One Bowl, No-Mixer, Chocolate Chip Cookies Made with Olive Oil

For the past few weeks, Fuzz and I have been visiting the orthodontist in preparation for today. She’s getting an appliance called a tongue guard — something that’s supposed to help fix her “open bite” which she developed from a habit of thrusting her tongue forward. We’re not really sure how this tongue thrusting thing started – she never used a pacifier or sucked her thumb, so I guess it’s somehow hereditary. At any rate, I’m feeling a little uneasy and didn’t want to bake anything that required much thought.

With all that’s going on, today’s cookies are no-brainers you can make with just a bowl and a spoon. If you have a scale, it will be even easier because you can skip most of the measuring cups, set your bowl on the scale, set the tare to zero and weigh things.

This first cookie is a variation on Judy’s but with extra light olive oil. It does add a tiny bit of flavor, but it’s rather pleasant. Plus, it makes the cookie seem more wholesome…seem being the key word here. It’s still a cookie after all, but satisfying. The cookies don’t spread much, so it’s a good idea to press the dough mounds down a bit. These are thick, dense and hearty. Don’t over-bake and let cool completely before eating. They taste best cooled.

Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

Olive Oil Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2/3 cup (160 grams) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
1 large egg
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus an extra pinch (1 ml) salt
1 cup (4.5 oz) (125 gram) white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (80 grams) oats (old fashioned or quick) – I ground mine up a bit in the processor
2-3 oz (56-85 grams) dark chocolate, cut into chunks
1/3 cup(30 grams) toasted pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Have ready a non-stick or parchment lined cookie sheet.

Mix together the brown sugar, oil, vanilla and egg. When well mixed, add the baking powder and stir well. Watch out for stray lumps! Stir in the salt, then add the flour and stir until absorbed. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and nuts.

Scoop small tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Alternatively, you can shape the dough into balls and mash them down slightly. These don’t spread much. Bake for 10-13 minutes. Cookies are done when edges are slightly browned. The tops don’t brown much, but that’s okay because they are already dark from the brown sugar. Look for brown edges

Makes about 13 or 14 cookies

Comments

1. Karen says

Good luck to Fuzz today. My daughter’s been through a lot of orthodontia, starting at age 6, and continuing still now at age 15. It’s not really fun. Advil helps a lot.

I love no-brainer cookies. Plus, I’ve never made a chocolate chip cookie with olive oil before. How great! Hope Fuzz’s trip to the orthodontist went well!

Tongue guard is in! So far, so good. She has a cute new way of talking, but doesn’t seem to bothered by the appliance. What a good kid.

Glad to know that Fuzz is doing well. She must be a good egg! :-)
    I’ve always wanted to try olive oil in baking but I always chicken out. I bought some coconut oil to try and haven’t gotten around to that either.

She’s doing okay. She broke down a couple of times this evening crying “I want my old voice back. I want my old voice back.” and worrying that kids at school will make fun of her.

Oh boy we must be on the same page here. We have been through 3 orthodontists in the last month, the final one today – and all three have given me different treatments for both kids. Headgear, bands, the works. It’s driving me crazy – I need something simple to bake and these just might be the ticket!

7. Inés says

I tried this recipe and they came out perfectly. I loved them!! And so did everyone who tried. Plus, you can play the “healthy” card as a bonus!

PS: When I was little I also had to use a tongue guard. Don’t worry, she’ll get used to it and talking normally in no time. However, be ready for the moment the guard is no longer there, ’cause (if she’s anything like me) she’ll be able to talk much faster and won’t stop easily.

Hi Inés,

Thanks for trying the cookies! Also, I read your comment to Fuzz and she laughed. I think she’s finally getting used to the tongue guard…though she does sometimes cheat and stick her tongue under it. But she’s adjusted to it. She’s a big talker already, so I’ll brace myself for when it comes out ;).

9. Anonymous says

Thank you for this recipe. I am trying to bake without butter so I was very pleased to find it. I am also experimenting with coconut butter, so I adapted your recipe to use coconut butter. I also used baking soda and stoneground spelt flour (my preference). It worked very well and they are delicious. Thanks!

P.S. just seen your post on coconut oil – I agree, its great!

10. Julie says

It is 11pm and I am in a comatose state but needing something to pack in my kids lunches…so came across this recipe, thought might as well try it…I need SOMETHING for their lunches. Used spelt flour, even a grainy type, and these cookies turned out WONDERFUL. Better than any cookie I’ve made using spelt flour. I have just downed 4 in a matter of minutes. Thank you SO much for this recipe. Can’t wait to check out other recipes on this site.