S’mores Cupcakes

by on May 30, 2009 · 12 comments

I try to post recipes that don’t require lots of equipment, but today’s is an exception. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever posted anything that required so much gear — in this case, food processor, a stand mixer, a candy thermometer, and a torch. And frankly, the torch was the whole reason for making these. Ever since I bought it I’ve been looking for things to burn.

S’mores cupcakes seemed perfect for my torching mood, but there are lots of s’mores cupcake recipes out there. Since I couldn’t find one I liked, I used a couple of different recipes and built a cupcake of my own. I wanted one that had a real graham cracker flavor, plus chocolate and of course, the burnt marshmallow top. This one filled the bill, though I can’t say I wouldn’t be happy with others.

Also, this recipe halves well. Halving an egg yolk isn’t as troublesome as it sounds because you don’t have to be precise.

smores-cupcakes

S’mores Cupcakes

32 graham crackers (squares)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (salted butter)
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk)

Meringue Frosting
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.

Process graham crackers into crumbs. Add flour and baking powder to crumbs and pulse processor to mix.
Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in milk, followed by graham cracker mixture and chocolate chips. Divide evenly among cupcake cake cups and bake on center rack for 22-25 minutes or until cakes test done.

Prepare Meringue Frosting

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat gently to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil without stirring. Boil to firm ball stage (248).

Meanwhile, using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the hot sugar syrup. Gradually increase the speed to high, and beat meringue for 7 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. At this point, it should be thick and spoonable – not too droopy.

Spoon big gobs of meringue on top of cupcakes and torch them gently. I kept setting the cupcake liners on fire, so be careful.

Published on May 30, 2009

Katrina May 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Awesome, YUM! Yer makin’ me want to git a torch just to play with! ;)

Carole Resnick May 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I have had a torch sitting in my juck drawer for at least 10 years and I have never used it.

FIRE SCARES ME!!!

I tell Al that I’ll use the torch when the Cleveland Heights Fire Department parks an engine in my driveway.

A Mom Anonymous May 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Oh Anna these sound wonderful! I don’t mind the equipment usage most days. When I do, it’s a quick batch of basic cookies made with all utensils and bowls that go in the dishwasher and parchment on my cookie sheets (so I don’t have to wash the pans).
Yet again, a recipe I’ll have to bookmark and try out sometime.

Hey, were you in the lastes Tastes of Home mag with a recipe?

Elyse May 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm

These look delicious, Anna!! I’ve been craving s’mores, and I think these cupcakes would be a perfect solution. How totally awesome. And I love how you used the torch on the meringue.

Jen Schall @ My Kitchen Addiction May 30, 2009 at 8:38 pm

These look delicious! Sometimes you just need to use a few power tools in the kitchen. I need to get myself a kitchen torch… Everything’s fun toasted :)

snooky doodle May 31, 2009 at 12:49 am

these look so good. I love s mores and the frosting is amazing. :)

Anna May 31, 2009 at 7:03 am

Katrina, the torch is pretty fun. And if you don’t make a lot of torch desserts, you can use it to light a charcoal grill.

Carole, why don’t you invite the fire department over for creme brulee?

A Mom, thanks for your input on equipment. And to answer your other question, yes.

Elyse, I might make another batch with just a chocolate base.

Jen, get a torch.

SD, this frosting was good but I’m going to try a few other versions. Martha Stewart has a few different meringue icings and I noticed that she cooks her sugar syrup to 238 rather than 248.

Louise May 31, 2009 at 7:21 am

The cupcakes are cute. Years ago my cooking teacher set off the fire alarm, and got a quick response from the fire company, when he demonstrated flambeing and he was right beneath the smoke detector. Power tools are cool. That’s why Habitat for Humanity Women Builds are great. Building a house from scratch rules.

Anj May 31, 2009 at 7:26 am

Those cupcakes are beautiful! I love the way they are swirled on top — so pretty.

Sue May 31, 2009 at 7:43 am

Beautiful cupcakes! Those would be so much fun to serve kids or anyone who is a kid at heart!

Hmmm. I’m adding to my equipment wish list. A digital scale, a torch, a digital thermometer that doesn’t go on the fritz when I drop it, which is too often.

Andrea June 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

Ooooh, I’ve got a torch and have been trying to build up the courage to try a similar recipe. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jean August 17, 2009 at 9:54 pm

These were a hit at my friend’s party. They were delicious with a Wow! factor too. I couldn’t find my husband’s blowtorch so I put the cupcakes with the meringue frosting under the broiler until they turned a nice golden brown. Thanks for the recipe!