Chips ‘n’ Nut Drops

by on July 20, 2009 · 15 comments

Today’s recipe was adapted from page 302 of the KA Cookie Companion where the intro says you’ll want to make an extra batch to have on hand or freeze “when guests pop in” or “your teenagers decide late at night that they have to have some cookies”. I guess the point is it’s a casual cookie.

These were okay, but the dough was kind of dry. It makes a good base for adding all sorts of chips, though….and M&Ms if you have some. My advice is, these are worth a try but only if you have lots of half bags of of chips to use up and if you like thick, not-too-buttery cookies. It’s possible I could have over-baked mine, so I’m curious to hear from anyone else who’s made these or plans on doing so. I probably did something wrong, but it didn’t stop me from eating the cookies anyway. I guess I’ll freeze the rest in case unexpected teenagers pop in at night.

chip-nut-cookies

Chips ‘n’ Nut Drops

4 oz unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (4 oz) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups roll oats, ground in the food processor after measuring
1 cup (4.2 oz) all purpose flour – fluff and measure with a very light hand if no scale
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (scant) – KA didn’t use salt.
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup white chips or 2 oz grated white chocolate (I Omitted, but probably should have used)
3/4 cups chopped walnuts ( used roasted peanuts & peanut M&Ms)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper

Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Stir together the ground oats, flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir the oat mixture into the butter mixture until almost incorporated, then stir in the peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, white chips and nuts until batter is mixed.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set and just appear brown (recipe says bake 7 minutes, but mine still seemed doughy at that point).

Makes a little over 2 dozen

Published on July 20, 2009

Katrina July 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Way funny about saving some in the freezer for unexpected teenagers! ;)

I have a lot of half used bags of chips and things, but I’m not sure mint would go with peanut butter! ;)

Megan July 20, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I guess you’re right – those are the kind of cookie to throw in whatever leftover bits of “stuff” you have laying around.

But can I make them even if I don’t have leftover stuff to throw in? :)

joan July 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm

The base of this recipe looks almost exactly like what I call my “default” chocolate chip cookie recipe, which is based on that urban legend of the $250 cookie. You must know that story….a woman goes to Neiman Marcus and has a delicious cookie @ the cafe, and asks for the recipe. The waiter tell her that the recipe costs “two-fifty.” The woman thinks he means $2.50, and says OK. When she gets her credit card statement, she finds that she was billed $250.00. She’s so mad that she spreads the “secret” recipe all over the internet. Anyway, the only difference in the KA recipe and the recipe that I use is that there is slightly less oatmeal in my recipe. I measure a cup (3.5 oz) of regular rolled oats (instead of 1 1/4 cup in your recipe), and then, grind it in the processor. I also don’t usually add the grated Hershey bar that is called for in the Neiman Marcus cookie. I don’t think it adds that much, and it makes for an extra step. I roll the cookie dough into balls & bake. I like the idea of all the different chips. I got some peanut butter M&Ms today and will try those for part of the add-ins.

Tanis July 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Anna, Did you ever do a Boston Cream Pie Category and test all of those recipes? I would be interested in your follow up on that.

Anna July 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Hi Joan,

I took a look at the fake NM recipe. When you scale it down to the same yield as the recipe above, it’s almost identical. Good catch. I never loved the fake NM recipe so this explains a lot.

1/2 cup butter
1 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine
powder.)
6 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 – 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cups chopped nuts (your choice, but we liked pecans best)

Anna July 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Hi Tanis,

I wish I had the time and the resources to test Boston cream pies consecutively, but it’s going to be a slow process. I really liked Shirley Corriher’s, though. The filling was especially good. You can find it with a Google search or in her book, Bakewise. I linked to it at one point, but am not sure the article is still there.

Rosemary July 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I am going to make a batch of these to send to my son at boarding school – the boys will love it!

johngl July 21, 2009 at 6:12 am

I’m going to make a batch of these and send them to the Board – the boys will love it!

sherri July 21, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Scrumptious!

Maura July 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm

A question for a enthusiastic, learning baker.

So many recipes and variations lead me to ask, why wouldnt a person have a go-to cookie dough–ie, one that yields buttery soft with crisp edges, one that is mosit, dense, sweet, one that is oats, one that is…and then simply apply it with the different little goodies like different chocolates, cany pieces, dried fruits.

Do I make sense with my question? Probaly not LOL sorry. But my inexperienced logic sez a experienced baker has a few different top notch cookie doughs with top notch textures and tastes that simply get altered by different highlight ingredients.

Love the blog! Thanks for helping to set me straight!

Anna July 21, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hi Maura,

That’s a good question, and I think that’s what normal, healthy, balanced people do. They find a go-to cookie dough recipe and stick with…adding little adjustments here and there and leading full lives that involve all kinds of things other than cookies and baking. I’ll bet they have perfectly decorated houses and important jobs. Maybe some of these people are successful pastry chefs who make tons of money off the same well-loved recipe. I wish I was like that, but instead I’m this crazy person who feels compelled to try all sorts of different ways of making cookies and probably doing other things too.

My attempt at normality was to build the “All-Time Favorite Cookie” category in the hope that one day I could tear down this stupid blog and just use those recipes over and over. But alas….I am still here plugging away doing the same thing over and over in a scatted, non-methodical, frazzled house-wife sort of way. But hey, at least you got some entertainment ;).

Louise July 21, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Anna, I’m with you.
Maura, I bake lots of cookies too and have probably fifty cookbooks just of cookies. I’ve played around with many of them. If there were some basic recipes that with a few additions of nuts, spices, chocolate, etc. would give you every taste imaginable, it would have been found by now. And it would take all the fun out of it.

Maura July 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Anna and Louis, and sorry–I wasnt looking for entertainment. I am in wow of this blog and all it offers.

It was just a question that nawed at me so I thought I would ask. And trust me, Im not one who alphabitizes their can goods or has it all together by any stretch!!!!

Anna July 21, 2009 at 2:51 pm

No need for apologies, Maura! And thanks for the nice words. I guess I’m just a little sensitive to that question because it’s one I ask myself “Why do I collect cookie recipes? Why cant I be more interested in non-dessert recipes? Why don’t I go to sommelier school or get into interior design or fashion or photography? When am I going to take drum lessons?”

Some part of me thinks that if I settled on one or even 5 “best of” cookie recipes I could move on.

KiKi July 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm