Update on Jenny’s Brownies

by on March 12, 2009 · 11 comments

Definitely good! They weren’t exceptionally rich like some brownies, but they were perfect for a busy Thursday. I was in the mood for a crusty top, so I beat the egg/sugar mixture for a full minute.

Jenny’s Brownies

Jenny\'s Brownies

Published on March 12, 2009

snooky doodle March 12, 2009 at 3:58 pm

these look furgey and chocolatey. How I wish I could grab one :)

Judy March 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm

mmm, these look really good. I’ll have to remember to beat the sugar and eggs for the full minute. Thanks

clumbsycookie March 12, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Somebody has been reading Bakewise ;)!

Jane March 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm

These are similar to the Hershey’s brownie recipe (my standby), but with a little less cocoa and 1/4 cup more flour. I will have to try these, they look wonderful.

Cortney March 12, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Do you know of an appropriate way to replace eggs in brownies?
My son is allergic to eggs and we use and egg replacer in most of our baking, but it doesn’t work in brownies.
Thanks for any help. I really want to try these brownies, but worry about the egg.

deeba March 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm

YUM YUM!!! What a way to wake up…I feel like grabbin’ one!

Anna March 12, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Cortney,

A good way to find egg-free recipes is just to look for things that are vegan. I do have a really good vegan brownie recipe and it’s super simple.

Here’s the recipe

Vegan Brownies

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup vegan approved chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square pan with non-stick foil (Release) or parchment paper

Measure out 1/2 cup of the flour and place it in a saucepan with the water (1 cup). Whisk flour and water together over medium heat until mixture becomes thick and gluey. Set it aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together both sugars, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add oil and vanilla and stir until well mixed. Add gluey flour mixture and stir until incorporated, then stir in remaining 1 ½ cups of flour. If using, add nuts and chocolate chips.

Spread mixture in the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Score into however many brownies. 16 worked for me.

Elyse March 12, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Mmm, these definitely look like great brownies. I love a nice crusty top on the brownie! Sometimes you don’t want super fudgey brownies, and I think that these brownies would be perfect for that occasion!

Cortney March 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Thank you Anna!

Kerstin March 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm

This is a great recipe to keep handy, because I always have all these ingredients around! Thanks for sharing.

Dani March 13, 2009 at 5:13 am