Oatmeal Cookie Guy’s Compost Cookie Spin-Off

Milk Bar is a bakery in New York City. It’s been open for less than a year and grown wildly popular for many reasons, one being a cookie with a catchy name – the compost cookie. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a brilliant cookie made with potato chips, pretzels, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips and (Yum!) old used coffee grounds. It was created by one of the head pastry chefs, Christina Tosi who has some impressive credentials, loves sweets and wishes she could give everyone a puppy with a bow on it. Naturally, I would love to try her cookie but since I’m 2,000 miles away a copy cat will have to do.

This copy cat, which is more of a spin-off than a copy cat, was created by Greg, aka Oatmeal Cookie Guy. Given that he likes to be creative and wanted to make some personal modifications, Greg added oats and swapped out some of the graham cracker crumbs for Fritos. I couldn’t wait to try Greg’s version, but buying the ingredients all at once was kind of embarrassing, and of course the day I decided to go buy Fritos, Potato chips, pretzels, butter, butterscotch chips and chocolate chips (and some cookie dough ice cream) was the day my most health conscious friend showed up behind me in line. But the cookies were worth all the ‘splainin’ I had to do. I agree with Greg’s assessment that they are a good balance of sweet and salty…but with oats. Now I want to try them without oats.

Oh, about the coffee grinds. Putting them in for the first time was scary but they actually taste really good.

Recipe Here  (Note:  Greg and I both used salted butter)

P.S. Mine are a little thicker than OCG’s because I was heavy handed with the flour.

compostcookiespinoff

Comments

now those look nice & thick & tasty!

I entered the Pillsbury Bake Off contest (2 recipes). When I was filling out the form for the ingredients I didn’t type out the brand name of the butter or flour that represents the sponsors that are sponsoring it. Do you think they will still take my submission? I hope so. Before typing out the recipe I did use the checkoff list on what brands I used though.

2. Janet says

Very interesting cookie….any tips on using the used coffee grounds, like at what point after my morning coffee do I pull the grounds to use? They look very good and I so wish I had all those wonderful snack foods around to make this cookie RIGHT now!! lol Thanks!

3. Kelly says

I saw this and just couldn’t wait to try. I omitted the oatmeal, increased flour to 1 1/2 C and added 1/2 C crushed animal crackers, as that is what I had on hand. I substituted 1 tbsp espresso powder for the coffee grounds and didn’t use the fritos. The dough is amazing, and I can’t wait the 12 minutes to try an actual cookie!

Dawn, I’m really not sure the answer to that question. My hunch is that they won’t care about that and will take your entry, but I really am not in the know on these issues.

Janet, it says to use “dry” used coffee grounds but I used coffee grounds straight from the morning brew. They seemed dry enough to me.

Kelly, I am SO excited about your variation. I hope you get back to us with the results.

I saw those on OCG’s blog. Very interesting. I don’t do the coffee thing, but the rest sounds awesome! Yours look great. I was hoping to see a cookie today.

6. Kelly says

Cookies were great! The sweet/salty balance was perfect for me, and the espresso powders added just the right depth of flavor. Yum!

OH MY GAH. The compost cookie sounds divine. I so want to go to Milk Bar now. I guess I’ll just have to settle for this AMAZING-looking copycat/spin-off version :) These sound delicious.

8. C L says

They sound tasty, and I might have to make these just to see what the excitement’s about. :) These sound like Hodgepodge or Spring Cleaning Cookies, although I never added coffee grounds before. Not a bad idea, though. :)