Taking Some Time Off

by on May 22, 2009 · 20 comments

Not long ago, Fuzz learned how to ride a bike. Over the past few weeks she’s grown more and more confident and now she’s a bicycle maniac. To celebrate, we’re taking her to Santa Monica to ride bikes on the beach trail. So if you don’t hear from me tomorrow, that’s why….but I’ll try to check in. Some friends have recommended various L.A. bakeries and I might have to report back.

But I do have some cookies today, and they will conclude the series of oatmeal-chocolate-chip which I’ve been baking for a friend. I baked up more dough from the other 3 batches this morning and they are all fairly chewy. So to add some crunchy cookies to the mix, I made a recipe from one of my most trusted cookbooks, the KA Cookie Companion. If you like crunchy, these are guaranteed winners because along with being crunchy, they are fairly thick.

Oh, and I’ve been meaning to tell you about the chocolate chips I’m using this week – Guittard’s Double Dark Chocolate Chips. Nicole reviewed them 6 months ago on Baking Bites and I’ve been patiently waiting for their arrival. If you live in Austin, check H.E.B.

crunchy-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies

Essential Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup brown sugar (170 grams)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (114 grams)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (91 grams)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (120 grams)
3 cups rolled oats (300 grams)
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup (4 ounces) diced pecans or walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line some cookie sheets with parchment paper

Cream the sugars, butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Beat in the salt, baking powder and vanilla, scraping sides and beating until smooth. Beat in the egg, then add the flour, followed by the oats. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar or the back of a spoon (which is what I used), flatten each ball of dough to about 1/4-inch thick.

Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, until they’re golden brown. These are supposed to be crunchy, so don’t underbake them. Remove them from the oven

Makes 4 dozen cookies

Published on May 22, 2009

Katrina May 22, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Have FUN in CA ridin’ bikes!
I knew when you said crunchy oatmeal cookies that they had to have shortening in them. They look great. Haven’t seen those chips here yet.

Sue May 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Those are good looking cookies!!
I’m so happy for Fuzz that she’s got the bicycle riding buzz! We did a lot of bike riding with our kids when they were young and we cherish all of those times and great memories. To bike in California along the ocean sounds HEAVENLY!! I’m a bit green with envy. Have a WONDERFUL time!

Pearl May 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

yaaay for fuzz to master bike riding! it’s like.. the equivalent of getting a car!

Karen May 22, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Have fun in Santa Monica, my hometown! I hope you report on any tasty goodies you find, because I’ll be there next month.

Elyse May 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Ooo, Santa Monica sounds like such a great time! Have fun. These cookies look absolutely fabulous. YUM!

Mrsblocko May 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm

These look great. I can’t wait to try them! I love crispy oatmeal cookies but they always end up thin and lacey. I’m excited that thes are thick. How many cups of chocolate chips did you add? Do you think they would be as tasty with butterscotch chips or does the thinkness of the cookie need the chocolate?

clumbsycookie May 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Great idea! Have a wonderful time riding in Cali! You can leave the cookies for us!

Louise May 22, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Have a great time on the long weekend. We have family that lives on the strand just south of there in Manhattan Beach.

Kerstin May 22, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Yay for Fuzz! I hope you have a lovely time in CA – what a great idea :)

Anna May 22, 2009 at 3:34 pm

2 cups chocolate chips! Thanks for catching that because I knocked them off. Butterscotch chips would be great here. I also think coconut would be good.

Denise May 22, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Have a great trip…these look awesome. I love oatmeal in cookies

Delia May 22, 2009 at 3:50 pm

That sounds so fun! Santa Monica is an awesome place!

Rina May 22, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Have a great time and very happy to hear that Fuzz is biking up a storm! I haven’t checked her blog recently, but wonder if she’s blogging about it?

Have fun in Santa Monica this weekend (I will be there on Saturday as well, attending a wedding – I will laugh if I run into you at a bakery)!

Jasmine May 22, 2009 at 5:52 pm

This could be an obvious answer but what exactly makes a cookie crunchy or chewy? is it more butter? sugar? longer bake times?? I feel like this is something i should know! : )

barb May 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Have a wonderful time Anna!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer May 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Have a great time – Our So Cal weather this weekend will be wonderful!! I have not been to SM in way too long.

dawn May 23, 2009 at 8:05 am

oh have fun! I would love to hear about any LA bakeries. I miss LA so much…I want to move back home so badly.

unconfidentialcook.com May 23, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I’m in LA and can’t wait to hear which bakeries you love.

Lo January 23, 2010 at 1:51 am

These were freaking amazing! I didn’t have shortening so I just used all butter, and I put 1 tbsp of flax in there as well. Oh, and I used this same chip brand but the regular chocolate instead of extra dark (they were awesome). I’m going to try making these with agave and honey next time.

Anna January 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

Lo, thanks for the review! I hope your agave and honey version works out. Also, if you liked this recipe you might consider buying (unless you have it already) the King Arthur Cookie Companion. It’s a great cookbook.