Pumpkin-Pecan-Butterscotch Scones

This recipe is adapted from one that’s supposed to be a Starbuck’s clone and which originally called for glaze and frosting. But I left off the toppings, added butterscotch chips and pecans, then sprinkled the tops with some vanilla icing sugar I brought home from Italy. I put the icing sugar container in the photo in case you want to pick some up next time you’re in Italy. Don’t you just love the little shaker container?  Fancy sugar or not, the scones are excellent.

pumpkin-scone

Pumpkin-Pecan-Butterscotch Scones

2 cups (270 grams) all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour**
7 tablespoons (84 grams) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon (15 ml) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon (2 ml) ground ginger
6 tablespoons (90 grams) cold butter (I used salted)
1/2 cup (120 grams) canned pumpkin
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons (50 ml) milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup butterscotch chips (or use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead)
1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans
Powdered sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degree F (220 C)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger together in mixing bowl or bowl of food processor. Cut in the butter to make a coarse and crumbly mixture. If you are using the food processor, pulse until crumbly.

Mix the pumpkin, vanilla, milk and egg together in a large bowl and add the crumbly mixture to the pumpkin mixture, followed by the butterscotch chips and nuts. Mix well and shape into a big 9 inch round. (about 1 inch high). Cut that round into 6 triangles and carefully transfer the triangles to a cookie sheet. Space them a few inches apart and bake for 18-20 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Makes 6

**If you haven’t bought a scale yet, spoon and sweep the flour gently so you don’t use too much.

Comments

vanilla icing sugar sounds so cool! i wonder if one can get that in the U.S. – i’ve seen flavored sugars at Williams Sonoma, though!

Olivia, why don’t you like scones?

Pearl, in the Italian grocery store they had vanilla and plain icing sugar and both types came in a cute shaker. If you find it in the U.S., let me know. I wish Domino or C&H would roll out something like that.

Judy, those would be great.

These scones weren’t very sweet so the chips worked out well.

Would you believe I’ve never made scones before? I’ve always wanted to, just haven’t done it yet. THESE look great and I like that they are made with milk and not cream as most recipes seem to have.

I prefer scones without iceing, so the icing sugar is perfect. I’m sure you could make your own once that one finishes, with regular sugar, a tiny bit of corn starch and a little dried vanilla bean, blitzed in the coffee grinder. The must be so flavourful!!!

Katrina, I might try making them with cream of half & half. The Starbucks version uses half & half.

Stephanie, I haven’t ever had a Starbucks scone. Lots of times bakery scones have gone dry by the time you buy them. These weren’t dry at all. Also, I wrapped one up for Fuzz to eat from breakfast and it stayed fresh overnight. I guess the pumpkin helps.

Well maybe that explains it, everytime I’ve had a scone it’s always tasted dry and stale. I too have never made them, only purchased them at the local bakeries, so maybe I will just give these a try!

Mmm, pumpkin with butterscotch chips…sounds delicious!! And that icing sugar is just precious. I want to run to Italy to get myself some!