Shirley Corriher’s Boston Cream Pie from Bakewise

by on March 4, 2009 · 30 comments

If you haven’t bought Bakewise yet, you can find the recipe here. I scaled Shirley’s recipe down a bit and made a smaller version.   UPDATE:  Looks like the original version is no longer at the link.  I’ll try to see if it’s been posted on-line.  If not, buy the book!!!  It’s worth it.

Boston Cream Pie

Published on March 4, 2009

RecipeGirl March 4, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I’ve been resisting purchase of yet another baking book, but this one is calling to me! Looks excellent. And if YOU recommend it… by all means, it must be a keeper!! :)

Katrina March 4, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Ooh, that piece of cake “pie” looks really good–and you know me and cake! ;) Heading to Amazon right now, it’ll at least go on my wish list.
Great job on that one.

Carrie March 4, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I bought Bakewise on your rec and I am so thankful! It really is a GREAT cookbook. I made the golden cake recipe, too, though I used the other method (she has 3 methods for making golden cake- I did the light and fluffy one-amazing). I also made her deep, dark chocolate cake recipe- very tasty. She explains the various cocoas so well. Can’t wait to try more.

Carole Resnick March 4, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I love this book. In fact, I gave a copy of it away on my blog.

sharon March 4, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Boston Cream Pie is one of my favorite desserts…and that’s saying a lot! This looks absolutely delicious.

Megan March 4, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I just made Boston Cream Pie a few weeks ago – Gale Gand’s version is excellent too – just in case you wanted to compare.

Elyse March 5, 2009 at 12:18 am

Bakewise is my new favorite cookbook. I just love her golden cake–especially the “dissolving sugar” method. I can’t wait to make the pastry cream and ganache so I can have myself this delicious-looking Boston cream pie!!

Carrie March 5, 2009 at 1:31 am

This looks great! Could you make it with a white cream filling instead of the pastry cream? (Think of the vanilla cream filled donuts at Dunkin Donuts)>

clumbsycookie March 5, 2009 at 3:14 am

Gotta love Shirley!

Amy March 5, 2009 at 5:04 am

Anna, how much did you scale it and what size pan did you use? Thanks!

Jennifer March 5, 2009 at 5:08 am

That is perfect!!!!! yum!!!

Louise March 5, 2009 at 5:14 am

Anna, that cake looks yummy. Boston Cream is an old favorite of mine. Now I’ll have to try this recipe too. The pastry cream looks like it would be good for cream puffs too.

Carrie — call the white cream filled cake something besides Boston Cream Pie. Think of Dunkin Donuts Boston Cream donuts ;-)

Alexandra March 5, 2009 at 6:28 am

I’ve been meaning to get bakewise for awhile now. This gives me an even bigger reason to do so! The cake looks awesome Anna. :)

Niki March 5, 2009 at 7:43 am

I really want this cookbook now!!! Three different golden yellow recipes?? Dang!!!

Your cake looks so very moist and delicious! I LOVE Boston Cream pie, so I would love to have a nice slice of this heaven!

I think it’s been long enough since I’ve made pastry cream, it might be about time to do it again and make this for my birthday!

Anna March 5, 2009 at 8:03 am

Megan, I’m going to check your version. It will be fun to compare. This version uses a yellow cake which is a bit richer than the usual sponge.

Carrie, I don’t know how to make white filling. Is the recipe on your blog? As for this pastry cream, it was yellow and smooth. It didn’t taste like egg yolk despite all the yolks.

Elyse, the dissolving sugar cake is what she used in that link to Rocky Mountain news. I actually used her other version (2-stage) of the Magnificent Moist Golden Cake.

Valerie March 5, 2009 at 9:29 am

Yum! That looks delish! My boyfriend has been asking for a Boston Creme Pie, but that has been one of those things that always seems like it should taste better than it actually does. This one looks like it might actually live up to the hype. I’ll have to give it a try!

Sue March 5, 2009 at 10:06 am

I’ve always thought that I don’t like Boston Cream Pie. This makes me think I should reconsider that stand!
Yours looks delicious!

Kerstin March 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

Love your blog!

Ever since we moved to Boston, I’ve been meaning to get around to making a Boston Cream Pie, but never found a recipe that looked too exciting. This looks really good and I will definitely be trying it.

PhillyGirl March 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

Wow, that cake/”pie” looks so good.. I used to love making these years ago with DH yellow cake mix, vanilla pudding, and canned choc frosting. Did the trick! Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Karen March 5, 2009 at 11:56 am

Looks terrific! I LOVE Boston Cream Pie. Just to clarify what you did for the smaller cake: you used the measurements you listed in the comments above, baked in a 8 inch pan and split in half?

Can’t wait to see what you are going to do will your leftover egg whites…

Anna March 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Karen, yes. That’s correct.

I had to throw the egg whites out :(. I was going really fast and accidentally got some yolk in them.

Ashley March 5, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Mmmmm looks delicious! I don’t know if I’ve ever actually had boston cream pie but it has some of my favourite things, especially pastry cream.

Julie March 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm

The ganache looks like it set up so perfectly! I’ve never really made one that turned out flawlessly. I love Shirley.

memoria March 12, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I couldn’t find the recipe on that link you provided.

Anna March 12, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Hello Memoria,

The recipe is there. If you click on the link you should get an article about Shirley Corriher and her recipes for the cake, pie and glaze. Put those 3 together and you have Boston Cream Pie.

Suzy March 25, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I made Shirley Corriher’s Lemon Pound Cake from Bakewise – one of the most expensive things I’ve ever made I think, but it was very good. I read reviews on Amazon and some thought she had overly greasy recipes, so I couldn’t bring myself to add the 1/3 cup oil after the 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I also only used half of the whole bottle of lemon extract. It is plenty lemony, what with the glaze and all, and a very fine crumb. But with 5 eggs, 2 yolks, and 1/2 cup whipping cream, I figured it was more than enough fat. I froze half the cake to eat later, when we have guests, and that will help justify the expense!

Grace April 6, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Hi! I just wanted to confirm; the 2-Stage method doesn’t take any leavener? Thanks!

NWACHUKWU November 17, 2009 at 5:13 am

I’ve been meaning to get around to making a Boston Cream Pie, but never found a recipe that looked too exciting. made Shirley Corriher’s Lemon Pound Cake from Bakewise – one of the most expensive things I’ve ever made I think, but it was very good. I read reviews on Amazon and some thought she had overly greasy recipes, so I couldn’t bring myself to add the 1/3 cup oil after the 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I also only used half of the whole bottle of lemon extract. It is plenty lemony, what with the glaze and all, and a very fine crumb. But with 5 eggs, 2 yolks, and 1/2 cup whipping cream, I figured it was more than enough fat. I froze half the cake to eat later, when we have guests, and that will help justify the expense!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets February 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hi Anna! I’d really like to try this sometime, but the link to the recipe no longer works. Do you happen to have saved it and could email it to me to try? I do hope to get that book eventually as well, but I want to try some recipes first.

Anna February 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I think what I’ll do is just type it up and send it to whoever wants it.