Weird but Delicious — Kix Cookies

A few weeks ago, Fuzz went over to a friend’s house and ate dry Kix cereal for a snack. She liked Kix so much she asked me to buy a box. I did, and we’ve been munching on them all week. That they would eventually get baked into a cookie was inevitable.

I’m not an expert on baking with Kix and figured the best way to start would be to Google up something that looked popular. This was it. The recipe sounded strange, but that’s never stopped me in the past so I baked a small batch today.

My first thought upon pulling these from the oven was “Trash Can!”. But the directions said “cool completely” so I carefully moved the cookies to a rack and let them sit.

Cooling was key. The Kix crisped up and the peanut butter mortar dried into a more pleasing texture. I took a few bites and then couldn’t stop eating them because the texture is so light and crispy. Here’s the recipe if you dare. I’m curious to see what other people think of these.

kix-cookies

Kix Peanut Butter Chocolate Crisps

1/2 cup (130 grams) peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural)**
1/3 cup (63 grams) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (65 grams) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 grams) butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking powder
1 egg
½ teaspoon (2 ml) vanilla
4 cups Kix cereal (100 grams)**
3/4 to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (use however many you want)

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Stir peanut butter, sugars, butter, baking soda, baking powder, egg and vanilla in large bowl until well mixed. Stir in cereal and chocolate chips.

Shape dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls; place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely. Store loosely covered. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

**It’s probably best to use exactly 4 cups or less. If you use too many Kix, the cookies won’t hold together as well.

**I recommend using a less-sweet peanut butter like one of the “naturals” or Smart Balance.

Comments

Can’t stay away from your blog ;-) Have you ever tried the Gorilla Munch cereal?? It’s a certified gluten-free version of Kix with 3 ingredients. I’m in love.

Mmmm! If I had some Kix I would make these this afternoon! My son liked Kix when he was younger and it was one of the ready made cereals I’d let my kids eat because it’s not so full of sugar.
    I love the stuff you come up with!

Thanks for the tip, Liz. I’ve seen that cereal, but haven’t bought it. If Fuzz likes Kix then she should like Gorilla Munch.

Sue, I wish I’d come up with this but all I did was add vanilla. Apparently this is a well-known recipe. I guess people forgot about it ;).

My kids love Kix. I don’t have any right now but will try them in the future. I’ll let you know when I do. Gorilla Munch also comes in peanut butter flavor…wonder if that would be too much peanut butter.

I am so trying this… I have a box of Kix that I have been meaning to finish… I guess they’ll become cookies. :)

6. Louise says

I won’t be making these as I’d have to sneak the Kix into the house past my (retired)husband. When we were growing up the TV ad said “Kix are for kids” and they were still forbidden.

Those look really good! My son would love them…He always loved snacking on dry Kix as a kid. And, even though he’s 15 now, they will still put a smile on his face.

Katrina, the Honey Kix might work. The flavor would be different, but I don’t think the texture would be too different.

I can’t believe how much I like these. I think there’s also a salty/sweet thing going on with the salt from the recipe and the cereal mixed with the peanut butter and sugar.

One more thing. BB mentioned adding honey. You could try it, but I think it might make the texture too wet. The texture right now is not gooey, but really crispy.

10. debbi says

Thanks so much for posting these yummy looking cookies – I need to use a jar of crunchy peanut butter I picked up by mistake, and I think it would be perfect in this. Also, do you think it would work with Nutella(leave out the chocolate chips)?

Hi Debbie,

This is a great use for peanut butter. I wouldn’t try it with Nutella, though. Nutella is much sweeter and has a different composition than peanut butter. I’m just not sure what you would get! You could always experiment and report back, but I probably wouldn’t use the Nutella without making serious adjustments all around.

I have a great Kix recipe for you to try.

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

4 cups Kix Cereal

Melt butter and sugar together as you would for toffee in a 4 quart saucepan on the stove stirring constantly on medium heat for about 10 minutes. I usually don’t time it, I just stir until I see the caramel mixture turn golden brown. Turn off the stove and add 4 cups of Kix to the mixture. Stir until all the cereal is coated and then pour out onto wax paper or parchment paper, foil, or a cookie sheet. Spread thinly and wait about 5 minutes until it has cooled. Break into pieces and enjoy. It’s incredibly addicting. A sweet lady gave this recipe to my sister-in-law . We call it “Mrs. Bobba’s Toffee” in honor of her. I have never met a person who didn’t like it or beg for the recipe. I make it every Christmas and people love it. You can add nuts if you like and it tastes great that way too. Hope you like it.

