Golden Eggs

by on September 13, 2009 · 8 comments

Today’s recipe is from Gesine Bullock-Prado’s book Confections of a Closet Master Baker. It’s a yellow cake so light people might mistake it for a donut – especially if you use fresh nutmeg.

golden eggs 1

Gesine named these “Golden Eggs” because she bakes the batter in egg shaped molds, but if you don’t have those, you can bake them in a muffin tin like the one above or in a mini Bundt like the one below.

golden eggs 2

My personal preference was the batch made in the muffin tins.

Gesine has the recipe on her blog along with demo showing how to make the little cakes plus a few variations. She also reminds everyone that she uses a convection oven and follows a general rule of thumb – for a convection oven, use 325 and for a regular oven convert to 350. So even though the recipe on screen says 325, use 350.

FYI. If you use muffin tins, half a batch of batter should give you about 16 muffins. I filled the tins a little less than halfway full and the batter rose to the top.

RECIPE HERE

Published on September 13, 2009

Arlene September 13, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I have watched her demo, but Have looked all over for the written recipe. Did you have to watch the video, and manually write the ingred/instructions down? Or could you direct me to it online somewhere?

Anna September 13, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Hi Arlene,

I have the book, so I just copied it from there. If you don’t the book, just copy it from the video.

Katrina September 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Ooh, I have a couple kidlets who would really like those if they are like a light airy donut! They look tasty!

HeartofGlass September 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I can’t wait to read this book! Every person I know who has read it has loved it! I alsoI just finished Bruni’s Born Round, which I really think you will love Anna. Especially the first chapters–his description of his mother’s Thanksgiving planning is worth the time investment alone. Also, his struggles with food were really inspiring to me–I’ve even started my own blog, because I felt so er, hungry, to write after reading it.

These look like a grown-up version of Tastycakes–and I mean that in a good way!

bakingblonde September 13, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Love the idea of these, i bet they would make a great base for strawberries and whipped cream!

Anna September 13, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Katrina, I know your kids don’t like cake, but if they like donuts/doughnuts than you should give these a try.

Mary, good job with the blog. Keep it up.

BB, probably so. They’re good by themselves too.

Louise September 14, 2009 at 6:32 am

They often give convection oven temperatures. That’s probably true with old convection ovens. What’s funny about it is that, by design, Bosch convection ovens are 25 degrees below the set temperature. I’ve been using an Electrolux convection oven for almost three years. It’s about 35 degrees below the set temperature. We verified it with the QA Manager at the factory and that’s where they want it.

Natanya September 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Those look like lots of fun! I think I will definately have to try them over the holidays this year. I found the recipe on the Amazon site but it took some doing. Just above the “Related Media” section of the book page (http://www.amazon.com/Confections-Closet-Master-Baker-Hollywood/dp/0767932684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252951736&sr=8-1) there’s a link to download an exceprt. The URL for the PDF of the excertp is:

The recipe on is page 12.