Chocolate Drizzled Butter Pecan Cookies

Well, I drove on the highway today and am still alive. Hooray! I do it every day, but in little stretches. Today I had to do a long stretch and was anxious about it for the past week, but now it’s done and I celebrated with a new cookie.

If this recipe looks familiar, it’s because it’s similar to the white chocolate pistachio corn flake cookies but without the white chocolate, pistachios and corn flakes.  Instead, I used Ritz Crackers, pecans and regular chocolate. These had a light and flaky texture that reminded me of Hobnobs(I love Hobnobs!)  but with oats and nuts instead of wheat.

One note. Make sure you either weigh your flour or spoon and sweep it. If you scoop it and accidentally use too much, the cookie dough will be too dry.  Also, if you hate coconut or don’t have any, you can leave it out.  I liked these better WITH the coconut.

pecan cookies

Chocolate Drizzled Butter Pecan Cookies

3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans (80 grams)
3/4 cups oats (75 grams)
20 Ritz crackers (56 grams)
3 tablespoons (packed) shredded sweetened coconut (forgot to weigh)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (220 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (7.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (110 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (95 grams)
2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (30 ml)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10 ml)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (115 mil)
1 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C)

2. Combine pecans, oats, crackers and coconut in food processor and process until pecans are ground and mixture looks coarse and mealy.

3. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside

4. Beat butter and both sugars using high speed of an electric mixer just until creamy; add egg and vanilla and beat for another 30 seconds, then beat in oil. Add flour mixture and stir by hand until it is almost mixed in; add pecan mixture and stir until fully blended.

5. Using a little over a level tablespoon measure, scoop up tablespoons of dough and roll into 1 inch (25 grams each) balls. Press the balls lightly to make ½ inch thick circles and place on parchment lined cookie sheets about 3 inches apart.

6. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack.

7. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl using 50% power and stirring every 30 seconds or melt in top of a double boiler. Pour chocolate into a freezer-type (heavy-duty) zipper bag, snip a tiny hole in corner of bag and drizzle melted chocolate over caramel.

MAKES 36 to 38

Comments

1. janet says

Heyee, these cookies look wonderful…thanks! I totally understand about the driving…I have issues with it too.

2. CindyD says

Glad you got back okay! It’s a butter pecan day – we just got back from BR dollar scoop night and guess what flavor my husband had!

Glad you’re back safely! Not only do these cookies look delicious, but the fact that you’ve compared them to Hobnobs has me totally sold!! Hobnobs are the best. I can’t wait to try these awesome-looking cookies!

4. Hélène says

If you like hobnobs you must try Eryn’s digestive biscuits, they are great! Her blog is a goldmine!
    You’ll find the recipe under “biscuits” and then “digestive biscuits Erynien”. I’m sure you’ll love both the recipe and the blog! Check it out!

5. Louise says

Instead of baking today, you should drive back to the other side of town again today. If you had to do it often, you’d probably get past your interstate driving phobia. ;-)

Thanks for all the comments!

Louise, you are right. The more you do it the easier it gets. I’ve been lucky in that I don’t have to. However, the more I don’t do it the more anxious I get when I do.

Helen, thanks for the tip. I found the post and these look terrific

The cookies above have pecans and Ritz crackers so they’re certainly not Hobnob copy cats. The texture and the chocolate just reminded me of Hobnobs. I’ll have to try Eryn’s. Also, maybe her blog will help me learn French! I’m going to be in Paris next weekend so I need all the help I can get.

7. Louise says

Anna, I love Paris and would be happy to carry your bags. I looked at Eryn’s Digestive Biscuits and they look great. Now I have to get out my French to English Dictionary to look at other things on Eryn’s blog. :-) Just when I’ve gotten to reading sixth grade level Spanish.

OMG, I just died when I saw butter pecan cookies. It’s one of my favorite ice creams so this is a MUST try for me. That said, I was thinking of toasting the walnuts in butter prior to adding them to my new Levain Copycat, but then that wouldn’t be an ‘authentic’ copycat..unless they do that? LOL

On another note, that was my ‘first’ really snipey comment, hence why it probably stuck. You’re right, some have no idea that even a small extra pinch of something can completely change a baked good!