Butterscotch Corn Flake Marshmallow Cookies

Before making OCG’s version of the famous compost cookie, I asked a few of my NYC based friends what they thought of the cookies…because naturally, they’ve been to Milk Bar multiple times. Reviews were mixed, but almost every person mentioned just how much she/he loved the composts cookie’s brother, the marshmallow corn flake chocolate chip cookie. This was good news, because I’m always up for a corn flake cookie and now I had an excuse to add marshmallows.

This is a recipe I played around with today, but instead of using chocolate chips, I used butterscotch. Results were great, and I think they’d be even better with a little (here we go again) coconut or maybe some more of those broken pretzels. But the best part was the marshmallows. They made a crispy edged cookie rather chewy. These had a salty flavor to which I guess is due in part to the corn flakes.

Butterscotch Marshmallow Cornflake Cookies

Butterscotch Marshmallow Cornflake Cookies

Cornflake Butterscotch Marshmallow Cookies

Use your food processor to grind the cereal and oats

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (220 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (7 ml)
1/2 tsp salt (2 ml)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) (114 grams)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar – (110 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
1 1/2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (22 grams)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract (7 ml)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (120 ml)
3/4 cups ground up corn flakes (measure after grinding) 60 grams)
3/4 cups coarsely ground oatmeal (60 grams)
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
3/4 cup butterscotch chips (336 grams)
1/2 cup marshmallows, frozen if you have time to freeze them

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
Cream butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in oil.

Add flour mixture and stir until it is almost fully incorporated, then stir in the ground corn flakes, oatmeal, pecans and butterscotch chips. Continue stirring until flour disappears.

Scoop up gobs of dough and wrap each gob around 4 (or so) frozen mini marshmallows. Try to seal the marshmallows in dough. You should have balls that are larger than golf balls (about 2 inches diameter).

Space balls about 3 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.

Not sure what the yield is because I haven’t baked alll the dough.

Comments

That sounds more what I’d like than the compost cookie. I’d still probably add chocolate, too! I think I’m having cookie withdrawls. Thanks for coming through for me and posting TWO cookies to at least look at! ;)

Wow, these cookies look totally amazing. I just love the melty marshmallows you can see in the cookie. Delicious!

I am in NJ, so haven’t made it there but I hear the crack pie is the best!

Love the copycats (with your own spin)–I think this one should be called ‘Saturday Morning Cartoon’ cookies, from all the memories of eating marshmallow-filled bowls of cereal watching the Smurfs!

4. alyssa says

Hi Anna,

Mmm… love the looks of these cookies! Sound like these have a great combination of textures… gonna have to try these ones out.

Oh, btw, just a quick heads up… not sure if you’ve been fiddling with your rss feeds, but my blog reader (I use bloglines) no longer seem to be picking up your most recent posts (the updates stopped after the coconut cheesecake… hmmm… maybe the cheesecake was too rich for the reader! lol!). I absolutely love your blog, and need my daily “fix” : )

Alyssa, thanks for the heads up. I really don’t know how to use feeds or things like that, but Todd gets feed and says he’s still getting it. I’ll look into it. I did move the button up. I’m sure there’s more I could be doing in this area.

6. C L says

Anna, what have you done?! I banged my nose on my computer screen trying to get closer to these cookies! LOL ;) They look absolutely wonderful and since there just happen to be marshmallows and butterscotch chips in my freezer, and some cornflakes in the pantry begging to be finished off, it looks like this afternoon will be cookie time! :) Thank you for this recipe, Anna!

Shannon, thanks for noticing the metric system. Hopefully a few people out there will find it useful. On one hand, it makes baking so much more precise. On the other, it’s just another opportunity for me to make typos so I have to be extra careful.

CL, if you make them today let us know!

Hi Anna,

I think we both have marshmallow on the brain! (I made fluffernutter cookies on Sunday.) I agree with your other Milk Bar tasters. The cornflake and marshmallow cookies were better than the compost cookie. They reminded me very much of Rice Krispees treats. :-)

anna thanks for your comments to my question, I stayed up all night worrying about it, but chances are there are so many people that did what I did. I just want to get noticed is all.
    These cookies look good, I love when butterscotch is used. I made a banana bread with a small amount of butterscotch chips and the flavor was intensified (sp?) with the banana.

10. Louise says

Oh, boy. We have a rotten rainy day, and I have all the ingredients for these in my pantry. :-) Things are looking up.

Okay, I’m playing around with another one. I’m going to try one without oats and I also might try making a version with milk-soaked corn flakes. They soak their corn flakes in milk to get the corn flake flavored milk, so they probably use the old wet corn flakes in the cookies.

12. Janet says

Looks soooo good…do you think I could sub in Wheaties for the corn flakes? I have a box that I have never used. Thanks!

13. Meghan says

I’m an avid reader but I’ve never commented. Today, I have two things to say, though! The first one is to say that those cookies look scrumptious! The second is to ask if you’ve ever attempted to make animal crackers (cookies – but the un-iced version) from scratch? There are so many contradicting reviews for what seem to be similar recipes!

14. Pam Shank says

Anna these are so great to look at,and would be even better to eat. You always amaze me at what you can come up with! Wonderful job.

15. Raz says

Wow!!! I’ve been looking for some marshmellow cookies for the last few days, these look amazing!
    but what do you think about using chocolate chips instead of butterscoth chips? (living outside the US, it’s nearly impossible to find it here…)

and thanks so much for the metric! saved me the trouble of converting. :)

Hi Meghan,

No, I’ve never tried making animal crackers. Don’t have the little cutters.

Raz, I’m glad the metric is useful :). BTW, this cookie was inspired by a chocolate chip cookie with marshmallows, so you could definitely use chocolate chips.

17. Jessica "Su Good Sweets" says

Awesome, I always thought marshmallows would melt into puddles if you baked with them. A NY Mag article mentioned that Christina Tosi adds powdered milk to her cookies for more of a “buttery” taste. I had a bag of stale marshmallows that would be perfect for these, but I think I threw them out when I moved. :-(

18. Angela says

Mmm! I used this cookie to clean out my boyfriend’s pantry, since he’s had oatmeal & stale cereal sitting in there for ages, and I had marshmallows!

I Strawberry Honey Bunches of Oats along with Srawberries and Cream instant oatmeal (I know, I know, but the cookies turned out great, so at least instant didn’t have too much of a negative effect…). I omitted the pecans and butterscotch chips because I didn’t have any, though I think white chocolate would’ve gone well with my cookie…

Anyway, the strawberry version turned out great! Now I want to use up some old Frosted Flakes, maybe with cinnamon toast oatmeal?…

19. sharon says

I had these cookies at a party last weekend, and i tracked down a girl i didnt know to get this recipe after searching the party for her all night to tell her how much i loved them. this was the BEST cookie i have ever had. she substituted chocolate chips instead of the pecans, so they were slightly different, but … absolutely amazing.

20. tirz says

I just took these out of the oven…and they’re already a hit…disappearing right now!!! I love the salty flavour from the cornflakes, such a great contrast to the sweetness of the butterscotch and marshmallows. Mmmmhhh! Thank you for this recipe!

21. Angela says

These are THE BOMB! BEST cornflake cookie I’ve ever tried – 100 times better than the Momofuku knockoff recipe. I’ve made these a few times now, just subbed chocolate chips for the butterscotch ones, otherwise everything pretty much the same. People just go CRAZY for them. Taste, texture, appearance. This recipe can’t be beat. Thank you SO MUCH!