Chile and Lime Corn Squares Mix

by on November 21, 2009 · 11 comments

I couldn’t find any Corn Chex the other day and had to the store’s house brand “Corn Squares” which weren’t half bad. In fact, they were (are) quite good and I can’t stop eating them. Since I’m already addicted to the dry cereal, I figured I might as well take it a step further and make the recipe on the box which is a Mexican twist on the even more addictive Chex party mix. Luckily, I only made a half batch. It’s got a lot of zest to it, but I still keep thinking I need to go back and double-triple-quadruple-check it to make sure the level of zinginess is right. I’d better go get some more right now, in fact.

I used Gebhardt non-spicy chili powder. If you like hot things, the spicy kind might be worth a try.

chile lime corn squares mix

Chile and Lime Corn Squares Mix

5 cups “Corn Squares” cereal (or use Corn Chex)
1 cup lightly salted peanuts
3 cups mini pretzels
1/3 cup salted or unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (like Gebhardt — the kind you use in chili)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray.

Mix the cereal, peanuts and pretzels together in the pan.

Melt the butter and stir in the chili powder and lime. Pour over the cereal mixture and toss to coat.

Bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.

Published on November 21, 2009

Louise November 21, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Hmmm. This looks really good. Like something I should take to Girls Night Out.

Amy November 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm

That sort of thing is dangerous around me :)

Trish November 21, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Okay…this I have such fond memories of this time of year… Of course, not with as much ‘zing’….but I do like it that way. Say, that would pack up nice for a treat to send the son back to University one of these weekends that he comes home.

Sue November 21, 2009 at 7:11 pm

This sounds like it would be good with a beer or margarita! :-) Maybe too good!

Katrina November 21, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I LOVE Chex Mix/Trail Mixes, etc. Kevin thinks they are GROSS. He’s weird, I’ve always said that! ;)
The lime sounds great. Can you taste the lime much? What if there was a little zest? Would that be too much.
Lucky for me, the boys do like Chex Mix.

LilSis November 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I like the idea of the chili powder in this! We loved Chex Mix when we were kids! And Corn Chex is actually my favorite!

Anna November 22, 2009 at 7:36 am

Katrina, the lime is one of the things you taste the most. I liked this recipe a lot. If you’re hesitant about it being zesty from the lime, the Chex website has another one made with taco seasoning.

This would definitely be good with beer.

Susan November 22, 2009 at 12:10 pm

That would be so easy to make gluten-free now that Chex has gone GF! (& the Glutino pretzels) Any idea on a substitute for the peanuts? Pretty serious peanut/tree nut allergy with my kid. Maybe sunflower seeds?

dawn November 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm

lime juice! excellent idea.

Julie November 28, 2009 at 8:54 am

I don’t mean to be a dingbat, but when you say “chili powder–the kind you use in chili,” do you mean like a chili seasoning packet or do you mean chili powder out of a spice bottle? We don’t have the brand you mentioned ’round these parts so I’m not quite sure which you mean. :)

Anna November 28, 2009 at 9:07 am

Great question! I use Gebhardt – it’s a blend, actually.