How to Make Olive Bread Video

by on September 9, 2009 · 15 comments

Hello There!

I was hoping to post a good totally awesome M&M cookie recipe today, but the two I tested were both “eh”. So back to the old drawing board. Since I don’t have a cookie, how about some olive bread?

This video won the Howcast “How To Video Challenge”. You’ll understand when you see the stop motion. I’m not sure how he made the flour creep across the counter like that…

How to Make Olive Bread

Published on September 9, 2009

Katrina September 9, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Oh my gosh, that video was so cute and fun. It reminded me of claymation, but you’re right, how didi they make all that flour and such scoot across the counter?! Hmmm.

Yeah, let’s just stick with throwing it in a bowl with some butter and sugar and making cookies! :)

Rynda September 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I tried a new chocolate chip cookie recipe yesterday. The dough contains rolled oats, soy flour, whole wheat flour and flax seeds so is a bit more healthful than the typical recipe. I found the dough a joy to work with; whatever “denseness” the recipe indicated was not a problem at all. You certainly could add M&Ms instead of the chocolate chips or raisins.

Anna September 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Katrina, let me know when you figure out how to make flour move across the counter.

Rynda, thanks for the link to that cookie. It has a lot of stuff in it and I’ll bet it’s great.

The M&M cookie I’m looking for is thin, crackly-topped, chewy in the center and crispy on the edges. I found one recipe and it had the right texture, but it’s made with shortening so it didn’t have any butter flavor. I’m not opposed to using shortening, but I’d rather it be in combination with butter.

CindyD September 9, 2009 at 5:51 pm

The cookie you’re describing sounds like a snickerdoodle. The recipe I’ve used calls for half shortening and half butter.

Tanis September 9, 2009 at 6:48 pm

The olive loaf video was way cool!!!!! Brightened my day. Any comments on using one of those baking stones…..I think I may need to get one for bread making this winter. Any pros and cons on that issue anyone?

Good luck on finding the perfect M & M cookie recipe!

Therese B. September 10, 2009 at 9:37 am

WOW….that video is amazing! How adorable! Just how did he do that??

We have a baking stone…but we use it for baking pizza.

The bread looks amazing!!

Louise September 10, 2009 at 11:58 am

So instead of just giving us photos, we now expect animation at Cookie Madness. Maybe once a week? :-)

Joanie September 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hi, I’m new to your website! and I have to admit, I have become addicted, Anna….I have to tune in everyday to see what’s new!

I couldn’t resist commenting about the olive loaf video! So cute!! it is amazing what you can do with stop motion animation. I went to school for art and design and made a video of a teddy bear blowing up a balloon….it wasn’t anywhere near the cutest of this video though!

Can’t wait to find out what you are going to share with us next :)

Sheri September 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm
Anna September 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Cindy, yes. I agree. The M&M cookie I want will have snickerdoodle qualities. I think it will need a little brown sugar, though.

Tanis, you can find baking stones just about anywhere these days. I keep mine on the bottom shelf of my oven. I noticed that after I put the stone there, the heat started circulating more evenly. At first I thought it was my imagination, but I think the stone really might somehow be helping.

Louise, yes. Expect all further posts to be in stop motion animation.

Joanie, thanks for reading Cookie Madness! I hope to see you around ;).

Sheri, thanks for posting the apple pie one.

Chris Mower September 10, 2009 at 5:10 pm

This was creative and fun! I sent it around to some of my coworkers. I attempted a stop-motion video once with clay a few years back. It requires a lot of patience, but they’re sure fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

Chris Mower September 10, 2009 at 5:14 pm

@Tanis – I love using baking stones. The more you use it, the better seasoned it becomes, and the flavor of your breads enhance. I use mine for pizza, breads, etc. It pretty much soaks in anything you use on it, so be careful not to soak it in dish soap or anything like that.

kitty62 September 11, 2009 at 6:31 am

very, very entertaining….thank you chris and anna. love it!!

sheri September 11, 2009 at 12:27 pm
sheri September 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm

one more

Amazing how much work people are willing to put in for our entertainemnt