Comments

It’s getting dark in the evening here. These brownies must be yum, & are quite similar to what I make. Only difference is that I use 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 a cup of cocoa & 2/3 cups of sugar. I also add walnuts, & sometimes give mine a mocha or cinnamon twist.Also just bake mine for 18 minutes…but they are so good!!

2. Jennifer says

Those sound really good! My problem is that I would eat the whole thing!

Maybe I could freeze individual pieces??

Okay, I just made these and they are great little brownies! They’re not super rich like some, but they’re not dry and crumbly either. Here’s how I made them. I guess I’ll post a photo as well.

JENNY’S BROWNIES

4 oz unsalted butter (114 grams)
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (20 grams)
    2 large eggs
    1 cup sugar (196 grams)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla (2.5 ml)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (1 ml)
    3/4 cup flour (95 grams)
    ½ cup chocolate chips or 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (84 grams)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line an 8 inch metal pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stirring to prevent burning. Reduce heat to low, add chips and stir to melt. Remove from heat.

Beat eggs in a medium size bowl until foamy. Beat in sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat in chocolate mixture. Add flour and stir just until mixed. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool and chill. Lift foil from pan and cut into 16 brownies.

4. shoyski says

Hmmmm, wish I would have seen your changes before making these this afternoon. They sure were easy to whip up, which was nice. I ran out of white sugar so used 1/2 white and 1/2 light brown. I don’t think that affected the end result all that much.

I felt like mine tasted a bit flat. I think adding some vanilla could have helped. I do like the consistency of them. Did you use sweetened or unsweetened cocoa? I wasn’t sure what to use so used unsweetened since there was a whole cup of sugar in the recipe.

Hi Shelly,

Did you use unsalted butter and keep the salt amount the same? I noticed the original recipe said butter and I think people in other countries might use salted by default — not sure, just a hunch. So I used unsalted and increased the salt. If you used unsalted butter and didn’t adjust the salt, the brownies would taste flat.

You were right about the unsweetened cocoa.

I think the addition of the vanilla helped, but the brownies shouldn’t have tasted flat without it. I’m thinking it was a salt issue.

6. shoyski says

You are a good detective! :-D That’s exactly what happened. So, I want to try this again with unsalted butter (since that’s what I have). How much extra salt do you supposed I should try?

Thanks,
    Shelley

The rule of thumb I follow is for every recipe that calls for “butter or margarine” use an extra 1/4 to 3/8 teaspoon of salt. If an ingredient list doesn’t call for any other salt, I go with 3/8 teaspoon. If the recipe calls for butter or margarine and has a little salt (such as this one), then I add an extra 1/4 teaspoon.

In this case the recipe just called for “butter” so I wasn’t entirely sure whether the used salted or unsalted. I had a hunch it was salted, but I was still fairly conservative and just used an extra 1/8 teaspoon to make a total of 1/4 teaspoon. However, the brownies would probably have been fine with up to 3/8 teaspoon total. Since you noticed the flatness of the salt-free brownies, you probably appreciate salt and should use a full 3/8.

I might make my next batch with 3/8 just for kicks. I don’t think they’d be too salty.

8. shoyski says

Thanks for the salt info. I’ll try these again after I go to the store for more butter. How could I be out?! DOH!

9. shoyski says

Anna, I put in 3/8 tsp of salt and they definitely didn’t taste as flat. Thanks for the heads up on adding salt.

Shelley