13. maris says

I saw a layer cake frosted and topped with Kix cereal in a cookbook recently..hard to believe that there is more than one dessert recipe out there!

14. nickie says

These look really yummy! I’m sure my kids would love these as well. We just had a box of the Honey Flavored Kix in the house last week and we really liked those, they had just a hint of sweetness to them, I wonder what those would taste like in this recipe???!!!!

Those look fun to eat. They also look like they’re full of air so that I would end up eating all of them.

I can’t find your Top 10 lists anymore. Did you remove them? I thought they were really neat and helpful.

16. debbi says

For me, cooling was not key – they were totally awesome warm and gooey from the oven! they were really hard to remove from the pan, so I would probably use some spray on the pan the next time. For the second batch, I just spread the mixture around and broke into pieces after it cooled in the pan. These are REALLY hard to stop eating, especially if you are a choco/pb freak like me, so be sure to have someone there to keep you from eating them all!

Mmm, these cookies look really good. I used to love to snack on Kix. I may have to get my hand on them again soon. So glad you liked them!

18. Marcia says

I ended up making a batch of these (as well as the magic blondies) for our bake sale this weekend and they were a HUGE hit! Someone suggested adding mini marshmallows to the batter next time, so I may try a small batch w/them tonight. I’ll let you know if it works!!

Thanks for letting me know, Marcia. Now I feel less embarrassed about liking them so much.

A friend of mine also made these. She thought peanut butter chips would be a good addition. So now I’m thinking of making another batch with peanut butter chips, mini marshmallows and pretzels.

20. Pamela says

I made these kix cookies for my kids one day off the recipe from the back of the box and they loved it so much it was a big hit in my family and so simple to make. Yes the ingredients sound weird but oooh so good. I make them for the college I work at and the students here love them just like my kids did but when I lost the recipe all I had to do was google it and sure enough there was the oldie but goodie. I give this cookie a high rating and recommend this for any kix cereal lover

Hi Pamela,

I’m glad I was able to resurrect the recipe for you. I liked it too! At first I wasn’t so sure, but the textures and flavors grew on me. I need to buy more Kix.

22. corinne says

Took a while for me to get around to it, but these are pretty tasty! I think I actually like them warm, so the chocolate is still melty, but perhaps they’ll be even better once they’re done cooling.
    These should cheer up my roommates, who had to take their pup to the emergency vet last night.

23. Rachel says

I made these as a kid growing up. We used butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips. If you like butterscotch chips – then they’re even better than with chocolate chips!

24. FlyGirl_USAF says

I wonder if we could somehow make this work w/ the fruity Kix, but I don’t bake enough to know what would be a good substitute for the peanut butter and chocolate. maybe white chocolate chips and marshmallows, but that would make it too much like a rice krispy treat? Any suggestions? For the holidays, my base does something called a Cookie Caper (bake cookies then drop them off at the dorms/barracks) for all the single/unaccompanied Airmen, Soldiers, & Sailors on base, and I just want to bake something else besides cookies.

Cookie Caper sounds fun! About the Kix, I think these are best with just plain Kix. And while I think these are really good, they’re not the most attractive cookies. What about Frito Candy or Lake Travis Mud?

26. Angie says

Just made these since I have an abundance of Kix and peanut butter. Made them with out the chocolate chips. Oddly addicting, however I think I will try them as a bar cookie next time. Thanks for the recipe!

27. Shifra says

Can I use margerine instead of butter in this recipe? That is all I have and also would like to keep this dairy free.

28. Ali says

I followed this recipe with Sunbutter and Enjoy Life chips as substitute for my peanut/ tree nut allergic children. Tasted pretty good! I think I made the balls too big or the Sunbutter consistency made them melt. At any rate, i used a spoon to re-form them before they cooled. I called them reindeer poop and the boys loved it. Gross, i know.
    Thx for sharing the recipe!

Glad to hear the Sun Butter works! I like it too. It’s not quite as sticky as peanut butter, but it tastes good and does the job.