A Goop Cookie

I like chocolate chip cookies just the way they are, but today I was in a chocolate cherry state of mind and decided to try something new. Don’t ask me why, but I think these cookies are a little different. Maybe it’s because they don’t use as much butter as normal chocolate chip cookies. They’re a lot fatter and the dough is not too rich, so it makes an excellent base for loads of pecans, expensive chocolate and dried cherries.

About the dried cherries, my favorite ones are the kind they sell at Williams Sonoma but I haven’t seen them for the longest time so I bought some tart dried cherries at Central Market. The tart ones are my favorite.

As for the chocolate, this is the kind of recipe where I feel some pressure to use only the best, so I used a brand called “Dolfin” which had been recommended to me years ago but which I could never find until today. But Dolfin is pretty uptown and I didn’t want to go to extremes so for the other half, I just used Ghirardelli bittersweet chips. In all honesty, they were both equally good.

Katie Lee Joel’s Dark Chocolate Chunk and Dried Cherry Cookies from Goop

goop-cookies

Comments

1. C L says

This looks delicious and a trifle decadent, but oh these are going in my “must bake” file.

Just wondering…Do you think this recipe would work as well using dried apricots? My husband is putting some of our homegrown apricots into the dehydrator this weekend. I will definitely make these using the cherries first, though. :)

ughhhh chocolate-cherry is my favorite flavor combination. The only thing that could make it better are some almonds… although I don’t know how those would be in cookies. Maybe some highly food-processed almonds.
    yum.

C, I’d throw a few dried apricots into a tiny portion of the dough to test. They’d probably be good, but you might as well test. Apricots are usually good with white chocolate chips.

Katrina, they’re worth making.

Emily, you could use chocolate with roasted almonds already in it. But I think coarsely chopped roasted almonds would be great.

4. teresa says

I’ve had very good luck making chocolate chip cookies with dried tart cherries (I get mine at Trader Joe’s) and slivered almonds. I toast the almonds slightly before using them to bring out the flavor.

Fat chocolate chip cookies with cherries. My mom would love these. Will try to make them for her next time we are together.

6. Susan says

I think I will try these tonight – but with bittersweet chips & dried cranberries instead.

7. Susan says

Coming back to say I made these last night and I am in love. Soft even the next day, puffy, not too sweet – just about perfect.

I made the other “Goop” recipe, for Tate’s chocolate chip cookies, and mine came out really thin but oddly soft. They actually made me think of a Dave Lebovitz recipe for cookies to make into ice cream sandwiches (the thinness and softness makes them easier to bite into without ice cream squishing out the sides). They worked really, really well for that purpose. I’m not sure what I did wrong though, if it was too humid for them to get crisp, or if I mismeasured something. (I do weigh my flour and sugar)
    They do seem to have slightly more “wet” ingredients to dry ones, such as 2 sticks of butter, 2 whole eggs and only 2 cups of flour (it seems most ccc recipes have 2 1/4 cups)