Peanut Butter and Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

Yesterday Therese sent me a recipe for Peanut Butter N’ Banana Bread. I must have been hungry because it sounded so good I went straight to the kitchen and made it — and this was after I’d cleaned up all the mess from the fudge.

Since the instructions said the banana bread needed to sit for 24 hours, I willed myself not to cut into it immediately and saved it for today’s snack. Ah, delayed gratification. It was worth it! This bread is sweet enough to satisfy as dessert, but not overly rich since most of the fat comes from the peanut butter and there’s just enough oil to keep the texture from being off (rubbery).

Here’s the recipe Therese sent along with a note saying it was adapted from BHG. This makes two loaves, but you can easily halve the recipe and make just one.

peanut butter and banana bread

Peanut Butter and Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ripe large bananas, mashed (1 cup)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk — I used mini chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9×5 inch loaf pans with flour-added cooking spray.

Stir flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.

Combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg in a second bowl. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into the two loaf pans and bake on center rack for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight
before serving.

Comments

1. Therese B. says

Thanks for posting this recipe. This is soo good. Get’s better too when it sits a day.
    You can keep in the refrigerator too.

Happy Friday!

2. Carrie says

This sounds so good that I’m going to make it today. Why do you have to wrap and store overnight?

Thanks,
    Carrie

3. Therese B. says

Hi Baking Pals…

I have had this bread warm out of the oven. My daughter LOVES anything with
    peanut butter and chocolate. But, it does taste just a wee bit better overnight.
    I keep it in the fridge. Also..next time Anna and ladies…ADD a little more
    chips…a combo of milk and dark chocolate. YUM!

4. Carrie says

I made this last night and forced myself to wait until today to try it. It’s DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing, Anna!

5. katherine says

Despite this being a favorite taste combo of mine… I some how goofed this up along the way. I halved the recipe. I also spaced out and left it in the oven too long. Bummer! I will try it again once I have ripe bananas.

Yike! What a bummer. Still, maybe it will be okay. You might have dried it out a little bit, but it might have enough natural moistness to still be good.

7. Jen says

I made this last night. I substituted whipping cream for the milk and smooth peanut butter for the crunchy because it’s what I had. I was a little concerned at first because the batter was so thick and I only had enough for one 9 x 5 and one 8 x 4 loaf. However, the bread is a hit here at the office. Thanks for the recipe.