Orange Layer Cake

Louise gave me this recipe and I was pretty excited about trying it because a) I hadn’t made orange cake in years and b) it was an excuse to buy some edible flowers. Louise might have more tips in the comment section, but I followed the directions as written and didn’t have any problems. It’s a very good orange cake.

Orange Cake

Orange Cake

Titi’s Orange Cake – from Louise

3 large eggs
12 tablespoons (170 grams) butter, at room temperature
1-1/2 Cups (290 grams) sugar
1 teaspoon (5ml) grated orange peel
3 cups all purpose flour (380 grams)
2-1/2 teaspoon (12 ml) Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (240 ml) fresh orange juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans.

2. For the cake, using an electric mixer (I just use a hand held one), beat the eggs at high speed 5 minutes in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, again using an electric mixer, cream the butter, then gradually add the sugar and orange peel. Add the eggs, beat 2 minutes to combine well, then add the dry ingredients, alternating with the orange juice, until smooth and well blended.

3. Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake about 35 minutes until a cake tester comes out dry. Allow to cool at room temperature, then remove from pans.

For the frosting, Louise uses the lemon orange cake from “The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook”, but uses “orange” wherever “lemon” is called for.

Orange Buttercream
2 sticks (230 grams) unsalted butter, very soft
8 cup Confectioners’ Sugar
1/2 cup (240 ml) fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange zest

This yields icing for 1 two- or three-layer 9-inch cake

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (I don’t do this.) Use and store at room temperature.

Comments

Mmm, orange cake sounds divine right now. And that orange buttercream. Oh man, I really really want some. Can’t wait to see photos!

2. beth says

I once had a delicious orange cake at a place called The Bubble Room in Captiva, Florida. Ever since I’ve kept my eye out for orange cake recipes. Can’t wait to try it. If you’re ever in Captiva, a trip to the Bubble Room is a must.

This one looks pretty good. I will take a photo of it tomorrow when I garnish it with edible flowers.

Beth, I’ll have to do some research on The Bubble Room. I’ve never heard of it, but I’ve never been to Captiva, either.

4. CindyD says

Have to check and see if this is anything like the famous orange cake in Jan Karon’s books (I haven’t made it).

5. Louise says

CindyD, this cake is from “Memories of a Cuban Kitchen” by Mary Urrutia Randelman. With the orange buttercream, the layer cake tastes like one my mother always made.

This sounds “Oh, my God” good. I had some bad luck with an orange sponge cake a few weeks ago – like I couldn’t get it out of the pan after it fell – and I was feeling cheated. I’m going to give this one a try. I’m a citrus lover.

7. Deanie says

Oh Anna and Beth! I am going to Captiva/Sanibel one week from Sunday. My husband and I honeymooned their 21 years ago and now try to go twice a year now, May and November. I will try the cake at the Bubble Room. Can’t wait to see your pic! I was in the mood for citrus cake last week so made my angel food cake with OJ instead of water and zested orange/lemon and lime peel.

8. Denice says

This citrus cake sounds fabulous. I am making your Titi’s Orange cake as well as two other cakes for a party on Sunday. I will let you know how it comes out! I made my own orange extract as well to use in it. Thin peels of two oranges (peel with peeler, do not use whites) and 1/4 cup each of vodka and water. Let sit at least one week. Then keep in fridg. It smells quite nice now.
    Thanks for a great site.
    Denice (Pleasanton,California)

9. Sally says

I made this recipe into cupcakes. It made 24 standard size. I halved the icing recipe but put in the full teaspoon of zest. I don’t like a ton of icing on my cupcakes so this was the right amount. If you like a LOT of icing then I would suggest making the full batch. The icing recipe as is was a bit runny but it dried smooth which I also like. If you want to pipe it or like a more sculptured icing then add more confectioner’s sugar. The cupcakes were delicious – the cake very moist and yummy with just the right amount of sweetness in the icing! Thank you Anna (and Louise)!

10. Louise says

I made this recipe again on Apr 22, right after Anna posted it. For the butter cream, when you add the first sugar and orange juice you need to beat it for a while to aerate it and the frosting will suddenly fluff up, change consistency, and dry out a bit. Then the additional sugar should be sufficient to pipe it. If anything, you may even use a little less. :-)