Jif Omega-3 With Fish Oil!

by on September 3, 2009 · 14 comments

This morning at Target, while on a mission to find caramels and a nightgown with pandas on it, I came across something even better.

jif omega 3

Can I tell you how long I’ve been waiting for this? As a non-fish eater well aware of the benefits of DHA and EPA and who has been told by doctors that fatty fish will help tone down the discomfort of a chronic eye problem, I am appreciative of and fish source other than capsules. The new Jif doesn’t have as much EPH and DHA as you’d get in one fish oil capsule, but every little bit helps and since I eat peanut butter almost every day, this is a very good thing.

peanut butter texture

Now before I posted this, I figured it would only be fair if I tasted it. It has the same smooth texture as Jif Natural, a light molasses flavor, and a strong not-too-sweet peanut flavor. The package has the logo of something called “Meg-3” which is made with anchovy and sardine oil and seems perfect for non fish eaters like myself. I Googled up more info on it and Meg-3 has a web page.

So that’s my good news for this morning. The bad news is, I couldn’t find the panda nightgown. There were a bunch of skunk nightgowns on clearance and it made me wonder if  maybe by “pandas”, the person who wanted the nightgown (Fuzz) meant “skunks” but that is highly unlikely.

Published on September 3, 2009

Sue September 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Good find!
Too bad about the nightgown, but maybe there’s something she’ll like even that hasn’t hit the shelves yet.
Right now I’m making muffins from a different recipe, and I’m making some substitutions that don’t look like they’re going to be successful. It’s not been my day today!

Sara September 3, 2009 at 12:50 pm

That PB made me happy too! And my daughter has that Panda nightgrown from Target and no, skunks probably wouldn’t do. :)

Katrina September 3, 2009 at 2:12 pm

It’s a good thing you clarified at the end of this post that the panda nightgown you were looking for was for Fuzz, because at first I thought it was for you! hehe
Happy you found a goody fishy peanut butter. I just got back from Target and saw it, too. But NO Ghirardelli cacao chips. ;( Oh well, if any normal person saw my chocolate baking cupboard, they would die. (I’m not normal, you see.)

Barbara September 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm

If your objection to capsules is the fishy taste, you might want to try these:

I get all my vitamins and supplements from them because they use no dyes and no additives. I don’t use this particular product because my vitamins have omega-3 in them.

Anna September 3, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Sue, I hope your muffins work out.

Sara, thanks for confirming that it’s not skunks. I’ll go check Target.com or see if I can convince her to get skunks. They had a bunch of new pajamas, including iCarly! I think it’s too hot here for the iCarly pajamas.

Katrina, wouldn’t it be fun to look into everyone’s pantry? Also, Target doesn’t usually sell Ghirardelli. The Target near my house sells Nestle.

Barbara, thanks! The capsule I take doesn’t taste fishy. My problem with capsules is I forget to take them.

Louise September 3, 2009 at 2:44 pm

We have skunks that visit under our bird feeders as soon as it gets dark every night. I can ship you a couple. :-) Sometimes it’s even while we are still sitting on the patio, but they have the good manners to go back into the trees until we’re done. Lucky find for you with the pb, but I’ll still have my omega-3 from salmon.

Heidi September 3, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I just can’t get the idea of fishy tasting peanut butter out of my head…

HeartfoGlass September 4, 2009 at 5:13 am

I heard a radio interview regarding this subject–supposedly, the problem is that we don’t have enough Omega 3 fats, but that we are eating too many Omega 6 fats, which compete with the Omega 3s in cellular processing, and the important thing is to have a correct fat ratio, not to just have more Omega 3s–I think Omega 6 is in many nut and seed oils, like safflower oil and corn oil, which you’re supposed to reduce or eliminate to correct your ratio if it is unbalanced. I don’t know if peanuts have Omega 6, though–if the pb has Omega 6, then adding the Omega 3s won’t do much.

However, walnuts are one of the highest natural sources of Omega 3s, so apparently brownies are prescribed for a good Omega 3 diet.

Anna September 4, 2009 at 7:43 am

Actually, the Omega 3 fatty acids found in in walnuts are not the same as the fat in fish oil. Walnuts have short chain fatty acids and ALA. And while our bodies can convert the ALA to EPA and DHA, not everyone is very efficient in doing this. So the Omega 3 your get from walntus, flax, and plant sources is very good for you, but it’s not the same as that you’d get from fish oil. The long chain fatty acids in fish oil already have EPA and DHA which the fish bodies make through the algae they eat. So to get the same EPA and DHA that’s in fish, you have to eat the fish themselves or seek out a supplement. DHA is in a lot of things these days, but EPA seems to be harder to find, though I think I’ve seen it in milk.

I’m not sure if it’s been done yet, but companies are working on ways to make these same fatty acids available through the algae itself so that vegetarians can the same benefits as people who take/eat fish oil.

About the ratio issue, we do need a ratio of Omega 6′s and Omega 3′s. Personally, I’m not worried about the Omega 6′s because a lot of foods I eat have Omega 6. But Omega 3s are a little harder to come by unless you know where to look and Omega 3 with DHA and EPA is even HARDER to come by if you don’t eat fish.

I like the idea that our bodies have adapted to the point where we’re converting all the ALA to EPA and DHA, but I’m just not sure that’s happening with everyone and am still reading articles as they come.

HeartofGlass September 4, 2009 at 8:01 am

How interesting about the walnuts–although the interview I heard, the researcher said that in the Western diet, it is almost impossible to be deficient in Omega 6 fats. She also suggested raspberries, green plants, and grass-fed meats as alternative sources of Omega 3s and was less concerned about the short versus long chain debate.

I’m still mulling it over, but in case you’re curious here is the radio interview:

And here is her article (pretty interesting, even though you sound like you could write one yourself, with your research!)

Anna September 4, 2009 at 8:10 am

Thanks! I will read it a little later and re-comment.

beth September 4, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I am so excited to hear that this does not have a fishy taste. I can usually detect the slightest bit of fish, which for whatever reason makes my skin crawl. I can’t wait to try it. By the way when we went to Victoria & Alberts, the restaurant called before our meal to ask about dietary restrictions. My husband mentioned that I don’t eat seafood. At the meal, I was presented with my own seafood free menu, with many delightful substitutions! Just thought you’d like to know.

Beth

Anna September 4, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Beth, let me know if you detect any fishy taste. I don’t. It does have a slightl bitter after taste, but it’s not really unpleasant and it may just be from the peanuts themselves.

I really want to go to Victoria & Albert’s but we have to wait until Fuzz turns 10. Maybe we’ll for her 10th birthday.

AJ September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Halleluia! I HATE fish! I LOVE peanut butter. All is right with the world.