Diner Recipes!

by on July 4, 2009 · 9 comments

Good Morning and Happy Fourth of July!

We’re still in CT where there are lots of diners. In fact, the Road Food directory lists 120, if of them in CT and only 55 in Texas. I read somewhere that the Sterns live in CT so maybe that’s why, but still — there seem to be a lot of diners here and I’m guessing if I visited every single one I’d find some really interesting desserts.

But most likely I will NOT be traveling the country eating diner food, so I’ll have to live vicariously through the Road Food people. They’ve started a recipe database with a little history for each recipe, the name of the diner it came from, and a photograph of the dish. I went straight to the dessert section and while there were no cookie recipes, there were some fun cakes, pies and bread puddings. This is definitely worth a bookmark right now and I hope they add more to the collection.

Good Pie Crust from The Dutch Kitchen

Whoopie Pie Cake from Becky’s Diner

Peanut Satin Pie from The Cottage in La Jolla

Blue Ribbon Yeast Rolls

Published on July 4, 2009

MaryEllen July 4, 2009 at 7:52 am

Welcome to the Nutmeg State! I love your blog … please post more photos of your cute little dog! Thanks.

Pearl July 4, 2009 at 9:09 am

i LOVE the food from the cottage in la jolla. it’s not a very dineresque place, since it’s by the ocean, but it has delicious salads, sandwiches and other meals.

Katrina July 4, 2009 at 10:41 am

The Whoopie Pie cake looks good. It reminds me of Dorie’s cover cake, Devil’s Food White Out cake, which was good. Although the frostings are quite different.

Have a celebratin’ day!

Alton July 4, 2009 at 11:47 am

The picture of the pie crust looks like it has sugar sprinkled over it.
I have a recipe for icing that is almost like the Whoopie Cake icing that I sometimes use for decorating. It is really delicious and is easy to use with the tips.

Lisa July 6, 2009 at 12:00 am

I think it’s awesome that even while away for the 4th weekend, you found a way to supply us with some great recipes! Thy sound wonderful, and I’m bookmarking them, pronto!

Marcia July 6, 2009 at 8:03 am

The whoopie pie cake is definitely worth making. Becky’s Diner is about a quarter-mile from my office and EVERYTHING there is delicious. :) My only suggestion is to add a generous dollop of Marshmallow Fluff to the icing, to give it the taste of a true Maine whoopie pie!!

Kathie July 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I made the crab cakes tonight…good recipe…thanks for the link!

Kathie November 25, 2009 at 5:05 pm

The FLLAC Middle School Bakers, who are your devoted fans, tried out the Peanut Butter Pie from the Blue Willow Inn on the High School Teachers and it was a huge hit! So yesterday, all of the bakers made a pie for their families for Thanksgiving.

Anna November 25, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Kathie, say hi to all my middle school friends ;).

I’m a little jealous that they made peanut butter pie. I love it, but I’m the only person in the family who really likes peanut butter.