Chocolate-Pumpkin Bundt Cake

I came home from vacation ready to bake, but there were piles of laundry and personal matters to attend to. Experimenting in the kitchen wasn’t an option, so I turned to my fresh pile of cooking magazines for inspiration. I found it in the November issue of Eating Well – Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake.

chocolate pumpkin bundt cake magazines

I had most of the ingredients on hand, at least for the first cake. Unfortunately I had to make it twice because on cake #1, I accidentally left out a cup of sugar. That’s what happens when you try to bake a cake while on the phone with your mother. Or maybe I could blame it on the fact the ingredient order is kind of strange, with granulated sugar mixed in with the flour and the brown sugar mixed in with the pumpkin. That threw me off, but in the end all was well even though it required a special trip to the grocery store for more pumpkin and pastry flour.

Fuzz and her buddy Anevay, who happened to be over for an extended play date, were crazy about this cake. Both of the girls love pumpkin, and I was really excited to see two 8 year olds so into the pumpkin-chocolate combo. The girls liked this cake better than most.

Since I thought the cake was perfect, I’ll link you directly to the original Chocolate-Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe and give you a few notes.

—My bundt cake pan is black, so as always, I reduced the cooking temperature to 325F. The cake was done in an hour. If you have a lighter colored bundt cake or one that’s heavier (mine’s kind of cheap), the cake might take longer.

—Flour-added Pam worked fine.

—I used kind of a generous ¼ cup of oil

–For the cocoa powder, I used Scharffen Berger “natural” which may have been why this cake was so good.

—And for the flour, I fluffed it up before measuring then used the spoon and sweep method.

It’s an easy cake, so give it a try. The fact that it’s from Eating Well, has less fat and some nutritional value from the pumpkin is just a bonus.

chocolate pumpkin bundt cake

chocolate pumpkin bundt cake slice

Comments

Yum. Mary at Food Librarian would be proud that you joined in her month of a bundt a day until Nov. 15–National Bundt Cake Day (and my birthday!) Check out her blog daily for some great big bundts! ;)
    This one sounds good and healthy with the pumpkin benefits. haha. I’ve been saving my S.B. Cocoa for just the right things. Same with the bars. Anymore suggestions?

Looks delicious. I made chocolate pumpkin cupcakes this month for cupcake hero and we devoured them. Such a tasty combination of flavors.

3. Louise says

I’m adding this recipe to my Holiday baking file. I just love the November and December issues of food magazines. Still waiting for my last Gourmet. :-( I’ve had a Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake recipe on my “to do” list for a while. http://www.fourtwoseven.com/chocolate-beet-cake , but I think since making Baked Brownies yesterday, Baked’s Root Beer Bundt Cake will move up the list.

4. Amanda says

That looks fabulous, I love bundt cakes cuz they go so easy on frosting, and sometimes don’t need it at all!

I played around with a chocolate pumpkin cake that I found last year and completely metamorphasized it (I know I spelled that wrong LOL) into something completely different. You should have seen me trying to come up with a name for it LOL I ended up with Amanda’s 4 Layer Chocolate Dappled Pumpkin Cake

ooooooohhhhh yummy :)

5. Karen says

Looks great, I am the queen of pumpkin-chocolate desserts, so definitely I’ll be trying this one.

6. gloria says

That cake looks delicious and has fiber and vitamin A to boot (why does “to boot” mean the same as ” as well”?) I wonder if I left the spices out if it would still be ok. I’m not a fan of cinnamon and chocolate.
    On another unrelated note, I have to say that for me your site is one of the easiest to read and navigate. It is light and bright and the font doesn’t make me squint!!!

Karen, definitely try it! This is my new favorite dessert from Eating Well.

Gloria, I’m so happy to hear this site doesn’t make you squint. LOL. It’s not perfect, but I’m learning as I go. I’m not sure if anyone noticed, but I justified the text early last week so the posting area is not so “bouncy” looking.

About the pumpkin pie spice, I wouldn’t take it out. To me, that’s what makes the cake special. But I know you love to play with recipes so maybe you could experiment with banana? I was thinking banana would be a good substitute for the pumpkin, but I think banana is sweeter and probably a little bit moister than pumpkin, so 15 oz of mashed banana might not be the same as 15 oz of mashed pumpkin. But I still think banana would be a good substitute if you could get the proportions right. Or you could just make Nicole’s marbled banana chocolate bundt cake. http://bakingbites.com/2007/09/marbled-banana-bundt-cake/

Anna, I’m so impressed–home barely a day, and already baking! That cake looks fantastic, and although I’ve seen that magazine on newsstands, I never really gave it a second glance–its entire website is fantastic!

9. Gloria says

I didn’t even think about banana, but what a good idea! Still, pumpkin will be tried first…maybe my taste buds have changed and I’ll like cinnamon and chocolate…I pretty much like anything and chocolate..

10. Angelica Macklin says

I made this cake this evening and it was a huge hit with everyone from my hubby to my kindergartner and toddler. Yum! I loved how the pumpkin flavor wasn’t overpowering yet it added something special to this chocolate bundt. The cake’s texture was phenomenal Definitely a keeper. Thank you for sharing :)

11. katherine says

This cake is delish! I used white whole wheat for the ww pastry flour and honey instead of corn syrup and it turned out fine in my opinion. Mine was done in about 50 mins. I will for sure make this again for the Holidays. Thanks Anna.

12. Lisa says

Hi Anna,
    I’m a long time lurker on your blog – I always love to see what you are trying, and I have a corgi, too, so I love the photos of Lizzie.
    I noticed your pile of food magazines and didn’t see a copy of Fine Cooking. Do you get the mag? I’d love to send you a free copy, if you’re interested. As an editor there, I am a bit biased, but I think our recipes are top notch and would love for you to try them.