Top 5 Cookie List

by on May 12, 2009 · 37 comments

These are just my current favorites and the list could change at any time. But these are the recipes I fall back on or recommend to people.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

BAKE SALE BEST-SELLERS

Magic Blondies from Martha Stewart
Rocky Road Fudge Brownie Muffins
Zingermann’s Brownie Clone
Rice Krispy Treats

BREAKFAST COOKIES

BHG’s Loaded Oatmeal Cookie
Judy’s Wholesome Chocolate Chip Cookies
Agave and Honey Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Stir and Bake Peanut Butter Protein Cookies
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

CHOCOLATE CHIP Had to have 10 for this category. Room for 1 more.

S’mores Cookies
New Cooks Illustrated Chocolate Chip
Almost Like Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Ibarra
New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by D. Lebovitz
Crunchy Cookies from King Arthur
Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip
Alexis Stewart’s Cookies (very thin and crispy)
Tate’s Bake Shop Cookies (Thin with crispy edges)

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE

Mascarpone Brownies

BOXED BROWNIE RECIPES

Easy Peanut Butter Marshmallow Krispie Topped Brownies
Triple Espresso Brownies

BLONDIES Still need one

Pat’s Chocolate Chip Bars
Malted Blondies from “Baked”
Chef Kate’s Goop Blondies

BUTTERSCOTCH BLONDIES Still need two

Jenn’s/Garret McCord’s Butterscotch Brownies
Whole Foods Butterscotch Macadamia Blondies
Old School Betty Crocker

BARS WITH CREAM CHEESE

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars

Published on May 12, 2009

Pearl May 12, 2009 at 2:16 pm

what a great list!

Sue May 12, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This is a terrific list! Oh boy do I have a lot of baking to do. :-)

dawn May 12, 2009 at 3:12 pm

ohhh rasp & white chocolate! need to have a look at that one

Katrina May 12, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Thank you for including the NY Times ccc, earlier you hadn’t put it on there. It’s definitely in my top 3! I just love cookies, they’re all good. ;)

A fan May 12, 2009 at 3:15 pm

How can you forget the double pb cookie (where you wrap pb cookie dough around a delicious ball of pb in the middle). That’s a staple at our house!

Anna May 12, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Yeah, I was on the fence about the NYT cookie because of the fact you have to buy the different flours. But really, is that such a big deal? It is a good cookie.

Anna May 12, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Fan, that is a good one! Do you make the scratch version or use the million dollar refrigerated dough version?

Katrina May 12, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Once you buy cake and bread flour, you will have a bag of it just for the NY Times cookies and they are definitely worth it.
If you are ever in the mood to try a sugar cookie, my recipe(obviously MY opinion-but I have tried many) is SO good. Roll the cookies pretty thick and don’t over bake, slather with a good vanilla frosting and sprinkles. Grandma’s famous pink cookies, but they are great for cutting shapes, too. My mom’s favorite cookie! (She doesn’t eat chocolate-ever.)
Oh, and I’m sure you’ve considered it, but I see you only have 4 double chocolate and my vote is for Baking Blonde’s Chocolate Shock cookie! ;)

A fan May 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Too funny! I was talking about even a different one — the one where you start with the PB cookie mix! There are just too too many delicious pb cookies, I guess!

Karen May 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Great list, I’ve made about half already but will definitely be baking a few more soon. Thanks, Anna.

Erin M May 12, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Oh Anna, you know how I love your lists! I’d better get cracking and I think I’ll start with one of the brownies. I need to bring a treat to a swim party tomorrow.

meredith May 12, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Brownies — how about the America’s Test Kitchen version?

Heather - Ghost Baker May 12, 2009 at 7:18 pm

this looks great! thanks for the list :-)

Karen May 12, 2009 at 7:19 pm

The mascarpone brownies are pretty good, too, they get my vote.

Anna May 12, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Okay, sugar cookie link is fixed. I still need to find 3 more, but will need to think about it because sugar cookies aren’t a favorite.

Karen, good suggestion on the mascarpone brownies! Those are excellent.

Erin, I know you liked the Top 10 list so hopefully this will be even better for you :).

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer May 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm

DAMN Anna that is one killer list!! Thank you so much for sharing your favorites with the peoples!!

KAnn May 12, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I also have reservations about buying the cake flour and bread flour. I think that cake flour is bleached, isn’t it??

Anna May 13, 2009 at 6:14 am

KAnn, I believe it is.

Sue May 13, 2009 at 7:51 am

Hi Anna!

I swear there is more on this list than when I looked at it yesterday. I was wowed yesterday by the list, and I’m even more wowed by it this morning! I know this was a lot of work!

