Oatmeal Walnut Cookies with Maple Glaze

by on June 9, 2009 · 15 comments

I’m obsessed with Anguilla today. Has anyone been? That has nothing to do with today’s cookie, but I am in the process of collecting as much information as possible on the subject. I’ll probably collect information for about a year so there’s plenty of time.

Now on to business. Here’s today’s cookie recipe. These are very good – not too sweet without the glaze, but on the sweet side of “good” with it. I wanted my cookies to be puffier so I used bleached all purpose flour (as opposed to unbleached) which in my experience seems to make cookies and cakes rise more. If you use unbleached, you’ll get a great cookies but they might be slightly flatter.

maple-oat-cookies

Oatmeal-Walnut Cookies with Maple Glaze

Cookies
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (114 grams)
1/4 cup maple syrup (60 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (96 grams)
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (160 grams)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (202 grams)
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (240 grams)
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans

Maple Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
4 to 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Pinch of salt
tiny bit of maple flavoring (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the butter, syrup, and both sugars with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and beat on medium just until combined. Stir in the soda and salt, scraping sides of bowl well, then stir the flour in by hand. Stir in the oats, cranberries and nuts. At this point, you can chill the dough or move directly to baking.

Shape dough into balls a little larger than a golf ball. Arrange on parchment lined cookie sheets spacing 2 ½ inches apart and bake on center rack for 10-15 minutes or until cookies appear brown around the edges.

Let cool on a wire rack. Whisk or beat together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cookies.

Makes about 3 ½ dozen

Published on June 9, 2009

Katrina June 9, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Ooh, they look good. I was hankerin’ for oatmeal cookies today and flipped through one of my books–it’s ALL oatmeal cookies, but didn’t find anything I wanted, so I went with peanut butter. Yum to these. I like the Caribbean twist!

Carole Resnick June 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm

In the market place in Barbados one of the seands, I forget which one, sells a set of 5 Caribbean flavors.

Jessica June 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Oh man, these look amazing! Thanks for sharing! =]

Karen June 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Help, I almost finished making these with Lyle’s syrup in place of the maple syrup and realized I only have 1 1/2 cups oatmeal. I don’t want to drag the kids to the store. Is there any way to salvage these?

Anna June 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Hi Karen,

I think adding spooned and swept (don’t pack the flour) 1 cup of flour would do the trick.

Don’t scoop it into the cup, but rather fluff up the flour, spoon it into the cup and level it off.

Anna June 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Just had another idea.

If you’ve made all the batter but haven’t put the oats in, just divide what you’ve made in half, set half aside until you can get more oats, and add the 1 1/2 cups to the other portion.

Karen June 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Anna,
I will try the extra flour. I thought of dividing the dough after I already added what I had.

Jenna June 9, 2009 at 6:29 pm

These look fantastic- I love using maple syrup in my baking!

Janice June 9, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Anna,
We got married on the beach (Rendezvous Bay) on Anguilla. I’ve been there probably about 8 times…LOVE IT!!!! I spend a month every year in the Caribbean and Anguilla remains my personal favourite.
BTW, when we first went to Anguilla the travel agent swore it didn’t exist and then went on to say it must be one of those “new” Caribbean islands…LOL.
After all these years the name rings a much more familiar bell~but back in the day……
Bob and Melinda have written these 2 books:
Janice
Mail me if you have any questions

Anna June 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Janice, thanks for the book link! I will email you with some questions.

HeartofGlass June 10, 2009 at 6:08 am

Ooh–I used to be obsessed with the maple oat nut scone at Starbucks–this looks even better!

For maple, I like the ‘homey’ quality of just the walnuts. For a tropical version, however, I can see dried pineapple working….

Emily June 10, 2009 at 10:24 am

I honeymooned in Anguilla 6 years ago. It is absolutely beautiful. We stayed at Cap Jaluca which was amazing. Ate fabulous food too..loved Blanchard’s! The island is very secluded and quiet. In fact, we were there for a week and would have liked to have a little more to do. However, there are several islands close by. All in all perfect trip!

Jennifer June 10, 2009 at 10:55 am

These look wonderful! I love oatmeal and walnuts ^.^ I’ll be sure to make these soon! Thanks for the great posts.

Martha June 13, 2009 at 10:28 am

Anguilla is on my list of must visit places and now these cookies are on my growing list of must try cookie recipes. I first learned about anguilla in the Blanchard’s cookbook – At Blanchard’s Table: A Trip to the Beach.

It sounds like such a wonderful place. Have you been to the wesite, http://www.anguilla-beaches.com? It’s a wealth of information.

However, as a New England girl at heart, your posted version of this cookie with cranberries and maple syrup sounds most appealing to me.

Katherine June 14, 2009 at 7:37 pm

These were a hit! I made them for a friend that is due to give birth in 2 weeks. For a cookie – these seemed wholesome with the oatmeal and walnuts – so they fit the bill for my friend. She loved them. Thanks for another great recipe Anna!