I assembled it last night, kept it in a cake holder overnight and served it today.

Coconut Cake

I think the cake went over well. As usual, I read all the Epicurious reviewer comments before making the cake. Some people used coconut milk instead of actual milk or added coconut extract (which tastes like sun tan lotion if you ask me), but I decided to do something crazy and follow the recipe as written. Well, I did throw about a half cup of coconut into the cake batter, but that was it.

The cake was moist and tender and had just enough coconut so that people who only sort of like coconut will probably enjoy the cake. My favorite part was the 7 Minute Icing which took 9 minutes.

More notes.

— Definitely use cake flour and weigh it or measure by gently spooning.  A couple of the people used all purpose and ended up with heavy cake.
— Add a dash of salt to the 7-Minute icing (okay, so that’s another change)

Hmmmmm. Can’t think of a third note.

RECIPE HERE

Oh, and here’s question. Has anyone ever heard of a cake carrier that turns into a stand? I’ve never seen one, but I think it would be great if there was a cake carrier with a snap-on airtight lid and some kind of collapsing “stem” on the bottom that you could pull out and turn the cake carrier into a stand. Because really, how does one transfer a cake from a carrier to a stand? Unless you serve the cake at home and assemble it on the stand, it seems like it would be difficult.

Comments

1. snookydoodle says

this cake looks awesome. I love coconut and this one is like a cosu cloud of delicious cake :) Funny the frosting you should rename it 9 min frosting :)

2. Louise says

I always use the cardboards like Wilton makes. Then I can transport the cake however I please and lift the cake out to a stand too. The cardboard serves another purpose while I’m frosting/decorating the cake. I put short strips of wax paper along the edge, between the cardboard and cake, frost the cake, and any slight excess comes off with the wax paper.

Louise, that’s a good idea! I should invest in some cardboard rounds. I still wish there was a carrier that converts to a stand, though.

I do the wax paper thing already and that helps keep icing off the plate, but I’m always scared to move the cake from the carrier to the stand.

Yeah, then I could take it to a big invention convention — the one where Jay Leno films people showing their inventions and the audience has to guess if the invention was bought or rejected. My cake carrier would be bought….no doubt!

5. CindyD says

I have one and I love it! It was a wedding present so it’s 27+ years old. It was made by St Tropez and can also be used as a punch bowl or salad bowl. Sadly, I dropped the cover several years ago but luckily all that broke was one of the tabs that lock the cover on the base.

I went back to the school later to do some work. Feedback was the cake was a hit! The only problem was there wasn’t enough of it.

I’m going to have to make this again for Todd.

7. NJ says

Anna…

Awesome cake!

I don’t know if you remember, but I had posted about baking a coconut cake for my boyf for Valentine’s Day and I wanted to tell you and the readers “thank you!”

I made the recipe you suggested, but with frosting from the Contessa’s recipe that another poster put in.

It. Was. Delicious.

I will email you a picture!

Thanks again Anna!

You should invent the cake carrier/stand! This cake sounds delicious; right up my alley! And it looks absolutely gorgeous. Yum.

9. Rina says

I’d buy your invention in a heartbeat! For the time being I stick with the cardboard rounds as well, but agree that it would be convenient to have a multi-purpose tool. It should turn too to facilitate icing…so maybe a lazy-susan rotating on top of the stand complete with a cover? Lol!

Cindy, I didn’t have time to do it yesterday but today I plan to hunt down that old cake carrier you told me about. I really would like that. I also like the silver colored ones.

Neely, thanks for the photo!

Elyse, I guess I could invent a more modern one. That would fun. I’d go on Home Shopping Network and promote it. LOL.

Cheryl, good luck with the cake! It’s really great when made by people who actually know how to bake a cake. Most of the reviews on Epicurious were positive.

Rina, somewhere in my pile of baking stuff I have a little rotating cake decorating stand. If I recall, the stem pops out (though I may be wrong about that). The cake stand I’m thinking of would be like a rotating stand, but with a longer pop-out stem and clasps to hold on an air-tight top.

11. Pam says

I like to use a footed cake stand but always had difficulty transporting the cake until I started using rolled up towels (usually beach towels) to support the stand and keep it from wobbling while I (slowly) drive to my destination. If you can put the cake into a box and brace underneath it with the towels, it usually doesn’t slide around. I’ve been pretty successful with this method.

12. Sarah says

I use the cardboard cake squares. Then I cover it with the foil like paper that’s located near the cake rounds and squares at Wal-mart and tape well to bottom of cardboard. Then I neatly place paper doilies around the edges before I put the first layer on, and then put strips of wax paper under edge of cake, then ice it. You can make your cake even prettier by putting a few marachino cherries on top, either half or whole. Dry juice off so they won’t bleed onto icing. Or you can put just one cherry on top.

13. Joyce says

I was looking for a cake my mother use to make all the time and my Dad loved it . My mother has been deceased for quiet sometime and I didn’t get the recipe from her. But the recipe and the picture sure looks like what she use to make and it was delicious can not wait to try it.