Blogher Food Conference 2009

by on September 27, 2009 · 15 comments

Hello from sunny and surprisingly warm San Francisco, where I spent most of yesterday at the St. Regis meeting other bloggers and attending panels on ways to be a better food blogger. It was a lot to take in and there were points where I felt overwhelmed, undereducated and underaccessorized.  But the point that finally hit home was just how many food blogs there are now and how much the landscape has changed — not just on the Internet but in print media as well.  I used to feel like I had to keep on top of everything in the food world, now I realize that’s completely impossible.  There’s also some guilt in that after blogging for over 3 years, I haven’t evolved that much as a blogger, so I have to remind myself that it’s all about the baking and stick to what I like.

The be”happy points”  of the trip were meeting some of my blogworld friends — Just Jenn, The Food Librarian , Kristen from Dine and Dish, and of course, Katrina, who is new to the blogging world but whose passion for baking and trying new things in the kitchen shines through on Baking and Boys.

Katrina

Katrina

Nicole from Baking Bites was there too, and I got a sneak preview of the Baking Bites Cookbook. Not only is it pretty, it’s packed with creative recipes she’s been saving up. Release date is in October, but she’s taking pre-orders.

And then there was  the front row view of Elizabeth Falkner from Citizen Cake, who was there to help Scharffen Berger and Tutti Foodie promote the next Chocolate Adventure Contest.

Elizabeth was making an odd concoction of pretzels, spices, marshmallow and peanut butter, which people ate by putting on a rubber glove and scooping it out of a bag. Pretty, huh? Not really.  But I think that’s what the appeal is.  I eloped, but if this dessert had been around 10 years ago,  I would have held a wedding just so I could serve it. It’s funny watching people eat it straight out of their gloved hand.

Chocolate Adventure Experiment

Chocolate Adventure Experiment

Elizabeth Falkner

Elizabeth Falkner

Confession.  I didn’t try it for fear I’d get it all over my face and in my eyebrows. I wish I’d saved some for breakfast so I could eat it with my coffee in the privacy of my hotel room.

All in all it was fun and I’m looking forward to today’s visit to Tartine and the Ferry Building. Hopefully, I’ll get some better pictures.

Published on September 27, 2009

VeggieGirl September 27, 2009 at 1:23 pm

So glad that you had fun!

Nicole September 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Great recap of the event, Anna! The Chocolate Experiment was good – although, pretty darn rich. Even though there were a lot different elements, I still couldn’t eat all of the portion I scooped out. Meeting Elizabeth Faulkner was great, though, and of course it was good to see you, too!!

BigSis September 27, 2009 at 3:51 pm

It sounds like you all had fun. It was a blast to read all of the tweets. So, how’d you like the frozen pasta lunch?

Tracy September 27, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Elizabeth Faulkner — cool! Not sure about the idea of eating out of the plastic glove, though.
Glad you had fun.

HeartofGlass September 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm

As a newbie blogger, I’d love to hear what you learned when you get a chance!

I’m so glad you and Katrina had a chance to meet–I follow both of your blogs. I’m surprised several chocolate chip cookies didn’t explode spontaneously, to celebrate the occasion!

food librarian September 27, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Anna, It was great to meet you too! Yes, that dessert…not so pretty but looks delicious! – mary the food librarian

cookienurse September 27, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Hi Anna,
Even though you felt undereducated and underaccessorized, you give so much to your readers, every day. It is not easy to do and I admire your dedication and passion for what you do. Your site is still one of my favorites, I think with all of your knowledge and experience, you could do a cookbook as well!

Katrina September 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Boy, look at me! Big picture. Hmm, I’ll have to make sure the picture I post of you is a lovely one, too, Anna! ;)
HeartofGlass, we did the bakery rounds today and got the ccc’s after Anna’s post!

justJENN September 28, 2009 at 1:37 am

It was great to see you, we have to hang out longer next time. You were perfectly prepared!

Leslie September 28, 2009 at 11:11 am

Hope you are enjoying San Francisco! I live in town (right near the crooked part of Lombard Street, in fact) and it is a great place. If you are in North Beach, you should check out a store called I Dream of Cake at Grant & Green, run by a friend of mine. The most beautiful cakes you will ever see in your life – that is what dual degrees from culinary school and art school (plus a whole lot of talent that can’t be taught) will get you!

Dolce September 28, 2009 at 12:27 pm

You ladies seem to have a great time at the blogger conference in SF… Thank you for keeping us in the loop!

LilSis September 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm

That looks like a great time!!! Maybe one day BigSis and I will have our Food Blog up and running and we can join you!

Lisa Ernst September 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm

This was fun to read, and to also read Katrina’s report. My two favorite baking bloggers.

bakingblonde September 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Sounds great go me! Do I bring my own glove to eat with or will it be provided? haha

Amanda October 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Katrina my bud! :)

I’m so jealous :( POUT I didn’t get to go. SIGH I’ll have to live vicariously through everyone else!