Peanut Butter and Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

by on October 30, 2009 · 12 comments

Yesterday Therese sent me a recipe for Peanut Butter N’ Banana Bread. I must have been hungry because it sounded so good I went straight to the kitchen and made it — and this was after I’d cleaned up all the mess from the fudge.

Since the instructions said the banana bread needed to sit for 24 hours, I willed myself not to cut into it immediately and saved it for today’s snack. Ah, delayed gratification. It was worth it! This bread is sweet enough to satisfy as dessert, but not overly rich since most of the fat comes from the peanut butter and there’s just enough oil to keep the texture from being off (rubbery).

Here’s the recipe Therese sent along with a note saying it was adapted from BHG. This makes two loaves, but you can easily halve the recipe and make just one.

peanut butter and banana bread

Peanut Butter and Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ripe large bananas, mashed (1 cup)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk — I used mini chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9×5 inch loaf pans with flour-added cooking spray.

Stir flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.

Combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg in a second bowl. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into the two loaf pans and bake on center rack for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight
before serving.

Published on October 30, 2009

Therese B. October 30, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. This is soo good. Get’s better too when it sits a day.
You can keep in the refrigerator too.

Happy Friday!

Carrie October 30, 2009 at 4:27 pm

This sounds so good that I’m going to make it today. Why do you have to wrap and store overnight?

Thanks,
Carrie

Katrina October 30, 2009 at 4:34 pm

You had me at peanut butter. banana. and chocolate! But you knew that, didn’t you?!

Anna October 30, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Carrie, I think the bread just gets a little moister as it sits.

Therese B. October 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Hi Baking Pals…

I have had this bread warm out of the oven. My daughter LOVES anything with
peanut butter and chocolate. But, it does taste just a wee bit better overnight.
I keep it in the fridge. Also..next time Anna and ladies…ADD a little more
chips…a combo of milk and dark chocolate. YUM!

Carrie October 31, 2009 at 9:37 am

I made this last night and forced myself to wait until today to try it. It’s DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing, Anna!

Anna October 31, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Looks good! I’ve not yet made this one, but it’s a Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Bread from the Baltimore Sun:

Chris Mower October 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I just made banana bread yesterday! Ahhh, I should have checked your post first!

katherine November 1, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Despite this being a favorite taste combo of mine… I some how goofed this up along the way. I halved the recipe. I also spaced out and left it in the oven too long. Bummer! I will try it again once I have ripe bananas.

Anna November 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Yike! What a bummer. Still, maybe it will be okay. You might have dried it out a little bit, but it might have enough natural moistness to still be good.

Jen May 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I made this last night. I substituted whipping cream for the milk and smooth peanut butter for the crunchy because it’s what I had. I was a little concerned at first because the batter was so thick and I only had enough for one 9 x 5 and one 8 x 4 loaf. However, the bread is a hit here at the office. Thanks for the recipe.

Anna May 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm