Seven Layer Bars Made with Animal Crackers

by on June 11, 2009 · 28 comments

As promised, here’s the recipe from this morning. I’d intended to make regular Seven Layer Bars, but I felt kind of low in calcium so I replaced the usual graham crackers with Barnum’s animal crackers.

seven-layer-bars

Okay, so I’m still probably going to need Boniva in a few years, but the animal cracker crust was pretty darn good. Seven layer bars are the best, aren’t they? Perfect for when you want something homemade but don’t feel like *really* baking.

To cut them neatly, I like to chill them or freeze them then cut with a chef’s knife.

Animal Cracker Seven Layer Bars

1 3/4 cups animal cracker crumbs (or just use graham crackers)
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup white chips
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 (14 oz) can condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a glass pan, use 325 degrees F. I like to use a 13×9 inch metal pan lined with foil or parchment. If using foil, it’s a good idea to grease the sides.

Mix together crumbs and melted butter; press into bottom of pan.

Mix all the chips, coconut and nuts together in another bowl and sprinkle all but about ½ cup of the mixture over the crust. Drizzle the condensed milk over top. Sprinkle remaining chip mixture over top and press down firmly with back of a greased spatula or a sheet of parchment.

Bake on center rack for about 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Lift from pan, trim edges, and cut into bars. Makes about 32 bars

Published on June 11, 2009

Claire June 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Wow…these are 7-layer bars “kicked up a notch!” I’m going to have to try them…with all the different flavors of chips they sound amazing!

Louise June 11, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Your 7 Layer Bars look good. The ones I usually see here have a goopy layer of condensed milk that puts me off.

Patti June 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Hey it says right on the package “good source of calcium” so no worries, right?

VeggieGirl June 11, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Love the use of the animal crackers!!

Katrina June 11, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Fun yumminess!

Mrs. L June 11, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I love that these were made with Animal Crackers. I’d of course have to buy double the amount because I couldn’t use the ones that weren’t “full” animals…those broken ones would have to get eaten so they didn’t go to waste.

dawn June 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I love 7-layer bars and 7-layer dip.
I must try this recipe using the animal crackers

snooky doodle June 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

oh I m drooling!

Kay June 11, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I oughta try that sometime! Usually around my house, it’s more like I’d get in the mood for these bars, be out of graham crackers, stare in the cupboards for a substitute, and find the animal crackers, instead of deciding to do it on purpose. ;) Anyway, I love 7-layer bars! Gotta make them again soon!

Kerstin June 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

7 layer bars are the best! I like your animal cracker crust too :)

janet June 11, 2009 at 3:12 pm

How cool to use animal crackers in lieu of grahams! Thank you, they look delicious…I could eat them right off the screen;-)

Denise June 11, 2009 at 4:26 pm

What a great way to use animal crackers up. They look yummy

Emily L. June 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm

wouldn’t it be cool if you cut them into animal shapes! Next time.

Shoshana June 11, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I love the addition of peanut butter chips! It makes them even more decadent with very little work!

HeartofGlass June 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

ATK did a lemon cheesecake with an animal cracker crust, but this looks even better–I loved animal crackers as a kid. I probably couldn’t bear to break them all up if I made these and would have to leave some of them whole.

Lifting lions will keep your bones strong!

JohnGL June 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Anna, these are worth the animal (cookie) sacrifice! I,too, am drooling.

Steph June 11, 2009 at 6:44 pm

OMG!! Those look very yummy and addicting!

Emily June 11, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Gah! I saw huge bags of animal crackers at the dollar store today and didn’t buy any! I’m so mad at myself. These look great.

C L June 11, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Love this idea! Animal crackers would probably make the bars a teeny bit less sweet but oh so delicious. :) Must put these on my “must make” list (which is getting longer every day). LOL ;)

KAnn June 11, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Oh, 7 Layer Bars are so good, aren’t they?! I have mixed a little cinnamon in the crust which is good, too.

Jessica June 11, 2009 at 11:32 pm

What a fun idea! I wonder what other cookies/ pies one could incorporate animal crackers into…

Jen June 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

Jessica – Cooks Illustrated had a recipe a few years back for key lime bars that used animal crackers in the crust. They were great! These look good, too, but I can never keep animal crackers around long enough to use them in baked goods. I think they are my favorite cookie!

hulagirl247 June 12, 2009 at 10:54 am

hi anna!

you must have received a psychic message from me last night – i made my version of these (mine are slightly different than yours) and wondered if they would ever make the cookie madness post of the day!

i’m at work so i can’t give you the differences measurement-wise between your recipe & mine – but my end result looks twice as thick as yours.

glad to see this old stand-by made the hit parade!

have a terriffic weekend!

~hula~

Anna June 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

That’s so funny that CI used animal crackers in the crust. Had I known that, I wouldn’t have crossed my fingers when I put the bars in the oven! In the end, the crust was almost better than graham crackers.

janet June 14, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I’m sold….I bought animal crackers to make these this next week! They look soooo good. Thanks, Anna!

Jasmine June 15, 2009 at 11:37 am

I made these yesterday with my extra box of animal crackers! i was a bit short so i added corn flakes too..turned out GREAT. i didn’t have the nuts either but they were amazing! the 2nd day especially..unfortunitly very few make it to the 2nd day : )

Jenney Marie August 6, 2009 at 9:08 am

I am sooooo excited to try this out! I was eating some Barnum Animal Crackers today and desided to look up recipes using them. I was thinking of how good they would be as a cust or something. (Side note: I use Nilla Wafer crust for pumpkin pie- it is AMAZING!!!!) I found your site and this recipe, I will be making these soon!!!! lol. Thanks so much. I love the site and look forward to finding more recipes.

Lily September 7, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I’m going to try these! And uh, it will have many substiutes!