Chicago Tribune Tests Popular Brownie Recipes

by on April 7, 2009 · 7 comments

Chicago Tribune tested several popular brownie recipes and guess which one they chose? A recipe from a Betty Crocker book.

Here’s the original recipe(¬†Betty Crocker’s Ultimate Brownie) with reviews from home cooks.

Published on April 7, 2009

Louise April 7, 2009 at 8:47 am

Oh, they just tested some brownies from new cookbooks. The mint ones caught my eye as I’d like to make David Lebovitz’s Altoid Brownies. While on the brownie topic, Wilton now makes a mold to make a batch of individual brownies. I can’t remember for sure, but maybe 20 in the mold. And brownie cutters to make dual asymmetric heart shapes and triple elongated rectangles. They were being sold beside the brownie mixes in the grocery store. ;-p

Dianna April 7, 2009 at 8:59 am

They should have tested King Arthur Flour’s Fudgy Brownies. Mmmmm….is it wrong to make brownies for breakfast? :-)

Louise April 7, 2009 at 9:03 am

Dianna, yesterday I had a brownie right after breakfast with my coffee. When I was a kid, if my mom had made a cake the day before, we always had it for breakfast. It’s really not any different than having pastry or Dunkin Donuts. :-)

Anna April 7, 2009 at 9:16 am

Dianna, I agree! That’s such a great recipe. Maybe we should write a letter to the Tribune?

Louise, I agree with you too.

Speaking of donuts, don’t forget to make your $12,000 donut!

Sue April 7, 2009 at 10:31 am

Yes! I agree with Dianna and Anna. The King Arthur Browine recipe is really great. I love articles like the one in the Trib so thanks for the link.

Lara April 7, 2009 at 12:42 pm

How funny! You know what recipe I love from that cookbook? The snickerdoodle one. I haven’t made them in years, but man, are they delicious!

Elyse April 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Seriously, every time you post a brownie recipe, Anna, I feel the need to try it :) I love brownies! My quest to find the perfect one will never stop!!