You can never have too many Key lime pie recipes, so here’s the one I made yesterday. It’s a Key lime pie without eggs.
This was inspired by a “best of show” winner at a Florida state fair and it’s interesting because it gets its smooth & thick texture from cream cheese and butter rather than the usual egg yolks. As I’ve mentioned, I like key lime pie that’s very tart, so I used a lot of lime zest. You can adjust the amount of zest to taste. I also used real key lime juice today because key limes happen to be 99 cents a bag, but feel free to use bottled key lime instead. If you can’t find key limes or key lime juice, you can use the juice of regular Persian limes.
- 18 (145 grams) graham cracker squares
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) salt
- 2-3 tablespoon shredded, sweetened coconut
- 6 tablespoons (90 grams) melted unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons ( 60 grams) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces (180 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz/420 grams) can condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20 ml) grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup (240 ml) key lime juice (fresh or bottled) plus an extra 1-2 T if desired
- 1 cup heavy cream plus 1 tablespoon sugar & 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie dish.
- Combine graham crackers, pecans, sugar, salt and coconut in food processor; process into crumbs. Pour in the butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press into pie plate covering bottom and sides and bake for 12 minutes. Cool.
- Prepare filling. Clean out food processor bowl. Combine cream cheese and butter and process until smooth. Scrape side of bowl and add condensed milk, lime zest and bottled lime juice; process until smooth. Taste and make sure it’s sour enough, then add more juice/zest if desired. Pour into the cooled pie shell. Chill for at least 5 hours.
- A few hours from serving time, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, then beat in sugar and vanilla. Put cream in a zipper bag, snip off the corner and pipe cream around edges of pie.
- ** You could skip making the crust and use a store bought graham cracker or vanilla crust if you are in hurry. If you do this, you can make the whole pie using a mixing bowl and a hand-held mixer.