Butterscotch Brownie Round-Up — Comparisons

by on May 10, 2009 · 9 comments

Happy Belated Butterscotch Brownie Day!

And Happy Mother’s Day as well, but I missed National Butterscotch Day and need to touch on that first because one thing yesterday’s holiday brought to my attention was that of the nine recipes I have categorized under “Blondies”, only a couple have a particular emphasis on butterscotch. I need to make more and find the butterscotch brownie that trumps all others, but this will take a while, as evidenced by how slowly my other “best-of”  round-ups (e.g. French Silk Pie) have gone, so let’s get started.

As far as “best of the best” goes, I have made this one several times and it is very good. Unfortunately, it calls for macadamia nuts and I have a hard time finding ones that don’t taste stale. It’s a solid recipe, though.

Whole Foods Butterscotch Maple Macadamia Blondies

This is one I made for fake National Butterscotch Day (not to be confused with the real National Butterscotch Brownie Day). These aren’t actually brownies, but they are excellent bar cookies.

Toasted Pecan-Caramel-Butterscotch-Oat Squares

Joy of Baking adapted this recipe from the late Richard Sax. I might make these today because I  like anything by Sax and haven’t tried enough recipes from Joy of Baking.

Joy of Baking Richard Sax Butterscotch Brownies

Jenn’s also sound good. The recipe is similar to the Helm’s Bakery clone (in the Blondies section) but with more brown sugar and probably more butterscotch flavor.  Jenn gives them a thumbs up.

Jenn’s Baking Chamber Butterscotch Blondies

Here’s a less complicated, highly rated and simple recipe from Hershey’s. I’m pretty sure I’ve made these, but couldn’t find the recipe on Cookie Madness.  Hershey’s recipes are usually very good and often overlooked.

Hershey Butterscotch Blondies

Joe and I both have made Cooking Light’s blondie recipe. It’s not too rich and sometimes that’s a good thing.  It’s key not to use too much flour.

Cooking Light Butterscotch Blondies

Published on May 10, 2009

mom of the b-rberrys May 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

Happy Mother’s Day!

What happened to your lists of “Top 10′s”?

Anna May 10, 2009 at 10:48 am

I’m going to re-work them and categorize them by Top 10 Peanut Butter, Top 10 Sugar, Top 10 Chocolate Chip etc.

Sue May 10, 2009 at 11:22 am

I clicked on all of those recipes and hope you make the Joy of Baking recipe and I hope they’re good. They sure look good!
Revamping your Top 10 lists sounds ambitious! I’ve been thinking about those Apricot Orange Bars that made a previous top ten list. I think it is a Julie Hiasson recipe? Anyway I love, love, LOVE those bars!

If I were going to be home today I’d definitely bake something. Rhubarb has been on my mind too. It’s looking almost ready to pull. :-)

We’re taking off for the rest of the day to be with family. Have a Happy Mother’s Day!

Anna May 10, 2009 at 11:36 am

Sue, those bars are great! They’re by Julie Hasson. She does cooking videos now at Every Day Dish TV. I took them down briefly and got emails from people asking to put the recipe back.

Pearl May 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Happy Mother’s Day!

snooky doodle May 10, 2009 at 12:18 pm

oh how can I choose these all look delicious

KAnn May 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm

This is so timely for me, Anna. I have always loved blondies but have not made them before…I tried a recipe from the CL BB and wasn’t real pleased. They were intended for a bake sale so I just left them out but I am eager to try some of these. I tend to prefer the bars that don’t have chips, though.

Anna May 10, 2009 at 3:04 pm

These were really good, KAnn. I think you’ll like them.

Now I’ll probably go ahead and make the Joy of Baking/Sax blondies just for comparison.

Martha May 11, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Thanks for the butterscotch blondie roundup. I never seem to tire of the classics.

My favorite way to make butterscotch blondies is with a combination of butterscotch chips, toasted coconut, and chopped macadamia nuts.