New Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Today’s  cookie  recipe came from a rather unexpected source — the back of the “I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter Baking Sticks” box. I bought the baking sticks last week and was looking forward to putting them to the test. Would they really work well in baking? Would I not believe they were butter? I use enough to know.

As for why I chose the recipe on the back of the box, well #1. It’s for chocolate chip cookies, and #2. The recipe has interesting proportions – one fewer egg, less sugar and slightly less flour than the Toll House recipe. And since the new butter sticks have much less saturated fat than regular butter, I didn’t mind that the recipe called for a full 2 sticks of it. Plus the box says “rich in Omega ALA” so why cut back?

I needed to make these in a hurry and since the butter sticks were soft straight out of the refrigerator, I didn’t have to wait for them to come to room temperature to cream them with the sugar. The cookies were ready in a flash, but I was skeptical. I’m not a fan of cakey cookies and they looked a bit cakey…but they weren’t! The edges were crispy and the middles were soft, dense and flavorful. Honestly, I didn’t think the flavor was exactly like butter, but I liked it and it was noticeable. I’m thinking if I give people  these cookies they’ll say something like “Mmmm. I can really taste the butter.” And then I’ll wink and say “It’s not butter.” Just kidding (I never wink), but I would tell people that the cookies had less saturated fat because they’re usually happy to hear that.

Here’s the recipe which I’ve copied and pasted from the I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter website. I’m anxious to hear what other avid bakers have to say about this one. So far, this is the only recipe I’ve tested it with but they have a huge database of tested recipes. There’s a contest too for those of you interested in winning a trip to Atlanta to meet the Deen brothers.

Unbelievably Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Jamie and Bobby Deen

2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Cooking & Baking sticks (230 grams)
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 package (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Combine flour with baking soda in small bowl; set aside.

Beat I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Cooking & Baking sticks with sugars in large bowl with electric mixer until blended, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla, egg and salt. Beat in flour mixture on low speed just until blended. Stir in chips.

Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen

UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS VARIATIONS: Substitute white chocolate chips, candy pieces or toffee bits for semi-sweet chocolate chips.
For UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, substitute 1 cup oats for 1 cup flour. Try adding 1/2 cup chopped nuts or dried cranberries or raisins.

i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-cookies-006

Comments

1. CindyD says

Thanks for trying these! I’ve been wondering how the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter baking sticks compared with the Smart Balance Baking Sticks. I’m going to try the oatmeal version soon.

So glad you tried these and reported on them. Interesting that this is a recipe from the Deen brothers, ’cause their Mama sure isn’t afraid of a little butter and saturated fat! :-)

3. Louise says

I had the same thoughts as Sue when I saw “Deen Brothers”. Their momma must be saying “Where did I go wrong?” ;-) $$$ I’m always skeptical about all this stuff as I grew up when everybody thought margarine was better for you than butter. (My family still believed in butter.) They weren’t telling us about trans fats.

4. Louise says

When I was a kid, we always made the Toll House recipe with shortening, so I should probably give these a try.

i’m so excited to see this post! i just saw a commercial for this new product and was very curious about it! (I use QUITE a bit of butter so I thought maybe a recipe every now and then with slightly-more-healthy butter wouldn’t kill me!) i like hearing that they are soft right out of the frig, thats terrific for those super impatient baking moments. Thanks for the report!

it was noticeable? hmmm, don’t know if I wanna go there. I love the taste of butter with the brown sugar: a flavor that hard to recreate.

7. beth says

Thanks once again Anna! I’ve been seeing a lot of magazine ads for the I Can’t Believe sticks. The photo always makes me crave fresh chocolate chips. Knowing that you liked the results is even more of an incentive to try it out.
    Beth

8. leslie says

I was wondering how these “butter” sticks would stack up! Thanks for testing them for us

9. Katy says

Evidently the lower saturated fat isn’t helping the Deen boys slim down. Paula would deep fry the dough.

Glad to see your results. I bought this butter last week but have been too busy to try it. I think I am inspired to now…Thanks!

wow! i never would have thought the flavour would be that similar.

wish i could find those sticks here in labrador bc god knows i go through a lot of baking butter…

I’ve tasted it once (on toast) and let me tell you I could believe it was not butter! I’ve never baked it it, but I’m guessing it will behave similar to regular margarine. I just think the name is funny and great marketing!

Mmm, the cookies look delicious. I’ve never worked with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, but I’m really interested to check it out now!

14. Jaime says

I tried this recipe the other day, and made a pan of cookies, rather than individual cookies and it still turnout out great, just kept them in a 9 x 13 glass dish for 25 minutes…delicious!