Yesterday I was searching your blog for the One Bowl Cocoa Brownie recipe but I couldn’t find it, and today there it is. I must not have been using the right search words yesterday. I ended up making another recipe and will blog about it later.

Have a great day! You deserve a day off after all of that work you did yesterday!

Thank you for all the work you do on this blog and for all of the outstanding recipes you share!

Sue

Rosie May 13, 2009 at 9:18 am

This is such a great list and I like the sound of those – New Cooks Illustrated Chocolate Chip cookies mmmmmm

clumbsycookie May 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

And I’m now tempted to try each and everyone I haven’t so far. My eyes landed on the good and easy oatmeal cookies, I haven’t seen those before!

Mary May 13, 2009 at 11:39 am

Anna, are the cookies listed by order of preference within category/type?

Anna May 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

Hi Mary,

No, not at all. Also, I feel like I should add 5 more to the chocolate chip cookie category.

Louise May 13, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I agree that you should add 5 more to the cc cookie category as I don’t think I’d always pick the same one as my favorite. I also like Alton Brown’s “The Chewy” and JT’s.

Anna May 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Okay, good. I’m going to add the Williams Sonoma crunchy recipe for people who like crunchy cookies and the David Lebovitz chewy cookie. I might also add Alton Brown’s.

MmmmGood May 13, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Great list! Love your blog! I’m going to use your cookie list as a way to get back into baking (and hopefully to myself to the gym! ha ha) Just curious – any chance of adding your top 5 favorite blondie recipes to the list? I am having a craving…. :)

Stephanie May 13, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I love lists like this! Very cool, thanks for sharing! :)

DPLK May 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Hi Anna, I’ll chime in with everyone and say that you have a great list going there. I’m probably way too indecisive to make such a list, and to be honest, I haven’t baked enough different recipes in as many categories as you so as to make favorite lists for some of them!

I have a nomination for your 10th chocolate chip cookie recipe to put on the list: if you like Alexis Stewart’s cookies, try the Tate’s Bake Shop choco chip cookies. I’ve bought their packaged cookies when I went to NYC recently, and I’ve made the recipe myself several times… I make my dough balls too big for it to be thin and crispy like they’re supposed to be, but the buttery brown sugar flavor is just as good chewy as it is crispy. Love them. My friends said they were the best CC cookies I’d ever made…until the Cooks Illustrated Perfect CC cookie came along…haha.

Anna May 13, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for the tip! I guess this is the recipe.

How many grams of flour do you use? I’m starting to hate American volume measurements because I never know if the 2 cups of flour is 9 oz or 10.5 oz. That extra flour makes a big difference.

Karen May 14, 2009 at 9:56 am

Hi Anna, I am really loving this list and plan to bake several from it over the next couple of weeks. But I hope the old top ten lists will still be archived for reference? I often would take a look back at them for inspiration. Thanks.

Ashley May 14, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Oh my! Bookmarking this page. What an awesome list!

joanna May 16, 2009 at 9:03 am

Anna, I was so happy you posted these!! I had to bake cookies to send to Iraq a few days ago and these saved my life. I made the Smores cookies and the Flourless Peanut Butter cookies. Both were very good!!

Michelle May 19, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Anna,
I love this list! Thanks for taking the time to compile it. I was super surprised not to see my favorite p.b. cookie recipe on your list, cause I was just sure it was one of the first recipes I ever tried from your blog. So I searched through all of your p.b. recipes and finally found the post:
looks like you made them on a bad day! I highly suggest you try them again. I made them after seeing them on your blog and on Smitten Kitchen
and they are absolutely my favorite. They just melt in your mouth. I don’t make them with peanuts or with chunky p.b. I recommend just doing the creamy. I usually use my favorite, Jif. Anyways, I hope you’ll try making them again as I think they are incredible and so does everyone I make them for!

Anna May 20, 2009 at 6:18 am

Michelle, I’ll try them again. I thought they were good, but they didn’t make my top 5 because I liked the others (listed above) more. Maybe Peanut Butter needs to be a Top 10 category.

CindyD May 21, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Just got home from our marathon trip and went back to see what I’d missed in your blog. I’m very flattered to find my favorite cookies on your favorites list! Thanks!

Anna May 21, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Cindy, I like your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies a lot. In fact, I made a small batch today because I’m testing a bunch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie back to back. I’ll post results as they come.

rebekah (clarity in creation.) May 28, 2010 at 1:33 pm

for your blondies, have you tried smitten kitchen’s? they are SEX.
-rebekah