Deep Dark Brownies — The Baked NYC Recipe

by on July 22, 2009 · 16 comments

I’d planned on making the Reine de Saba from Bon Appetit, but now I’m kind of in the mood for these — Oprah’s Favorite Brownies from Baked NYC.

Published on July 22, 2009

Katrina July 22, 2009 at 8:02 am

I thought you’ve made these before? (Not that you can’t make them again). I’m pretty sure Megan’s Brownie Project has the Baked ones on it. I’m too lazy to go look and see what she had to say. Vaugely seems like she had some issues. I could be making the whole thing up. I’m tired.

jk

I saw the Baked brownies in a magazine at the dentists office months back and they look good–hey, it was in O Magazine.

Louise July 22, 2009 at 8:17 am

Far easier than the Julia Child recipe.

Lisa Ernst July 22, 2009 at 9:16 am

They look interesting. I need to bake brownies Friday, but haven’t yet tried the highly recommended KA brownies.

Deanna July 22, 2009 at 10:40 am

I LOVE these brownies! I also love everything if baked from their recently published cookbook.

Megan July 22, 2009 at 10:42 am

I liked the deep dark brownies that Matt Lewis made for Martha Stewart – those were great. They’re on her site, or the Brownie Project if you’re interested. Definitely worth a try.

Gayle July 22, 2009 at 12:03 pm

The “Baked” brownies are delicious. Highly recommend them.

Cynthia July 22, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I just made these last week for a work retreat and they were awesome! I can’t say enough good things about this recipe.

Megan July 22, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Anna-I’m making brownies for a cookout this weekend. If you could make only one of your many, which would you suggest?

Janice July 22, 2009 at 4:11 pm

This is my newest fav. brownie!

YUM;-)

Jane July 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Definitely go with the Baked brownie! I have never been so excited about a brownie recipe! Sadly, it’s the only recipe that I like so far from the Baked cookbook – so I guess I have to make them A LOT to make up for the $20 I spent on the book!

If I recall correctly, Megan at The Brownie Project didn’t have much luck with these…

Anna July 22, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Megan, any of the ones from the All-Time Favorites List would work, but since it’s a party I’d go with the Oreo brownies

Anna July 22, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I decided togo with the Reine de Saba. Review to come….

Tanis July 22, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Anna, I am new to this site. Is this your site? Do you bake everyday? Very curious, there is SO MUCH info on this site for one person to be managing…is it only you? Do you just review new recipes or is this a pure hobby?
Back to the Boston Cream Pie…I tried the one you mentioned (last year) from Joy of cooking. It was pretty good, but the pastry cream wanted to come out the sides so I put the cake layers in a pie plate and assembled it to hold it all together. It was good.

bakingblonde July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I have that book but haven’t tried a single recipe yet. I really need to!

Anna July 22, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Hi Tanis,

Yes, this is my site. It’s just a hobby and I do all the baking myself. The information is just the cumulative result of constantly baking, reading, experimenting and updating information. One of these days I’m going to re-organize things here, but right now I’m busy with day to day life “stuff”.

Sounds like you did the right thing with the Joy of Cooking pastry cream. It’s kind of runny. If you get a chance, try Shirley Corriher’s.

Baking Blonde! Hi! I can’t believe you don’t have “Baked” yet. The recipes are great, but Matt & Renato’s dedication to their business and the art & appreciation of baking makes it even more special. I think they’re working on a second book.

JB July 23, 2009 at 6:44 am

Saw your recipe yesterday made these last night after work, did not care for them too much, not choclately enough for me and I even added for cocoa than recipe called for. DH is eating them though!