Graham Cracker Surprise Pie

by on March 17, 2009 · 13 comments

I was organizing some old church cookbooks and this recipe fell out of one. It would be impossible for me to make this today, but I’ve typed up the recipe in case you want to try it first. Considering the source, it’s “bake at your own risk” but if I were anywhere near an oven, I would try it. It sounds a lot like Luby’s butternut pie which was delicious (thought my photo on that post doesn’t do it justice).

Old Recipe

Graham Cracker Surprise Pie

3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons of baking powder (seems like a lot)
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup of graham cracker crumbs
1 cup of nuts, chopped (author prefers pecans)
buttered pie dish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat the 3 egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in the baking powder. Gradully add the cup of sugar while beating, then beat in the vanilla. Fold in the graham crackers and nuts. Pour into a buttered pie plate and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Note:  I think this might be good baked in a regular crust, but I’m not sure what the bake time would be to get the crust to match the filling.  It might need to be par-baked.  In the past, I’ve made recipes like this without a crust.

Published on March 17, 2009

Sue March 17, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I think this sounds really interesting! Do you think you’re supposed to fold in the graham cracker crumbs with the pecans?

Katrina March 17, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Definitely a different one and sounds good. And for some reason whenever I see egg whites I think low fat! ;) Hope you’re having a GREAT time!

Dianna March 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I’ve been meaning to email you my family’s favorite french silk pie recipe for a few days after reading your posts. Guess what? This crust recipe is almost exactly the one that goes with my french silk pie. It’s a delicious combination. Very rich. And, it’s a very old recipe, which I guess goes with your discovery of this crust recipe as well. I’ll send it along tonight…if I remember! I love your blog!!!

Louise March 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Sue — it looks like Anna missed folding in the graham cracker crumbs before adding the nuts. Notice the old recipe is in the format where the ingredients are included right in with the instructions. Believe it or not, Gourmet magazine was published like that for many years.

Sue March 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Good eye Louise! It does say that in the photo up above!

Elyse March 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm

That does sound super interesting! I wish I were closer to an oven as well because that pie sounds like something I would just love to true. Instead, I’m stuck sitting in a hallway, and the floor is quite cold (no chairs around). Yes, trying this recipe right now sounds much better!

Rawley March 17, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I think I’ll try this one out tonight. I must add some chocolate to it, or else my family will assume it’s one of my “healthy” experiments and boycott…

Melody March 18, 2009 at 7:50 am

Church cookbooks are the best! Sounds interesting. Thanks for all the great recipes.

Barbara March 18, 2009 at 8:29 am

I’m not at home so can’t check my recipes but if this is the one I think it is, it tastes like dates. No one ever guesses that it is made with graham crackers. It comes out like kind of like a meringue. Women really like it. I don’t think you’d want to use a crust with it.

Louise March 18, 2009 at 11:49 am

I looked around the internet yesterday at similar recipes and saw one that added coconut and cinnamon.

snooky doodle March 18, 2009 at 3:33 pm

interesting! I have to try this one :)

Shelby March 18, 2009 at 7:56 pm

This is a family favorite, made often by my great-grandmother, then my grandmother, now my father and I. We call it graham cracker pie and always serve it with whipped cream.

Michele March 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm

When I married my hubby right out of college, this is one of the recipes passed on to me by my mother-in-law. It was really easy for me to make as a beginner cook.