Oatmeal Cookie Guy’s Compost Cookie Spin-Off Etc.

by on July 9, 2009 · 9 comments

Good Morning!

We’re back, and thanks to the super pet/house sitting skills of our friend Krista, the animals are fat and happy. I also owe a batch of cookies to the kids across the street who helped play with Lizzie while Krista went to do other babysitting jobs. Unfortunately, I’m out of butter and can’t run to the kitchen to bake.

Anyhow, last night I received a few comments telling me about Oatmeal Cookie Guy’s Compost Copy Cat. Mainly, comments suggesting I try it.

As a matter of fact, I tried it back in April and reviewed it. Here’s a link to the commentary. OCG’s (I like calling him OCG…it sounds sort of gangster) cookies were very good, but being that he is “Oatmeal Cookie Guy” he used a higher proportion of oats. At least it seemed like it. The cookie I tried day before yesterday didn’t taste quite so oaty, but other than that and the Fritos, I think he got the flavors right.

I’m concerned that the compost cookie might be difficult to duplicate at home due to differences in commercial ovens and home ovens, but that won’t stop me from trying.

Published on July 9, 2009

bookwoman July 9, 2009 at 7:47 am

Hi Anna–
Glad you’re home. Looking forward to an NYC “tips” post; I’m taking my daughter (12 years old) in a few weeks. For her, this will be a Top Chef pilgrimage. For me, it’ll be the list of bakeries I’ve been accumulating for the last few years :-)
Thanks!
Lisa Rosen

Katrina July 9, 2009 at 8:39 am

I just posted this on your last post and meant to do it here–

What a fun cookie with endless possibilities. Just throw it all in there. Next time I have any “leftover” cookie or pie or cake or the bottom of the bag of chips, etc. that need used up, I’m throwing them in another cookie.
I like calling Oatmeal Cookie Guy OCG as well. Except that sometimes I think of OCG as obsessive compulsive guy. ha

Sue July 9, 2009 at 9:03 am

My first thought when I finished reading your post this morning was “Go, Anna”!! It will be fun to read about what you come up with.

Then I realized that’s totally selfish, and you at least deserve a “Welcome Home Anna!!!”. No doubt you need a breather to get unpacked, unwound, and a few loads of laundry done.

Happy Baking!

Louise July 9, 2009 at 9:45 am

Welcome home. Seems we both got back on the same day. Maybe OCG’s version needs a little less oats and a little more coffee grounds. :-) Don’t know why, but I think of OCG as Orange County Guy.

Oatmeal Cookie Guy July 9, 2009 at 10:33 am

Hi, Anna. So you got to Momofuku! You can call me OCG any time. :-)

Carole Resnick July 9, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Welcome Home, Ginsberg family. I enjoyed your vacation posts and look forward to your new posts and recipes.

Jennifer July 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Welcome home. Thanks for the photo posts and updates. You are so kind, especially since no one would blame you for your vacation being blog posting-free.

sweetie July 10, 2009 at 5:06 am

welcome home! great posts on these cookies. looks like you had an awesome time in nyc.

i’m afraid the composts might fall into category of too many processed ingredients for me to give a go!

Laura July 12, 2009 at 10:10 am

Wow Anna, those cookies are fascinating–scary ingredient-wise, but fascinating. I love the idea of coffee grounds and salty stuff in the cookie–they sound addictive.