Top 5 Cookie List

These are just my current favorites and the list could change at any time. But these are the recipes I fall back on or recommend to people.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

BAKE SALE BEST-SELLERS

Magic Blondies from Martha Stewart
Rocky Road Fudge Brownie Muffins
Zingermann’s Brownie Clone
Rice Krispy Treats

BREAKFAST COOKIES

BHG’s Loaded Oatmeal Cookie
Judy’s Wholesome Chocolate Chip Cookies
Agave and Honey Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Stir and Bake Peanut Butter Protein Cookies
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

CHOCOLATE CHIP Had to have 10 for this category. Room for 1 more.

S’mores Cookies
New Cooks Illustrated Chocolate Chip
Almost Like Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Ibarra
New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by D. Lebovitz
Crunchy Cookies from King Arthur
Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip
Alexis Stewart’s Cookies (very thin and crispy)
Tate’s Bake Shop Cookies (Thin with crispy edges)

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE

Mascarpone Brownies

BOXED BROWNIE RECIPES

Easy Peanut Butter Marshmallow Krispie Topped Brownies
Triple Espresso Brownies

BLONDIES Still need one

Pat’s Chocolate Chip Bars
Malted Blondies from “Baked”
Chef Kate’s Goop Blondies

BUTTERSCOTCH BLONDIES Still need two

Jenn’s/Garret McCord’s Butterscotch Brownies
Whole Foods Butterscotch Macadamia Blondies
Old School Betty Crocker

BARS WITH CREAM CHEESE

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars

Comments

Thank you for including the NY Times ccc, earlier you hadn’t put it on there. It’s definitely in my top 3! I just love cookies, they’re all good. ;)

2. A fan says

How can you forget the double pb cookie (where you wrap pb cookie dough around a delicious ball of pb in the middle). That’s a staple at our house!

Yeah, I was on the fence about the NYT cookie because of the fact you have to buy the different flours. But really, is that such a big deal? It is a good cookie.

Fan, that is a good one! Do you make the scratch version or use the million dollar refrigerated dough version?

Once you buy cake and bread flour, you will have a bag of it just for the NY Times cookies and they are definitely worth it.
    If you are ever in the mood to try a sugar cookie, my recipe(obviously MY opinion-but I have tried many) is SO good. Roll the cookies pretty thick and don’t over bake, slather with a good vanilla frosting and sprinkles. Grandma’s famous pink cookies, but they are great for cutting shapes, too. My mom’s favorite cookie! (She doesn’t eat chocolate-ever.)
    Oh, and I’m sure you’ve considered it, but I see you only have 4 double chocolate and my vote is for Baking Blonde’s Chocolate Shock cookie! ;)

6. A fan says

Too funny! I was talking about even a different one — the one where you start with the PB cookie mix! There are just too too many delicious pb cookies, I guess!

7. Karen says

Great list, I’ve made about half already but will definitely be baking a few more soon. Thanks, Anna.

8. Erin M says

Oh Anna, you know how I love your lists! I’d better get cracking and I think I’ll start with one of the brownies. I need to bring a treat to a swim party tomorrow.

Okay, sugar cookie link is fixed. I still need to find 3 more, but will need to think about it because sugar cookies aren’t a favorite.

Karen, good suggestion on the mascarpone brownies! Those are excellent.

Erin, I know you liked the Top 10 list so hopefully this will be even better for you :).

10. KAnn says

I also have reservations about buying the cake flour and bread flour. I think that cake flour is bleached, isn’t it??

Hi Anna!

I swear there is more on this list than when I looked at it yesterday. I was wowed yesterday by the list, and I’m even more wowed by it this morning! I know this was a lot of work!

Yesterday I was searching your blog for the One Bowl Cocoa Brownie recipe but I couldn’t find it, and today there it is. I must not have been using the right search words yesterday. I ended up making another recipe and will blog about it later.

Have a great day! You deserve a day off after all of that work you did yesterday!

Thank you for all the work you do on this blog and for all of the outstanding recipes you share!

Sue

This is such a great list and I like the sound of those – New Cooks Illustrated Chocolate Chip cookies mmmmmm

And I’m now tempted to try each and everyone I haven’t so far. My eyes landed on the good and easy oatmeal cookies, I haven’t seen those before!

14. Louise says

I agree that you should add 5 more to the cc cookie category as I don’t think I’d always pick the same one as my favorite. I also like Alton Brown’s “The Chewy” and JT’s.

Okay, good. I’m going to add the Williams Sonoma crunchy recipe for people who like crunchy cookies and the David Lebovitz chewy cookie. I might also add Alton Brown’s.

16. MmmmGood says

Great list! Love your blog! I’m going to use your cookie list as a way to get back into baking (and hopefully to myself to the gym! ha ha) Just curious – any chance of adding your top 5 favorite blondie recipes to the list? I am having a craving…. :)

Hi Anna, I’ll chime in with everyone and say that you have a great list going there. I’m probably way too indecisive to make such a list, and to be honest, I haven’t baked enough different recipes in as many categories as you so as to make favorite lists for some of them!

I have a nomination for your 10th chocolate chip cookie recipe to put on the list: if you like Alexis Stewart’s cookies, try the Tate’s Bake Shop choco chip cookies. I’ve bought their packaged cookies when I went to NYC recently, and I’ve made the recipe myself several times… I make my dough balls too big for it to be thin and crispy like they’re supposed to be, but the buttery brown sugar flavor is just as good chewy as it is crispy. Love them. My friends said they were the best CC cookies I’d ever made…until the Cooks Illustrated Perfect CC cookie came along…haha.

18. Karen says

Hi Anna, I am really loving this list and plan to bake several from it over the next couple of weeks. But I hope the old top ten lists will still be archived for reference? I often would take a look back at them for inspiration. Thanks.

Anna, I was so happy you posted these!! I had to bake cookies to send to Iraq a few days ago and these saved my life. I made the Smores cookies and the Flourless Peanut Butter cookies. Both were very good!!

20. Michelle says

Anna,
    I love this list! Thanks for taking the time to compile it. I was super surprised not to see my favorite p.b. cookie recipe on your list, cause I was just sure it was one of the first recipes I ever tried from your blog. So I searched through all of your p.b. recipes and finally found the post:
    looks like you made them on a bad day! I highly suggest you try them again. I made them after seeing them on your blog and on Smitten Kitchen
    and they are absolutely my favorite. They just melt in your mouth. I don’t make them with peanuts or with chunky p.b. I recommend just doing the creamy. I usually use my favorite, Jif. Anyways, I hope you’ll try making them again as I think they are incredible and so does everyone I make them for!

Michelle, I’ll try them again. I thought they were good, but they didn’t make my top 5 because I liked the others (listed above) more. Maybe Peanut Butter needs to be a Top 10 category.

22. CindyD says

Just got home from our marathon trip and went back to see what I’d missed in your blog. I’m very flattered to find my favorite cookies on your favorites list! Thanks!

Cindy, I like your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies a lot. In fact, I made a small batch today because I’m testing a bunch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie back to back. I’ll post results as they come.