Press Rewind

I really wanted to like today’s cookies because Recipezaar reviewers gave the recipe 5 stars, but something was off and it wasn’t the Kahlua. The original recipe calls for butter-flavored shortening and I used regular, but I seriously doubt the convergence of artificial butter flavor and coffee liqueur makes these any better. Besides, it wasn’t the flavor so much as the texture that I didn’t like. It was doughy and creepy.

If you make these and like them, don’t be embarrassed to say so. They were quite pretty and I want someone to say they taste as good as they look (like the reviewers), but I’m just not into these and wish I’d started the day with a different recipe.

chocolate-chip-cookies-with-kahlua

Comments

1. Louise says

I can’t help you out here as I have a thing against using butter-flavor shortening.

2. Trixie says

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cookie described as “creepy” before! *giggle*

What a shame… they do look great. Maybe you should stick your regular ccc and dip in khalua! Now that’s something that I would like!

Well, the texture was creepy. The recipe itself wasn’t creepy and the cookie looked innocent enough ;).

Rita, I’m with you. Or maybe just eat regular chocolate chip cookies with a Kahlua drink?

5. Louise says

The photo certainly looks nice, but I read the 2 reviews on Recipezaar and all I can say is “there’s no accounting for taste.” Who knows what these two people were comparing the cookies to.

6. Daisy Doodles says

I have made a cookie with Kahlua but not this one. It was a recipe I found in Cooking Light (one of those “Hey my recipe is 5000 calories let’s Lighten it up” kinds). I like the recipe I used and it makes nice, bite sized crispy cookies. If you want it I will scan and email to you!
    Heather

Heather, thanks for the heads up on the Cooking Light recipe! I will see if I can find it on their website before I ask you to go to the trouble of scanning. Hopefully it’s there.

Hi Claire,
    I meant to address that, but left it out of the post. Butter doesn’t work very well. I tried using half butter and half shortening and the cookies came out flat and overly brown. So I imagine with ALL butter, they’d be even flatter.

Isn’t there a contradiction in the recipe online? The directions say real Kahlua, but in the note from the original poster, it says she uses sugar-free flavored syrup. Although I doubt using that would make things taste better, it does sound as if she was pretty careless about throwing the recipe together.

9. Jen says

from a glance, that recipe is pretty much your standard toll house chocolate chip cookie, but replacing a cup of butter with 3/4 cup shortening and 1/4 cup kahlua. seems like the two might not produce a perfect substitution, baking-wise… I can see the texture being kind of weird and doughy.. but I have to admit I’m curious and will probably give these a shot!